Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Which replacement Orange P7 dropout
  • keppoch

I have a 2008 P7. It came with two bolt sliding dropouts that were well known for slipping so Orange offered replacements. Mine didn’t initially slip but does quite a lot now now so I was looking to replace them.

I thought the new ones had three bolts on both sides but on this page only the NDS ones seem to have three holes. Which one do I need and is there a 3 hole DS dropout for the older frames?

Looking at the page can anyone recall if the 7.5mm thickness was as originally fitted or thicker? If thicker than the originals then I guess I should buy both NDS and DS.

composite
    Free Member

Dam you took a look at the page which reminded me that I needed to order a new spare mech hanger for my Five! £18.50 with postage!!!

Can’t help with your actual question sorry, my P7 is 3 bolt both sides but it’s a 2010. I would get in touch with them and ask.

enfht
    Free Member

3 bolt is NDS only because its only that side that moves under braking load. You’ll need to modify the frame, making the original pannier hole wider to accommodate the third bolt. Mine’s been fine ever since.

keppoch

What does the modification involve? Tapping for a larger thread?

PhilO
    Free Member

Not sure about the ‘official’ mod, but on my 08 frame I helicoiled* the dropouts to M6 & enlarged the (5mm) slots in the frame to accept the M6 screws. So far**, it’s been solid with two screws like that.

* Or rather, cheap unbranded inserts bouggt for about £8 on Ebay.

** About a year and a half.

keppoch

I called Orange at lunchtime who seemed to sugges I only need the NDS as it is the brake that causes the loosening and the third bolt requires you to drill through the rack mount hole and then the bolt goes through it rather than screwing into it.

I will order one and take a look.

enfht
    Free Member

Yes drill through the existing hole to make it bigger.

Im still annoyed Orange charged me for the dropout considering I had to also buy the drill bit, all to fix what could be argued as a design flaw…

keppoch

It isn’t great but it beats the frame folding in half which seems to be quite a common design flaw given some of the posts on here.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Which replacement Orange P7 dropout’ is closed to new replies.