Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Which rear mudguard?
  • intheborders
    Free Member

Broke my bodged rear mudguard today.

Anyone got any recs for something that’ll cover:
    1 29er
    2 HT
    3 200mm dropper

The long dropper means that the mudguard really needs the ability to change the angle at the seat and at the tyre plus not need to seatpost removing to put on/off.

duncancallum

Mudhugger

Northwind

Mudhuggers are hideous but they really do work.

z1ppy

Mudhugger for fit & forget, but likes of topeaks defender works pretty well if you have space under your droppers collar & want to be able to remove it easily

ajantom

Mudhugger, but the 29er crudcatcher works quite well if you’ve room on the post.

oceanskipper

Quite impressed with the Topeak Defender. It’s quite sturdy and seems to stay put once fitted. Doesn’t look too bad either.

P.S the front one is a bit rubbish.. I gota Rapid Racer bolt on for the front.

deltacharlie72
    Free Member

Quite impressed with the Topeak Defender. It’s quite sturdy and seems to stay put once fitted. Doesn’t look too bad either.

P.S the front one is a bit rubbish.. I gota Rapid Racer bolt on for the front.

This. The Topeak Defender XC11 rear is solid, very adjustable and can be quickly & easily removed/fitted depending on the season/conditions. I’ve got just enough room on my dropper post to squeeze it in.

Agree that the M1 front is however rubbish!

intheborders
    Free Member

Unfortunately this was the one that failed, when it’s installed at the very top of the post (below the collar) it’s at about a 45 degree angle over the back wheel. Mainly because of the angle and only having a single bolt.

I’ll try a Mudhugger, ta.

TheGhost
    Free Member

Make sure you wrap your frame well before installing the mudhugger. Helitape plus inner tube. Anything that is zip tied to a frame or fork will move slightly. Once tiny grit particles get in you have a very slow sander attached to you expensive bike.

jimmy

Mudhugger +1. Don’t even notice how it looks in the dark and filth, but getting home relatively spotless is worth any sniggering from the haterz.

highpeakrider
    Free Member

Gives great coverage, I’m not fond on mudguards an a mtb but this stops me getting a wet arse and covered in mud.

https://www.merlincycles.com/zefal-deflector-rs75-mtb-rear-mudguard-163864.html

porter_jamie

i have a mudhugger 29er rear. its hideous. but hugely effective, so i dont care

deltacharlie72
    Free Member

Unfortunately this was the one that failed, when it’s installed at the very top of the post (below the collar) it’s at about a 45 degree angle over the back wheel. Mainly because of the angle and only having a single bolt.

You can adjust the bracket where it attaches to the mudguard to vary the angle at which the mudguard sits over your rear wheel. I’ve got mine set up so it is pretty much flat.

Vitus Sentier

ajantom

Make sure you wrap your frame well before installing the mudhugger. Helitape plus inner tube. Anything that is zip tied to a frame or fork will move slightly. Once tiny grit particles get in you have a very slow sander attached to you expensive bike.

I find that a wrap of protection tape (heli-tape or similar) and then a layer of self-amalgamating tape over the top of that works very well.
    Because the SA tape sticks to itself, it moves less and doesn’t let any water or particles in.

b33k34

I can’t believe people are still suggesting anything other than a mud hugger. They just work so much more effectively than anything else and all of the seat post mounted ones break or get knocked or you catch yourself on them. Look better than the others too IMO.

ajantom

all of the seat post mounted ones break or get knocked or you catch yourself on them. Look better than the others too IMO.

Have you not seen the thing of beauty that I created from combining an MTB and road Crudcatcher?
    Looks horrible/weird, works amazingly well 😆

lardman
    Free Member

Topeak Defender M1/M2 is very adjustable, and pretty tough. Clamps onto all 3 of my bikes…. adjusts to being attached to either frame, or seatpost.

z1ppy

ajantom, I’m not sure what going on there but it’s making my mudhugger look good though 😉

ajantom

@z1ppy
    I’ve got a Mudhgger on another bike, but as I already owned this CC I didn’t want to chuck it out.

I’ve found as they get used the fit between the guard and the clamp becomes loose, as it’s a push/clip fit.
    So the guard swings around from side to side, and your arse gets sprayed with mud.

I added an extension on the end too, as it’s not quite long enough. This exacerbated the side to side wobble issue.

So I cut off a couple of stays from a broken Road Crudcatcher and used them to make the whole thing more stable.
    It’s a bit like an updated version of the Mk1 Raceguard.

Amazingly it works! Looks pants though 😆

deltacharlie72
    Free Member

I find that a wrap of protection tape (heli-tape or similar) and then a layer of self-amalgamating tape over the top of that works very well.
    Because the SA tape sticks to itself, it moves less and doesn’t let any water or particles in.

Is this stuff like the 3M (2228) rubber butyl tape? Are there any issues removing it after a period of time? I’ve seen people in some places suggesting it can sometimes take the paint with it.

ajantom

Is this stuff like the 3M (2228) rubber butyl tape? Are there any issues removing it after a period of time? I’ve seen people in some places suggesting it can sometimes take the paint with it.

I think the 3M stuff actually sticks to the paint, so no, I use the standard stuff you’ll get from a hardware store.
    As you wrap it around it sticks to itself, but not to metal or paint.
    I always use it for chainstays.

wzzzz
    Free Member

mudhugger mudhugger mudhugger

Get the long one

However if you like to whip it off everytime the sun comes out, they are a PITA with 12 zip ties each time.

If thats the case get the Crud rear 29er XL seatpost mount, just 1 bolt and easy to remove and replace. On a hardtail mount it as close as you can to the tyre. On FS you leave room for travel and it will be less effective.

intheborders
    Free Member

i have a mudhugger 29er rear. its hideous. but hugely effective, so i dont care

Bought one and arrived yesterday.
    Fitted and rode today – wet, muddy, icy, slushy – the lot.
    Backside totally dry.

Thanks all.

ElShalimo

@deltacharlie72 – which front mudguard is that?

deltacharlie72
    Free Member

@ElShalimo It’s the standard RRP ProGuard. But I lengthened & opened up the small cable-tie holes so I could attach it using velcro ties instead.

ElShalimo

thanks

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Which rear mudguard?’ is closed to new replies.