Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Which rear mudguard? (sorry)
  • tops5
    Free Member

To swap between commuter/hartail/full suss

Going for a wander to Harry Halls at lunch – not used one for years, what do folks find best?

stumpy01

If you are swapping them out, then the crud guard is hard to beat for removing & replacing. Just make sure you get one that has the newer keyed bolt design, so it doesn’t end up just spinning around like mine does.

Only thing you’ll need to worry about is the rubber shims for different seatpost sizes…..they come with the guard, but just make sure you know where they are if you are regularly swapping.

tops5
    Free Member

Cheers Stumpy! 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I recently bought one of the V-brake fitting ones from decathon (about £7) and some p-clips off ebay (£5 for 50, so if anyone needs soem 1/2″ ones then give me a shout).

The advantages as far as I can see are;
    a) looks less crap than a seatpost mounted guard.
    b) much closer to the tyre so actualy stops some mud
    c) wraps arround the tyre so catches mud that would otherwise spray arround the sides.
    d) moves with the suspension which means it’s always int he perfect position, not 6″ above the rear wheel doing nothing.

z1ppy

+1 to thisisnotaspoon, that the best mud guard in the world, and not a bad looker too (as mudguards go) if you can make it fit to your bike.

My inbred has one, but my full sussers have to make do with a crud catchers.
    I believe zefal now make a rip off of the Decathlon one, with chainstay clamps as part of the kit

druidh
    Free Member

I have one of them Decathlon ones too and it’s great. Zefal have no launched the “no-mud” which looks very similar but comes with fittings for bikes with no canti-studs. £15, but saves faffing about with P-Clips.

tops5
    Free Member

Thanks guys – Crudcatcher for now but will look into that one ^ for the 456 (actually it might fit the Covert too)

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Good thing about the crud on an inbred or 456 is that it will clamp onto the seat tube rather than seat post so not a fuss when dropping saddle etc.

stumpy01

dufresneorama – Member
    Good thing about the crud on an inbred or 456 is that it will clamp onto the seat tube rather than seat post so not a fuss when dropping saddle etc.

Oooooh, never thought of that! Will have to give that a go.

Although saying that, I forgot about that Decathlon one. Might get one of those for the Inbred; just need to put the brake boss mounts onto it.

That Zefal combo above looks pretty neat.

Pieface

If you’re swapping between bikes the SKS shockboard (?) is best as its QR, but difficult to get tight enough to stay in one spot.

project
    Free Member

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_270335_langId_-1_categoryId_210163

Ive got a cheap one from Halfords, multi adjustable,

good quality clamp, and it does the job

The arm tilts to any angle and it folds flat for storage.

You can also use it for cleaning gutters .

WackoAK
    Free Member

I’ve got the Topeak Defender M2 fitted to a summer season. Like others have said the 456 is great as you can attach it to the seat tube meaning it stays nice and low resulting in less getting through.

It’s easily adjustable with out needing shims to fit all sizes.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Which rear mudguard? (sorry)’ is closed to new replies.