Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Which race emergency jacket paclite vs motane vs?
  • wenanwhere
    Free Member

Looking for something lightweight that fits in to the back pocket for emergency use, is the montane featherlite the best out there? How small do paclite gore jackets stuff down to these days? Preferably at least a bit waterproof/water resistant?

Any thoughts?

100mphplus
    Free Member

I was thinking of getting a Montane but all the reviews say it’s just a ‘boil in the bag’ and you end up just as wet from perspiration than getting rained on!

chakaping
    Free Member

I find the Montane OK, but I use it more for a bit of warmth than waterproofness.

If it’s only raining a bit I’d probably just keep riding, if it’s really chucking it then it’ll soak through quickly.

Wouldn’t use it if racing, unless I’d got a mechanical and was walking back.

sefton
    Free Member

haglofs (best outdoor kit there is)

have a look at there oz jacket (no cheap…but the best)!

StirlingCrispin

I use the Montane for the purpose you propose.
    It fits neatly into my pocket so I always have it with me – I prefer to fold it rather than use the stuff sack. One day I’ll figure a way to position it under the saddle above my muppet bag.

It gets pulled on if it’s cold at the top of the local hill or if it starts to rain or snow. Yes, I boil in the bag but then I am pulling it on over clothing sufficient to keep me warm most of the time, so I just take it off when I descend.

colonelwax
    Free Member

I find Paclite to be just as boil-in-the-bag TBH. I’ve got 2, a Mountain Hardwear and Nike ACG (£17 from TK Maxx) which are OK as they’ve got massive pit zips, but the fabric’s not very breathable. Took the scissors to the Nike one and folds up pretty small so it’s ok as a back up, but something like the Montane one would be smaller.

How about a cheapo roadie race cape? Designed for racing too.

Coleman
    Free Member

I use an Altura Pocket Rocket – packs really small, waterproof and breathable no frills jacket.

SiB
    Free Member

Montane featherlite was just like cling film on me, cling film just as wet on inside as outside, good on a dry summers evening. Also got a montane event which is a great jacket but may not store small enough for your purposes without sticking out of your pocket

slugwash
    Free Member

I’ve got a Montane featherlite smock and an Altura Crompton and the latter’s the one I boil in, despite having a full length zip. The Featherlite’s brilliant. Highly windproof, not uncomfortable or clammy when worn over a short sleeve T-shirt & touching your skin and has fairly good water resistance except in atrocious downpours. I wear it most of the time when it’s raining in preference to a proper waterproof as the breathability’s better so it’s less sauna like.

Rik
    Free Member

Omm cypher event – 240g nuff said. Way betterer than hagolfs Oz as it’s event not paclite.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve a fairly basic gillet, works well enough.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

The Featherlight is nowhere near waterproof, wouldnt even call it water resistant, certainly not suitable in an “emergency”, unless the wind is chilling you.

Surprised to hear people say that they dont find Paclite to be breathable, you dont get a much more breathable waterproof material.

Featherlight about £40, Paclite £150….

theteaboy
    Free Member

I have both Montane featherlites – the windproof and the waterproof H20.

Both are amazing value for money but in terms of waterproofness and breathability, you’d be better off spending 200% more money.

As emergency backups, they’re great. And they pack ridiculously small.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Featherlites are great – for being tiny and shedding the worst off you if you get caught out.

I wouldn’t set out to ride in it all day. I have two eVent jackets, which are terrific, but neither packs down anywhere near as small, and they weigh a tonne in comparison too.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Altura Pocket Rocket, waterproof with taped seams,reasonably breathable, folds to the size of an apple

roady_tony
    Free Member

yup montanes are good as backups for getting caught out either in rain, or for chilly descents from top of alpine climbs – would not be my first choice if i was specifically heading out in the rain….

with so many ‘rain’ jackets out there, its tricky to decide , and they are not exactly cheap either….

jonb
    Free Member

I vote for the featherlight. It’s clingy when wet because it’s so thin. Works best with a long sleeve top. If you are wearing short sleeves and racing just carry a gillet.

Never found it particularly sweaty but it isn’t that waterproof either. It’s a fairly large compromise. It’s not perfect but it’s small. In the vast majority of races I don’t wear a jacket even if it’s raining because the ffort is keeping me warm and I sweat in jackets. Even up to 5 hours I am fine (Grassington marathon last year was pretty damp). IT does keep you warm which is the important bit. Aferall the wetness isn’t the real problem, it’s the getting cold.

There are a few about but for the money the featherlight is great for what I want and I’d buy another one.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i’ve got one and it is good for what it is. it is a bit sweaty if it stays warm when it rains. but for those long days when you just can’t tell if the weather will come in it’s ace.

wouldn’t take it up a mountain as my only waterproof though.

wenanwhere
    Free Member

How does the altura pocket rocket size up it terms of size against the montane?

neninja
    Free Member

I take a Featherlite smock on most rides when it’s warm enough not to wear a more substantial jacket.

Packs really small and light and has kept me dry in drizzle and light showers – anything more than that and you’ll get wet

Del

if you’re sweating in the featherlite you’d be roasting in a proper waterproof made from eVent or paclite.
    if the rain is going sideways, it’s below freezing, or you’ve stopped for some reason, then a waterproof works well for mountain biking. for anything else the featherlite, with the DWR maintained, is adequate.

colonelwax
    Free Member

Surprised to hear people say that they dont find Paclite to be breathable, you dont get a much more breathable waterproof material.

Fairly sure it’s the least breathable Gore fabric (Proshell and XCR are better) and they’re all less breathable than Event.

Doesn’t make it worse coz it packs up smaller.

Oh, and I’ve got a featherlite which doesn’t keep the rain off but is good if you’re going quickly, keeps the wind off and is breathable (don’t make much difference when you’re soaked tho)

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Which race emergency jacket paclite vs motane vs?’ is closed to new replies.