Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • which portable bbq would you recommend?
  • juanking

All with this lovely weather upon us the old portable bbq needs updating. I am torn between a Hibachi Grilleto or a Weber Smokey Joe. Does anyone have either of these and if so would you recommend it? Thanks folks!

TheFlyingOx

Here’s my portable BBQ:

Works anywhere. Moorlands, dry forests, near open gas works, etc.

cranberry
    Free Member

I’ve got a son of Hibatchi – very good, with a well thought-through design.

It is very quick to get up to cooking temp, a slight downside – it tends not to burn for as long as conventional BBQs.

GrahamA
    Free Member

I Have a Weber Go Anywhere as I prefer rectangular grills to round. Just right for 3/4 people and you can fit the charcoal and other bits inside.

kevonakona
    Free Member

Got an older version of one of these Bodum BBQ really good.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Weber q120 (With shock horror GAS!!!) not to start another big argument but you can bbq on gas and still be a real man, the whole of australia can’t be that wrong

uplink
    Free Member

sharkbait
    Free Member

If you can cope with gas we also have a Weber Q120 in our beach hut and its very very good.
    I’ve inserted a snap connector in the gas hose that allows us to change quickly between a big gas cylinder (which is cheaper to run and is what we use 90% of the time) and a small gas cylinder which makes the whole unit very easy to move around and is great if we’re cooking on the beach/on another beach.

Northwind

I’m not sure this is the same one but I had a lend of one of these for a while, fab…

Much in the spirit of the old hibachi really except easier to put in a car. Son of Hibachi also looks brilliant but never used one.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I have just left the grilleto (son of (affecting your wallet) hibachi) to self clean after it’s second use in two days. I flipping love it!!! Had it for a year now, was ace in Scotland on hol in the summer, 3 bar bs on the beach whilst we were there and one late night star gazing affair. It is honestly brilliant and the snuff out pouch thing does work but o wouldn’t be putting it straight back in my car boot, NASA science or not!! All in all 8.8 out of 10

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Had the Weber Smokey Joe and now have a Weber Go Anywhere and a Grilleto aka Son of Hibachi.

The Grilleto is very clever and has proper cast iron grills but the Go Anywhere is a better bbq to cook on – esp for more people: Longer (for big skewers etc)more controllable, burns better and has a lid which helps cook bigger stuff.

>not to start another big argument but you can bbq on gas and still be a real man<

No comparison – Gas is p1sh. Australia’s welcome to it…

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I use a cobb oven – not cheap, but brilliant. Outer wall stays cool, so you can use it anywhere or even move it whle in action. It also hot smokes and has a moat affair which drains fat away from what’s cooking, can be used to add flavour and keeps what’s cooking moist. Does chicken amazingly. Fill the moat with water and lemon juice for moist lemony chicken. Just brilliant

>not to start another big argument but you can bbq on gas and still be a real man<

Nothing to argue about – you’re wrong

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Non of these barbeques sound particularly portable. I know the cobb etc are movable but they require an accessory kit with them that doesnt really make them very portable. They dont pack down much and require special fuels.

My portable barbeque was given to me a couple of years ago. Basically a square bucket that folds down to flat. A grill and……..thats it. A bag of quick light and you have a barbie that will cook for the family then chuck some firewood on it and you have a fire for the night to sit around and chat.

I think it cost about £10 new.

molgrips
    Free Member

I got one from John Lewis that’s made like a magazine rack, and folds completely flat. Genius design.

EDIT: JL don’t do them any more but (clicky)

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Thats a similar idea to mine. Mines a bit smaller and square though

Stoner
    Free Member

Ive had that one of molgrips but cant say it’s great. Lasts a season maybe but rusts to hell, paint burns in the heat.

molgrips
    Free Member

Our paint hasn’t burned. Some of the grille bits have gone a bit brown but that always happens. Sure it’s not the perfect barbecue but it’s 25 quid and takes up almost no space at all in your car. This is why we got it. Ours is three or four seasons old.

jools182
    Free Member

just ordered one that Northwind suggested

looks like a good buy, we’ll see when it arrives 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

We had one of those. Gave it away – freed up room in the car, and the replacement rattled a lot less.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Its a portable barbeque. As long as the grill is clean, who cares about the rest of it?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘which portable bbq would you recommend?’ is closed to new replies.