Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Which pedals ?
  • Tracey

Abigale has decided that she would like to go clipless, she wants some Five Ten hellcats but no idea on what pedals.

Whats your recommendations?

burmaboy
    Free Member

Shimano M540 or XT if you wanna be posher.

I have used and abused pairs for 4-5 years before replacing only because i fancied shiny new ones.

I personally think the trail versions are pointless and add no added support whatsoever. So id say stick to the xc/standard variant.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Got the trail pedals on my FS, don’t get on with them, get hotspots above the cage even on fairly stiff shoes but I’m too tight to replace them and they’re too new to take a hacksaw to!

So yeah boggo 520’s cheap, work, er…. cheap.

wl
    Free Member

If you can still get them, Superstar Ultra Mag have been working well for me for years. Cheap, very light, great bearings, and surprisingly robust cages for a ‘mag’ pedal. Also, if you do smash pins out, they tend not to take the threads with them, so you just replace the pins (unlike some other mag pedals). I get 2-3 hard years out of each pair without any maintenance, always bought at discount. There will be tougher pedals out there though, for sure.

Clobber
    Free Member

Time atac give nice float and decent platform as opposed to shimano whose system doesn’t allow support just like burmaboy mentions above.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/time-atac-mx2-pedals/rp-prod120914

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Time. Only clipless pedals allowed!

40mpg

3rd Time.

scoop
    Free Member

it’s Time for me too…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Time.

Nice amount of float, easy in and out, but no accidental unclipping.

If it wasn’t for sair knees, I would still be on them, instead of flats.

Denis99
    Free Member

Time

VanHalen

Err I like cb mallets. they work really well with a range of clipless shoes.

warpcow
    Free Member

As if you needed another: Time!

MX2s are a good shout for decent, cheap-ish trail pedals.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

How much are time pedals? M540’s are £26 last years and weigh almost the same as XT, and quite a lot less than 520’s

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

M530 trail . Brillbags

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yes, time are more expensive, but are better. My brain can comprehend this simple fact.

letmetalktomark

🙁

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

That picture of a stick zip tied to your bike has really tickled me . LOLZ sorry . Why did you go for that particular stick?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Why did you go for that particular stick?

Laterally stiff, yet vertically compliant.

letmetalktomark

For both of those reasons 🙂

If worked for a few KM but the started smoking ….. 😯

Not the best 10k back to the car park …..

Replaced with some 540s

parkesie
    Free Member

Did the stick have the required amount of float?

pitduck
    Free Member

time,much better for knees

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Time, for older knees too.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Recently made the switch from M530s to Crank Brother Mallet pedals and the CB are much better platform especially if you are having to dab on muddy fresh cut sections.

scotroutes

The new Mallet E’s look excellent. Probably my next purchase.
    http://www.crankbrothers.com/product/view/474

BillMC

Time. Had 5 or 6 pairs, never let me down.

rickmeister

Time and time again
    Time after time
    About time
    Just in time
    Time flies

MSP

If she has been riding flats I would go for the mallets, especially when matched with five ten shoes, then even if having trouble clipping in you have a platform and some grip.

Shimano are also meant to be bringing out a pinned platform clipples pedal soon.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

a lot of love for Time. which models are we talking about? i sacked off my MX4’s and went back to shimano xt 785s

RoterStern
    Free Member

a lot of love for Time. which models are we talking about?

Time pedals all operate and perform on the same basic principal they just use different materials to offer different weights/prices.

Clobber
    Free Member

Crank brothers do also have a good platform but it depends if you enjoy maintenance, I’ve never had to touch any of my time pedals, whereas my friends CB’s….

legend
    Free Member

When starting with clips, just buy Shimano. After using them for a good while, and you’ve decided which traits you like and don’t like, start looking at other brands.

Time are great but the extra float isn’t necessarily a good feeling when used to having no float at all. The extra angle needed to unclip also might not be helpful for a newcomer. The bars on them are also the sloppiest things in the world if it’s all going wrong!

CB have their infamous reliability issues, but the lack of adjustment might be a problem. With Shimano (and Time now) you can play about with the tension so that you find what works for you before committing to one setting.

Tracey

Thanks for the input, she has only ever ridden flats but feels the time is right to make the transition.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Another vote for Time ATAC.

legend
    Free Member

Just remembered how cheap Shimanos get at Merlin right now. These are all anyone needs to get going http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-m530-trail-spd-pedals-54581.html bearings are good, mechanism is good, barely heavier than XTs, cage helps with confidence

warpcow
    Free Member

Tracey – Member
    …the time is right…

You said it yourself.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

So Time are good if you have knackered knees and need a big platform.

Shimano are good if you want them to last years, are much lighter than Time, and cheaper too

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Time are also good if you want light, durable and excellent in mud. XC8 on my gnarmac bridleslayer, for example.

Shimano are good. That’s true. Time are just better. Only ever seen one broken Time pedal, one of the Z platforms which smashed a rock. Broke the corner of the platform off, but the rest of the pedal worked perfectly.

poah
    Free Member

Shimano are good if you want them to last years

I bought a pair of time atac pedals around 1998 when they first released them, I replaced them a few months ago only because I fanced somthing different. They went on my hard tail bike and are still in use. Time pedals last a long time

legend
    Free Member

Shimano are just the middle ground. Very good pedals that will generally work for all but Time offer more float and are bullet-proof whilst CB have multi-position entry and the excuse to go faff with your bike all the time.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Which pedals ?’ is closed to new replies.