Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • which one of these would you buy with your own hard earned cash? Road content!
  • rhid

Following on from my cube sizing thread yesterday I was just wondering which one of these 2 would you buy and why really?

Cube Peloton Sora at £500
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?show=5259

Cube Agree GTC Tiagra £800
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?show=4671

Thankyou

rhid

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Neither, I’d be going for a Cannondale if I was to buy a bike with that budget..

Better groupset than either of the cubes.

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p5229/CANNONDALE-CAAD8-105-COMPACT-2013

rhid

There is also a Synapse Alloy 105 for 780ish that I looked at too.

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p4332/CANNONDALE-SYNAPSE-ALLOY-105-2012

Part of me says just buy the budget one, its lighter and more useful for longer rides than my current cxy bike. Ride it for a year, if I really get into it sell it then buy something more better. However part of me is saying – well if you are going to spend 500 then xyz bike is available for a bit more and its got better this and that bits on it! What I want to know really is what would you do and why??

geordiepaul
    Free Member

Sora is 9 speed, Tiagra 10.
    Sora would really limit upgrading as you’d have to upgrade the entire groupset in one go.

D0NK

What I want to know really is what would you do and why??

save up some more and get full carbon and >=105 groupset. Starting with the PX pro carbon but looking out for deals elsewhere.

TiRed

I’d go for the CAAD8 105. Fantastic frame, good groupset, poor wheels. If you must buy Cube, then ten-speed Tiagra. It’s a very good groupset too and the wheels are better quality than the Cannondale. But the frame of the Cannondale is one of the best alloy frames around at any price.

We have a CAAD8 Tiagra that has been upgraded and raced successfully. It has a long headtube but still retains race geometry.

chakaping
    Free Member

There is also a Synapse Alloy 105 for 780ish

Of the bikes you’ve mentioned, this one.

wilburt
    Free Member

Those CAAD 8s are very nice, build into a good sport/fitness bike but also practicle.

Yep wheels are shocking but they are on most complete bikes.

chakaping
    Free Member

Ribble are doing a carbon bike with Tiagra for £700 at the moment too btw.

martymac

mate has a caad8, its lovely.
    if i was buying one i would go for 105, the hoods are a better shape than tiagra, plus no gear cables in front of you. (this makes a real difference at night, as the cables reflect light)
    wheels are poop tho, no doubt about that.

rhid

I had a CAAD8 for about 6 months, it was my first real road bike. TO be fair it never really struck me as anything special. It was a few years old but still!

ElShalimo

Look at Merlin website
    ProRace Electra is great value, full 105 Shimano 501 wheelset etc

Archibald
    Free Member

I’m in the same boat and can’t decide between the caad 8 or Synapse linked or a rose sl-pro2000, a canyon roadlite al 6.0 or maybe build a genesis equilibrium or go cheaper whith a planet x rt58 tiagra.

Sorry to hijack the thread but you seem in the same decision process as my self.

TiRed

caad 8 or Synapse

Almost no difference. Synapse has a 1cm longer head tube, but the CAAD8 has a long headtube (15. cm in 54) and a high top to raise the bars further. CAAD8 has half a degree steeper head angle, which will give it a 0.5cm longer top tube and slightly faster steering. CAAD8 wheelbase is slightly shorter for better handling. But to be honest, you won’t really notice the difference.

Pick on colour, or Synapse if you need really high bars.

rascal
    Free Member

I bought the 2013 Cube Agree GTC Pro off CRC for £930 recently (down from £1400) – same frame.
    Lovely bike – super smooth frame 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘which one of these would you buy with your own hard earned cash? Road content!’ is closed to new replies.