Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Which oldish car to keep?
  • bencooper
    Free Member

A bit of a dilemma we’re stuck with, and I could do with some advice from people who know about cars. We’ve currently got an ’05 plate Smart Forfour, but have been offered an ’05 plate Renault Megane by my parents who just bought a new car. So basically we can keep one, but can’t decide which one to keep:

’05 Smart Forfour 1.3, about 75,000 miles, has had very few problems apart from the AC which hasn’t worked for several years.

’05 Renault Megane 1.6, about 26,000 miles, had a few niggly electrical problems but now all okay except the blower only works on full.

So keep the small, efficient car with high mileage, or the larger car with low mileage (and working AC)?

Thanks 😉

geoffj

Sell them both and buy something better/newer

Junkyard
    Free Member

take their car and then sell it and buy a nice bike may have change to fix your AC

maccruiskeen

a consideration with the milage is how much milage you do, if you’re a pretty low milage driver then the costs of running a 75k car is pretty similar to a 25k one – unless either is approaching an expensive timing belt change.

Think about how long you’d keep the car and the miles you’re likely to do in that time, and the service milestones either will pass in that time. Over a longer time frame – 5 years perhaps- both would incur a timing belt change, just one sooner and one later. But unless you drive a lot then neither are would incur two belt changes.

and buy a nice bike

yeah Ben, buy yourself a nice bike. I don’t know how you’ve managed all this time with just the one 🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

Hah, yes, much as I hate saying it, but I think I’ve got enough bikes for the moment 😉

I’ll look into the timing belt thing, thanks – we don’t do huge mileages I think, but more than the parents obviously!

codybrennan
    Free Member

I’d keep the ForFour. Good mechanicals, robust body, decent electricals, not bad to drive. Look ok, to me, anyway.

I’d take it along to Kwik-Fit and get them to do a re-gas on the A/C. If it holds, you’ve fixed it, and you’re only out about 45 quid. If it doesn’t, you get it for nothing, and you have a bit more diagnostic info to go on (ie, its not as simple as needing a re-gas….)

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I may be missing something here, but isnt there a possibility of a conversation between some very nice parents in the near future:

“I cant believe we gave Ben out perfectly nice car and he just sold it and still drives around in that overheating tupperware box. No wonder….”

Or have you got their ok to just sell their car and pocket the cash?

vondally
    Free Member

which do you like driving the best?

Does either make you smile more than the other?

excellent point on timing belts….

running costs inc insurance…smart lower…put money you save on running in savings for that rainy day or new bike

Smart with 75k is what I would choose

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Having had experience of a number of French cars, mainly Renaults, I avoid all french cars.

As you say 26k and some niggly problems!

martymac

get rid of both and buy a petrol focus with the best condition/mileage for the money.
    on an older car, simplicity is best, less to go wrong.

trail_rat
    Free Member

both will be at timing belt if they have never been changed unless the smart is a chain.

id just keep the smart till it dies – its better the devil you know – unless its got niggly problems 😉

stumpy01

Better the devil you know. No way I’d be going near the Renault. They weren’t nicknamed the Migraine for nothing!

Gary_C

Keep the Mitsubishi Colt err, ForFour.

It’s only a matter of time before more electrical gremlins appear on the Megane.

peterfastlane
    Free Member

As martymac says, get rid of both and get a focus. The smart is an unknown quantity at this mileage, and the Renault is known for electrical/reliability faults

bencooper
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice – the Smart is indeed a chain not a belt (that’s better, right?) – sounds as if keeping the Smart is the better option. I don’t think it’d be fair to take the Megane then sell it 😉

I’m not really a car person, can you tell? Just want something to carry bike stuff and offspring reliably. Besides, I’ve just bodged the Smart seats to fold flat by removing a spare bit…

uwe-r
    Free Member

Step away from the renault!

You have been warned.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

yep, get shot of the Renault.

They’re good at cheese and surrendering, not electrics in cars, and that goes for all French cars in my opinion.

Harry_the_Spider

Isn’t the “spare bit” supposed to stop you being folded in half in the event of a shunt?

avdave2

Isn’t the “spare bit” supposed to stop you being folded in half in the event of a shunt?

Yes but it’ll be fine as long as you give it to the passenger to hold.

Matt24k
    Free Member

He’ll be fine it’s only the spare bit from the passenger seat.
    Note to self: Never accept a lift from the OP 🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

I’ve done both seats 😉

Actually, they’re meant to do that – Smart called them “Lounge Concept” seats. But so they could charge you extra for the option, they put in these limiters. The seat backs still lock in the upright positions as normal.

molgrips
    Free Member

Be very careful removing bits from car seats. I used to go out with a girl who worked for a company crash testing cars for insurance claims, and seat back failure was a major cause of injury.

rootes1

keep the smart as it is Mitsubishi derived, based on the Colt, mitsi make robust cars – unlike renault

loddrik
    Free Member

I’d avoid the Renault like the plague.

Used to have a Brabus Forfour, great car, concrete ride excepted.

easygirl

I’ve had 3 rennos
    A Picasso And 2 renault megane sports
    2 from new, one 2 years old.
    Never had one electrical problem with any.
    Only problem wih the meganesport was faulty door handles which needed replacing
    They are a lot better than they used to be 15 years ago

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Which oldish car to keep?’ is closed to new replies.