Which of these two bikes would you chose?

Home Forum Bike Forum Which of these two bikes would you chose?

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Which of these two bikes would you chose?
  • geetee1972

The Condor and Genesis would end up being more or less the same price (Genesis would be £180 cheaper). Condor would be built with Campag Veloce, while the Genesis comes with Shimano 105.

Condor Acciaio

Genesis Equilibrium:

Premier Icon Bregante
    Subscriber

Basing it purely on looks. The Condor is stunning. And I’m a fan of Genesis frames (I have a Croix De Fer)

Premier Icon wallop
    Subscriber

Not ridden a Condor but I have the Genesis and I love it.

Premier Icon kayak23
    Subscriber

Red makes you ride faster. Fact.

The Genesis.

I don’t really get on with Campag.

The Condor looks better, but Genesis frames ride really well. However, if the Condor comes with Campag that’s a big winner for me.

cynic-al

I’d go by frame weight – not much in it otherwise?

TiRed

The one that fits you best. Otherwise the Condor – it LOOKS more than £180 more expensive. And I DO get in with Campag (which will always be cool 😉 )

geetee1972

It’s crazy isn’t it that aesthetics play such a big part in our bike buying decisions!

The Genesis is £180 cheaper, rides very well and I can get it from my LBS, which is both important from a convenience perspective (I don’t have to travel into London for a fitting then wait three weeks for delivery) and a loyalty perspective.

But it just doesn’t set the heart racing like the Condor does.

I can have the Condor with any build kit I want, but because the frame is more expensive than the Genesis (by about £250) it needs the cheaper Campag groupset to bring it as close to the Genesis price as possible.

Veloce is c.£400 whereas the 105 groupset is £600!

Premier Icon wallop
    Subscriber

The Genesis is far better value, but if the Condor gives you a funny feeling down below then go for that one!

cynic-al

As long as the Veloce isn’t plasticy & crap (I’ve used some low-end campag that was wrt ergo shifters) I’d get the Condor…the Genesis frame is no lightweight AFAIK (albeit it may ride well for that) and is likely to be more than the 1.8kg of the Condor.

For me it’s an emotional decision as well as as a rational one – the Genesis will make you think “what good value”…the Condor will inspire you to ride.

IHN

The Condor looks bland, the Genesis looks the b0ll0cks.

Other way round for me. Condor on looks alone.

ChunkyMTB

Condor and the Campag stuff is fine.

geetee1972

My LBS described the difference between Campag and Shimano as being ‘one wear in while the other wears out’ 😆

I’m a sucker for a good looking and well put together frame! But then I am also a sucker for loyalty and supporting the people I consider my friends (the LBS). It’s a tough call.

Premier Icon firestarter
    Subscriber

Condor should fit right out of the box has imo a better pedigree. Tho not keen on campag myself. Personally I’d save the £180 for upgrading later as you know you’ll want to and stick with shimano, tho this decision is based purely on my dislike of campag as I’d rather have the condor frame . Hope that clears it up for you lol

I’d ask for the condor with 105 😉

iDave

I’d never have a bike with campag

geetee1972

My brother – big roadie and pretty good with it since he has managed well under the hour for a 25 – has been ripping me about buying a bike with fishing tackle for components.

He says Shimano is great kit, if what you want to do is catch mackrel 😆

borrowed a bike with campy veloce (bianchi via nerone or something) owned by a campag afficianado and it was hateful, I couldnt believe a system with so few gears could be so agricultural and poor.

Bought a bike with Shimano 105 and the difference is greater than that between alivio and XTR. If youre used to shimano and like it I’d either try campag first to see if you get on with it, or stick with what you know. To me the 105 is worth far more than £200 more than the campag.

cynic-al

My LBS described the difference between Campag and Shimano as being ‘one wear in while the other wears out’

I’d never have a bike with campag

OMG…unsubstantiated myth/opinion a-go-go!

Having worked on hundreds of bikes with both…Shimano and campag are fine, and last as long as each other. It’s down to personal preference.

geetee1972

Cynic-al thanks for the insight. Obviously I am very familiar with Shimano kit from the mountain biking, but I haven’t used Campag since about 1991 (I used to have it on my mountain bike!)

My experience of Campag at that time was that it just didn’t work as well and weighed more. But I am completely open minded about things now. Really the groupset is not that important to me and I’m only speccing the Veloce on the Condor because other wise the 105 kitted Acciaio would be £290 more than the Genesis.

ChunkyMTB

Go to Condor in London and take advantage of their bike fitting service too.

Really the groupset is not that important to me

it will be when youre riding the bike for hours at a time and the gears are pants. I spent a summer on the borrowed bike (to see if I liked road riding) and havign not ridden one in 20yrs had no axe to grind or allegiance either way, but the groupset was so frustrating it did affect my enjoyment. Not unsubstantiated myth in this case, objective experience.

Try it you might like it and then you can be a euro/niche snob 🙂 , but I hated it.

iDave

OMG…unsubstantiated myth/opinion a-go-go!

When my hands are on the hoods, the campy thumb up-shifter is in a totally stupid position, like it’s been designed by a gibbon. Shimano finger operated up-shifter is perfectly positioned. Simple ergonomics rather than opinion.

geetee1972

The other option is this:

Same price as the Condor from my LBS (factoring in loyalty discount)

Premier Icon BigJohn
    Subscriber

Imagine getting a phone call from each dealer saying “Sorry, we made a mistake, it’s not available”.

Which one would make you upset and which one would make you say “phew”?

geetee1972

Imagine getting a phone call from each dealer saying “Sorry, we made a mistake, it’s not available”.

Which one would make you upset and which one would make you say “phew”?

BigJohn I like that insight a lot. Thanks for it.

the dark side a dangerous place…hfth will stop selling mountain bikes at this rate. 😯

Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

geetee – interesting article in latest Cycling Plus where they were testing a bunch of 105 level bikes all around a grand. the 2012 Giant Defy 105 blew the competition out of the water

geetee1972

the dark side a dangerous place…hfth will stop selling mountain bikes at this rate.

I never thought I would go down that path, but the desire to get fit and the pressures of family life mean that having a road bike would double the opportunities I have to actually get out and ride.

the 2012 Giant Defy 105 blew the competition out of the water

It looks good on paper but it’s aluminium and I want to avoid Al because my back’s not in great condition and I don’t want anything that is bullet stiff to ride.

yep, even I was seen out on commuter/pub bike for a jaunt round the lanes to Leigh and a few beers at the Plough last night. better than getting all muddy (just about!)

Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

It looks good on paper but it’s aluminium and I want to avoid Al because my back’s not in great condition and I don’t want anything that is bullet stiff to ride

fair point, although steel can be as harsh as aluminium depending on the frame build.

Back to your original question though : the Genesis for sure – looks lovely and for me Shimano every time..

JonEdwards

It looks good on paper but it’s aluminium and I want to avoid Al because my back’s not in great condition and I don’t want anything that is bullet stiff to ride.

Don’t discount ally entirely – my ally Santacruz Roadster is more comfortable than my steel Condor Pista – as much as anything it’s down to variations in finishing kit, wheels and tyres.

geetee1972

Don’t discount ally entirely – my ally Santacruz Roadster is more comfortable than my steel Condor Pista – as much as anything it’s down to variations in finishing kit, wheels and tyres.

Jon that’s a good point; a high quality, triple butted ally frame will have a lot of resilience as a result of that butting. My old Yeti ARC was similar in that regard to your SC.

BTW how’s life in the Peak? Hope you’re having fun.

Campag = the Alfa Romeo of the cycling world.

poolman

Condor for me.

I have an Italia with Veloce & love it. In fact, it’s 10 years old now & only just upgraded the wheels. No problems at all with Campag.

The quality is remembered long after the price – I have had loads of Condor bikes & never had a problem with any of them.

So, three different bikes, made of different materials.

I’d be test riding all three of them, then pick the one I felt fitted and suited me the best.

A revolutionary concept, I know, but there you go. Trendsetter me, in’t I?

MrBlond

If you’re getting fitted at the shop Condor all the way – IMHO that’s worth a chunk of the difference in price from the off.

Ignoring the price difference (which is suspect is largely down to the relative strengths of the Euro and Yen) 105 and Veloce are roughly the same level.

Big disclaimer:
    I have a Condor with Veloce and I really like it 😉

Smaller disclaimer:
    I’ve had road bikes with both Shimano and Campag, they both work fine, I prefer the Campag shifters (complete opposite to iDave) but that’s about it. YMMV.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Which of these two bikes would you chose?’ is closed to new replies.