Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Which of these 3 road bikes would you buy?
  • wrecker
    Free Member

http://www.tweekscycles.com/bikes/road-bikes/gt-bicycles-gts-sport-road-bike-2015?&ilttc=Bikes-Main_Banner_Only-Static_1&ilntc=gt_Dec_15

https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-performance-pr7-road-bike-2016-85148.html

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mekk-pinerolo-al-zr-2013/

Turbo use and perhaps a few – gulp – road rides.
    I’m liking the GT, but that maybe because it’s a MTB brand.
    Is there much between them? Any obvious things I’ve missed?

drovercycles
    Free Member

There’s very little to choose between road bikes from any decent brand at this price point. Those all look like very good deals.

The Merlin has slightly nicer wheels than the other two, but it’s the most expensive / least-reduced of the three, so perhaps to be expected. I don’t think the difference is worthwhile.

I’d say buy the GT from Tweeks, because it’s a proper bike brand from a proper bike shop – but that’s probably me being biased. However it’s the cheapest so you can spend the extra £50 on something else, plus it’s the one you seem most drawn to anyway, which is as good a reason as any.

scaredypants

Turbo use

Cheapest one that fits

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bikebouy
    Free Member

Merlin.

Of course I’ve no experience with them, just it looks betterer 😀

Bez

Problem is that the most important thing is fit. Hard to tell that online, especially if it’s your first road bike. Same goes for handling and responsiveness.

Can’t see any mention of mudguard eyelets on the Mekk; the others both have them on the frame but seemingly not on the fork, which is a shame. The Merlin has rack mounts, too.

Other than that they all seem much of a muchness. The components will all be broadly adequate and the wheels will probably be a bit lardy and under-tensioned. If you ask me the Mekk looks a bit cheap, so I’d go for one of the others on aesthetics, but there you go. Maybe find some reviews if there are any, and see how they rate the frame.

Nobby

All pretty similar but the only observation I’d makeover what’s already been said is that the Mekk looks like it’ll take full guards which you may want to consider if you’re gonna ride it in less than pleasant conditions.

wrecker
    Free Member

Well if there is little between the specs, I’ll go for the one i like the look of which is the GT. The Merlin looks a bit tourey/commuterey IMHO.

Bez

*zooms in*

So it does. Eyelets on the fork and the frame, plus rack eyelets too.

Clearance looks bloody tight even with those 23s, though…

chrisdw
    Free Member

of those 3. the merlin!

but id go for this… http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Defy-5-2015-Road-Bike_73912.htm

wrecker
    Free Member

I like the giant but it’s another £50 for the 4 (to get the carbon forks as the others have). Does the rest of the spec make up for it?

chrisdw
    Free Member
    Bez

And when I followed the link it popped up with a code “HAVE6” for £6 off 🙂

wilburt
    Free Member

I would buy a Specialized Allez because its what I bought.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Merlin.

wrecker
    Free Member

That bloody Defy keeps coming back!
    I own two Giant MTBs. A little sister would be nice for them….

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What about a decathlon???

I’d get something second hand if I were spending that much money. Infact, what is your budget and size? I have a 58cm CAAD 8 for sale.

wrecker
    Free Member

6ft?
    With these bikes being reduced, the decathlons don’t offer any better value TBH.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Fair do’s!

Also, at 6ft you’d probably fit it but you’d also probably be better off on a 56 cannondale I’d have thought. Just realised it’s probably out of your budget a bit aswell.

Never mind; hope you find something. Local facebook group?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Agree with david for turbo use i would just get second hand [ and as cheap as fitted me tbh] FFS you dont need half the components on the bike just the seat back wheel and chainset 😉

That said if it was just for turbo duties I would buy a spare wheel and use my MTB as that is the cheapest option and a new bike just for turbo duties seems daft

FWIW I have just got – from here a road bike and bits for under your budget and it is far better than those listed as new.

Honestly for just a turbo bike i would get a BSO or really old SH road bike

Oh the Merlin but its the same postcode as me and I could try it out.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Honestly for just a turbo bike i would get a BSO or really old SH road bike

This is a good shout. I used to use a 1998 Marin Bolinas ridge on the turbo. It didn’t even have a front wheel.

wrecker
    Free Member

I’ve been looking 2nd hand, but I’ve not found anything!
    I don’t want to use the XX1 equipped MTB for obvious reasons! A tarmac friendly bike would come in useful too.

Bez

Shame you’re not a couple of inches or so taller, I’d be able to sell you mine 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

Shame you’re not a couple of inches or so taller

Where have I heard that before? 😀

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Haha!

Well, if you can stretch to £450 I’d do you a 58cm CAAD 8 with SRAM Rival/Force and some Hope Hooped wheels.

You’d need to collect from Cumbria though. And you’d also probably need to put the seat down and fit a shorter stem.

crashrash

For the turbo anything works! Just get the right size – 56 probably. I am 6’2″ with a long leg and ride a 56cm.
    If you are going to take it outside then something you can fit guards to is well worth while. Not a fan of Mekk personally though sure plenty are…. I would also get something which can take 25mm tyres – more comfort and speed, plus they do deal with the splendid tarmac we have a bit better (even 28mm if you can do it). Other min spec would be carbon forks and the best wheels you can get for the budget. Road.cc do a great guide for the top 10 value bikes and if you subscribe they even send you details of the sales!

bluebird
    Free Member

Personally, I’d have a look on eBay for that budge/use.

wrecker
    Free Member

Toe clips would be OK for a turbo, yes?

mrblobby
    Free Member

For that budget if it’s a turbo mule just get any old cheap used frame that can be made to fit.

Contact points, you’ll probably want to go with something you’re familiar with. But you can buy the budget cheap heavy stuff with the right shape. Get a decent saddle.

I’ve got bits of Tiagra, 105 and Ultegra on my turbo bike, stuff moved on from the road bike. It’s nice to have decent shifting on the turbo bike (Tiagra is more than good enough.)

Leku
    Free Member

http://startcycles.co.uk/sale/gt-2015-gts-expert-mens-road-bike-white-bygtm5gtsexwht.html

GT 2015 GTS Expert Mens Road Bike £350

Tiagra 10 speed..

wrecker
    Free Member

Ah, defy 4 ordered. I now have 3 giants…..
    Thanks for the advice everyone. Even if I’ve ignored it!
    Trying to see sense and buy a Tacx vortex rather than a wahoo snap.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Wahoo snap a waste of money, really can’t see why it’s so much more expensive than, say, a Tax Bushido Smart.

wrecker
    Free Member

Same rrp, but the bushido can be picked up a fair bit cheaper.

chakaping
    Free Member

Defy is a good choice. Very upgradeable, lovely handling and 25mm tyres as standard.

wrecker
    Free Member

Thanks chaka. How’s the reign going?

chakaping
    Free Member

Very pleased with it thanks, looking forward to riding it somewhere not-muddy though. Don’t feel like I’ve got the full measure of it yet at all.

wrecker
    Free Member

I’ve bought a trance frame too. The pits from the reign team went on that, the reign is going to be built a bit more burly. The trance looks amazing!

chakaping
    Free Member

From the same French lot?

The Reign frame is so stiff I can see why a more burly fork would be useful.

wrecker
    Free Member

No, frame was Uk bought. Light (the large alu is lighter than a medium carbon reign frame), fox EVOL shock and team colours for a grand!!!
    Seriously fast bike.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Which of these 3 road bikes would you buy?’ is closed to new replies.