Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)
  • Which of these 2 cars and why ?
  • Toddboy
    Free Member

Audis are to the car world what e-bikes are to mountain biking 😉

onewheelgood

The Audi. When it’s dark, the weather is filthy, lashing down and blowing a gale, an A6 Quattro is just a lovely place to be.

geoffj

I commute across rush hour Edinburgh – slow moving stop start traffic for 40+ minutes
    There is no way I would go back to a manual gearbox for that sort of journey.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Audi Quattro all day long – OP you’ll not be surprised to hear me say that. Miss mine awesome car.

Get parking sensors front and rear if you can (or take it easy in multi-story car parls and tigjt spots till you are used to it)

onewheelgood

bugger, didn’t realise I was agreeing with jamby. Get the BMW.

jambalaya
    Free Member

^^ you could just take it that for once I’m right 😉

tomaso
    Free Member

Which has the best sound system and connectivity?

wrecker
    Free Member

Both really nice cars. flip a coin, I bet you’ll be happy with either.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

If you enjoy driving the BMW, if a car is just a thing to get you from A-B then the Audi. If you enjoy driving, every time you get in the Audi you will regret having got it.

Will you need lots of boot space? Remember to spec the BM with folding seats.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I’ve always had BMWs but currently have an Audi and won’t be getting another (and it’s quite a juicy one). For me, they’re just too detached to drive and as I don’t drive every day anymore, I want to enjoy it.

However, modern autos are great and if you’re likely to spend much time in traffic or around town, that would swing it for me. Quattro is also nice when the weather is grim.

I’d say the Audi is arguably the better day to day car due to 4wd and autobox, but the BMW is probably the one that would make you smile when driving it every now and then.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Last time I drove an Audi I had to go get my fillings replaced as they’d all rattled out. Suspension? What suspension?

onewheelgood

If it’s an SE the suspension will be OK – it’s the S-Lines that are a bit hard, and even then the recent ones are better.

CountZero

BMW. Audi A4s and A6s are bloody everywhere – far too common and boring, and almost impossible to tell apart.

I’d say exactly the same about BMW’s, I truly can’t tell different models apart, and having driven two BMW’s, as well as several Audis, I’d have the Audi every time; far nicer styling, the only thing that stood out about either of the BMW’s was the HUD on the 330d.
    Also, I’ve actually known several people who’ve owned BMW’s, which have stayed on the drive as soon as there’s the merest hint of snow.
    Both Audi and VW cars feel instantly comfortable as soon as I get in and drive, almost like they’re a custom fit for me.

johndoh
    Free Member

The auto box in the A6 is shite, horrible, crap, rubbish. Having lived with mine for 3 years I can’t wait to hand it back next year and go back to manual.

Did I say it is appalling?

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Is the A6 an S-Tronic (which is a dual clutch box rather than a ‘proper’ auto)? I had assumed it would use the ubiquitous ZF 8 speed box like mine which is brilliant.

johndoh
    Free Member

Mine is the 3 litre s-tronic 7 speed box (3 years old if that makes a difference) and the l a g is pa inf ul.

iainc

It is S-Tronic. Felt fine on test drive, but am used to a manual !

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

which have stayed on the drive as soon as there’s the merest hint of snow.

That’s because they are inept at driving, and should have purchased some snow socks, or winter tyres.

johndoh
    Free Member

It’s the day to day living with it that is bad – so many times I try to pull away and the… . . . . . . pause is so long that I miss the opportunity to pull into traffic.

Then sometimes I get flashed out (not often, it *IS* an Audi after all) and the pause can be so long that the other party thinks I am not going to pull out and moves off again.

However, it is a three year old model and I did get a new A5 as a courtesy car last month and it was a bit better – I spoke to the garage and apparently Audi have slightly improved the box.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Maybe time to consider something more aligned to your age Ian?….

loddrik
    Free Member

Could never choose an Audi over a BMW. BMW’s just much better to drive.

However I did hear an RS3 the other day, holy cow!! Just sounded properly naughty in the way that old Impreza’s used to sound.

philjunior
    Free Member

If the boots are the same useful shape, I’d probably go for the BMW, but if the Audi had even a slightly bigger or more useful boot, I’d go for that.

Oh and winter tyres if you ski in Scotland, can’t remember if you do!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Nobeer the Jazz gets a lot of stick but its a great little car and superb bike carrier with seats folded flat

My A6 2.7tdi worked brilliantly with the “tip” box, pulled really well when dropping down a gear to overtake. When all is said and done both it and the BMW are big estates not small sports cars and they are going to drive that way. I persoanlly think an auto box suits the car and the way I was happy to drive it. I wanted the 4wd traction and size based load carrying and in fairness had a sports car as well. In reference to that 100k RS6 on the other thread I’d never buy that, rather have a A6 Quattro and a sports car and still have £££ left over.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

However I did hear an RS3 the other day, holy cow!! Just sounded properly naughty in the way that old Impreza’s used to sound.

Kind of sums Audi up though, all show and no go. The RS3 still gets slated for its lack of ability to go round corners.

Sundayjumper

I’d want the BMW, but having a manual ‘box is a slight downer on that kind of car.

hora
    Free Member

Either but I’d want a manual. I drive a auto at the moment and I miss chosing the gear that I want to hold on high rev, tight corners on B roads.

Scotland’s full of B roads isn’t it?

Kryton57

Also, I’ve actually known several people who’ve owned BMW’s, which have stayed on the drive as soon as there’s the merest hint of snow, and enjoyed ground coffee at home rather than the ubiquitious office canteen catering instant, a decent lunch, a quiet office space and avoided all the office bores with the heatng on at a level comfortable to you

FTFY Countzero.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

About 20k miles a year with lots of slow commuting on traffic.

Then the BMW ‘being better to drive’ is almost irrelevant.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Then the BMW ‘being better to drive’ is almost irrelevant.

Why ?

iainc

nobeer – I want a Jazz for the Boss when her Soul gets replaced, she reckons not 🙂

Thanks for all the points, useful for the decision process. Swaying towards the Audi due comfort of autobox and 4wd. I do have snowsocks for the BMW mind you 🙂

hora – Member
    Either but I’d want a manual. I drive a auto at the moment and I miss chosing the gear that I want to hold on high rev, tight corners on B roads.

Scotland’s full of B roads isn’t it?

I don’t know much about the S-Tronic as have always had manuals, but it does have a manual selection option and daft paddle things 🙂

bomberman
    Free Member

Which highly boring average but still classed as luxury in the eyes of most commoners car should you buy?

The Audi, since the BMW is sh*t in snow.

weeksy

Is the Audi red ?

iainc

^^^ thankyou for your insight bomberman 🙂

You may have missed my OP. It is a company funded car, and I am choosing between those 2 currently tabled options. There may be an option of a Skoda Superb 4×4 Estate, but currently not.

EDIT – weeksy, nope, both blue, so even playing field 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

daft paddle things

Very daft as they aren’t in a fixed position so when you feed the wheel the shifters are in the wrong place. On the very rare occasion I use the manual mode I just shift on the gearstick.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

lots of slow commuting on traffic.

Audi because of the auto box. I love driving my manual BMW – love it! – but being stuck in stop-start traffic with a manual box is not fun. If that was the bulk of my driving an auto gearbox would be a key factor in my car-buying decision.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The Audi, since the BMW is sh*t in snow.

That’s odd my BMW is just as good as any other car I’ve had. You have driven one in snow haven’t you?

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’d struggle to pick an BM in SE trim because they look gash and don’t get the sport seats etc. The F11 in SE trim does look particularly horrid. The current BM’s only seem to drive nicely in M Sport trim. My friends 320 sport feels like a bit of a pudding compared to the M Sport versions that I’ve driven.

The A6 won’t set your pants on fire through excitement, but it’ll be a nice enough place to sit and the slush box will work well with it. Assuming that the 190 is the development of the 184 TDi in my vRS, the auto will suit it well.

jambalaya
    Free Member

That’s odd my BMW is just as good as any other car I’ve had. You have driven one in snow haven’t you?

We lived on a hill and also on a private road. In snow the BMWs and Merc’s never left the drive. The Quattro is fabulous in the snow even with standard conti tyres.

Very daft as they aren’t in a fixed position so when you feed the wheel the shifters are in the wrong place. On the very rare occasion I use the manual mode I just shift on the gearstick.

??? On the two cars with tip I have had the paddles are on the steering wheel so when you turn the wheel the paddles are always in the correct position by your thumb / fingers (on top / under wheel is the two cars). When your are “spiriting along” a twisty road you keep your hands on the same place on the wheel – on any decent driving course they will tell you “do not feed the wheel” in such circumstances

rickmeister

Personal preference, Audi. As a past owner.

The BM’s I looked at failed to blow my skirt up, thought they were dull.

geoffj

I’d struggle to pick an BM in SE trim because they look gash and don’t get the sport seats etc. The F11 in SE trim does look particularly horrid. The current BM’s only seem to drive nicely in M Sport trim. My friends 320 sport feels like a bit of a pudding compared to the M Sport versions that I’ve driven.

This is true. My motor is M Sport spec, but I had an SE spec (manual 😯 ) courtesy car, last time it was serviced. It was pretty wallowy and uninspiring TBH. Luxury spec looks OK though.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Which of these 2 cars and why ?’ is closed to new replies.