• This topic has 60 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • which new smart phone?
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Samsung Galaxy S , the sony xperia x10 or the HTC desire

or most of the range of blackberrys – no iphones , as good as they are im not paying for it !

important things are – easy to make calls on and can i sync with my outlook on it – without my todo list and schedule ill never get owt done at work and be running round like more of a blue assed flee

would LIKE the ability to run google earth, a good internet/email interface also and a largish screen – hence why ive short listed the above

18 month contract , never been impressed with the longevity or software of any of the above brands in the past usually stick to nokia but i cant get an e73 with my provider (currently have an e71 and love it its just beaten up badly)so open to other suggestions !

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Mobile phones give you ear cancer.

trail_rat
    Free Member

great – that will add to the throat cancer from spraying molykote all day and the prostate cancer from riding my bike.

or maybe the daily mail has published a story saying that all of the above will actually prevent cancer !

MrNutt
    Free Member

you are not your mobile phone. you are not your phillip stark rocket lemon squeezer, you are not your VAG car, but you do have wonderful hair, who’s your stylist?

Mackem

I have a HTC Legend, the Desire is a bigger, faster version of that. The Legend is brilliant, the calendar will sync with outlook, you can get a free app for to do lists that will sync too. It would be nice to have something that combined both (like the old Psion, the best organiser ever), maybe there is an app that can do that already. Google earth is a breeze even on my smaller screen.

Jamie
    Free Member

What about a Nokia N8 if you like the Nokias?

Edit: Whoops. Only available to pre-order at the mo.

trail_rat
    Free Member

you aint seen my hair – got fecked off with it here , didnt fancy hair dressers in africa so bought scissors 😀 – looking rough !

will look at n8 – nokias seem to be the only phones that ever last me

MrNutt
    Free Member

don’t buy a nokia, it will seduce you prior to launch promising the world and then once you get your mitts on it you’ll discover that A the firmware isn’t finished and B its shit.

Jamie
    Free Member

don’t buy a nokia, it will seduce you prior to launch promising the world and then once you get your mitts on it you’ll discover that A the firmware isn’t finished and B its shit.

That is probably the most succinct summing up of all the new Nokias from the last couple of years I have heard.

Have a cookie Mr Nutt.

trail_rat
    Free Member

currently got an e71 – best phone ive had to date – only one ive not sent back !

had a 6600 in the past too – although ugly was ace – then i got a couple of XDAS (htc in disguise) and they were guff ! clunky and crashy warrentied 4 or 5 times !

palmer77
    Free Member

Once you have a BlackBerry you won’t go back! I’ve got the Bold 9700 and it can do everything you want of it, plus they have the new touch screen BB coming out soon.

Jamie
    Free Member

plus they have the new touch screen BB coming out soon.

RIM really are on the cutting edge now eh?

palmer77
    Free Member

At least they know how to make batteries 🙂

palmer77
    Free Member

If you don’t want an iPhone 4

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Galaxy s here. Nice phone. Good screen and response. Needs a crease or two ironing out like the gps (update coming soon) and the lag (run the lag fix, google is your friend). Once these are sorted then it flies.

scaredypants

Do they all work in USA these days (quad band, or whatever it is now) ?

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

palmer77 – Member
    Once you have a BlackBerry you won’t go back! I’ve got the Bold 9700 and it can do everything you want of it, plus they have the new touch screen BB coming out soon.

Was forced away from my Nokia E72 to BB at work. It is worse in absolutely every important respect. BB are OK for email but utter rubbish for everything else.

trail-rat, if you like your E71, why not go for an E72. Dead boring, but just a bit better everywhere.

TheFlyingOx

mobile phones give you ear cancer

The Xperia X10 gives you soul cancer.

loddrik
    Free Member

How about a pidgeon with a laptop strapped to it?

beamers

+1 for HTC Legend here.

Got it over the Desire as the Desire is a little bit plasticy for my liking and a little bit bigger. Chap at work has one which I have had a play with. Also, he had trouble with the back continually falling off of his. The Legend is hewn from a single block of aluminium and looks pretty cool even when its not doing anything.

(bit like a mac really)

There is also a Samsung Galaxy in the office. Amazing screen on it, but again feels very plasticy and I would be in constant fear of snapping it in half if it were in my pocket.

If you have a Google mail account on which you store your contacts, e-mails, maps; a Flickr account for your photos; a facebook account and a twitter account (not to update the world on your day to day activities but to keep bang up to date with current affairs / cycling news) you can sync the lot to an HTC phone very very easily.

Very, very impressed with the Legend

trail_rat
    Free Member

my e71 worked in the usa , paris, cyprus , new zealand austrailia and dubai

doesnt work in equitorial guinea – its the phone not the provider as a workmate also on o2 has no issues and i have it activated for world wide usage.

scaredypants

doesnt work in equitorial guinea

cheers, t_r; I’m afraid that’s a deal-breaker for me 😆

trail_rat
    Free Member

😀 aim to please

its quite important for me , i think ill be flying in and out of hell till february !

MrNutt
    Free Member

google is your friend, no its not its a business.

i have a judasphone4, it just works… …99% of the time

trail_rat
    Free Member

and will cost me 300 quid on contract AND 50 quid a month to get what i get at the moment(for 20 quid) and they wont do any deals …. any other phone pretty much they will practically give me and honour my 20 quid contract !

some things are worth paying for but i dont value my communication that much – for that price i can live without it.

iDave
    Free Member

In a few weeks I need to choose between a Lazarus phone and a Gandhi phone, but in the back of my mind, I feel like striking out and getting a Jehovah phone.

beamers

My HTC Legend was free on a £25 month contract.

I fail to see how much better the Jesusphone4 can be to warrant the additional outlay of ownership.

krag
    Free Member

I’ve had my galaxy s about a week. Seems alright, it’s pretty big though and would probably have preferred an iphone 4 but it’s a hell of a lot cheaper and does all the same stuff.

GPS doesn’t work at all on mine which sucks but is allegedly fixed soon.

MrNutt
    Free Member

it comes with a smug grin and glass that’s easy to put big deep scratches in with keys of course.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

HTC Desire + a spare battery and a decent case – nr Tough phone that last ages and does everything.

tomhughes46

Don’t get a Sony Ericsson, if it has the Symbian OS my Vivaz has then it’s shite, they want me to spend £9 on a pdf reader, it never works, the battery life is about 19 seconds, the touch screen requires you to have needles for fingers. Have had SE (or Ericsson) for 9 years but after this one I’m changing…

IA

Word on the street is production is stopping on the galaxy S (super amoled capacity issues) so they’ll be hard to get soon.

Despite the occasional lag and GPS issues the galaxy is probably the best of those three android phones. Desire would be better if it wasn’t for the screen (gash outdoors).

I’ve an X10, which given how much you can customise android (and most reviews you’ll find are of it stock on early firmware) is decent, with a great screen. None of these will have the battery life you’re used to with the E71.

However, the X10’s been sat gathering dust the last two weeks since I got an N8. I could write a lot about it, but instead I’ll direct you to the various articles over on http://thehandheldblog.com/ basically the more I use it the more I like it, it’s a lot better than previous symbian touch phones.

(edit vivaz completely different to an X10, the vivaz is fairly well recognised as an abortion of a symbian phone)

IA

Oh and if you like the E71, can you get an E5? Had one on trial a couple of weeks now and for that style of phone it’s pretty hard to fault it. (i prefer my N8 mind, but it’s a different style of phone entirely)

twohats
    Free Member

Don’t get a Sony Ericsson, if it has the Symbian OS my Vivaz has then it’s shite

Xperia X10 has the Android OS.

I’ve the X10 Mini, does what I need it to do.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Tom – the SE X10/Experia is Android, not Symbian.

But yes, Symbian is utter cack.

IA

But yes, Symbian is utter cack

I’d qualify that by restricting it to the touch-phone. As the OP says, he liked his (symbian) E71. Even on the touch phones, it compares well against stuff in the price bracket. E.g. what touch screen android phone can you get for 5230 money? (£70)

Anyhow, to actually answer the OP, from that list I’d get the Galaxy S.

trail_rat
    Free Member

right im going to fight for a nokia – even if i have to buy it my self sim free and just get a basic contract …. i know they world if i avoid the lifestyle handsets – all my mates n series phones have been garbage – all of the folk i know with E series phones havnt had issues.

hell i might just look into a new e71 see if ebay or the likes has old NOS ones – thats how happy i am with the phone

Cougar

From that list,

Samsung Galaxy S , the sony xperia x10 or the HTC desire

The x10 is still languishing on Android 1.5, last I looked. Nice phone, no support.

Between the other two, the Galaxy S is the better phone on paper, though there’s not a lot in it. However, if you take a look at the forums for both handsets on androidforums.com, the Galaxy S is full of people having issues with the phone; chiefly GPS issues (which Samsung are promising ‘improvements’ on (not a fix, note) in future updates), and lag problems (for which there are various hacks to fix but no official solution.)

As a jaded Galaxy (original) owner, I’d take any promises of updates from Samsung with a pinch of salt; they’ve been diabolically bad with the Galaxy. For that reason, I’m out.

Get a Desire.

IanMmmm
    Free Member

The new HTC Desire HD comes out on the 11th of October, so I’d wait and get that.

hora
    Free Member

DONT GET THE N8 IF YOU ARE A MOUNTAIN BIKER

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘which new smart phone?’ is closed to new replies.