Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Which new disc brakes? Shimano XT vs Hope Tech 3
  • Northwind

cruzcampo – Member

Pad change always needs a bleed

Sounds like something wrong with the bellows in the lever, maybe? Unless they’re being bled inbetween pad change which always causes trouble.

But yeah, if they’ve got more wrong with them than the seals you’d be daft to try and keep them going, considering the age.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Sounds like something wrong with the bellows in the lever, maybe? Unless they’re being bled inbetween pad change which always causes trouble.

But yeah, if they’ve got more wrong with them than the seals you’d be daft to try and keep them going, considering the age.

When trying to do the pad change on the rears this time round, and pushing the old pads back into the caliper, the rubber around the FCS dial where the leaver pushes was making a crackling sound 😯 with a very little bit of fluid appearing, is that the bellow?

cruzcampo
    Free Member

@ultimateweevil great to be going strong after 8 years +1

Northwind

If memory serves the bellows’/diaphragm is in the back of the lever, on Oros. Not 100% sure actually! Leaking past the FCS probably suggests there’s a wee hole in the rubber that’s let water or brake fluid in from the outside, rather than the lever leaking into it.

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

I know and I still love them and shows Hope build stuff to last 😀

Price wise I’m sure they’re not much more expensive now so if you get 5+ years out of them then they’re a bargain

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

Why do people insist on slating brakes on other peoples bikes? In all probability, they’ve got them set up wrong or the pads &/or rotors are glazed to ****

The Tech 3’s are awesome, I barley use mine trail centres as I am confident I can stop when I want and I can scrub off speed at the last minute rather than dragging them.

I used a V4 upfront with a vented 203 and a E4 with a 183 in Chamonix and they faired pretty well in stopping a 17 stone dude on near vertical trails, they did pretty well in the wet too.

Goldigger
    Free Member

I looked at parting with my XT’S, saints were my initial first “stop”. Then looked at the tech V4s.
    The cost of having to replace the discs to just puts me off.. £372!
    Maybe if the XT “brake” then I might take the plunge.

rickon
    Free Member

You know you don’t need to buy Hope Rotors? Shimano rotors are fine, I use them with my Tech3s.

You don’t need to replace the brakes though, as all the small parts are available. Mostly hope fix them under warranty anyway if anything happens. Shimano means a new lever or caliper. I had six in two years, then switched to the tech3s.

Goldigger
    Free Member

I was under the impression the shimano discs being 180mm and the hope equivilant 183mm, could result in uneven pad wear? Or is this only an issue if you use hope brake mounts with shimano discs? I’m assuming that the hope mount would push the caliper further out to contact the extra 3mm of disc..?

flicker
    Free Member

I’d be surprised if it makes any difference as your only looking at 1.5mm not 3mm between the two sizes.

Goldigger
    Free Member

I’ve read about pads/backing plate rubbing on the rivets on hope floating rotors, I’m guessing this is with shimano mounts intended for a 180mm disc.

ransos
    Free Member

I found that the availability of spares for Hope was a very good thing, because mine kept breaking instead of braking.

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve read about pads/backing plate rubbing on the rivets on hope floating rotors, I’m guessing this is with shimano mounts intended for a 180mm disc.

No, it’s because the floating rotors are thicker, particularly at the rivets.

nemesis
    Free Member

Hope did 183 for a while but now they’re 180, aren’t they? (why 183? odd size…). Either way, you can get adapters that are for Hope and 180.

Hope floating rotors don’t work on all frames/forks/calipers – as above the rivets are wider than the rotor so on some frames they can catch. IME though I’ve only had issues on my CX bike with mechanical calipers.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Which new disc brakes? Shimano XT vs Hope Tech 3’ is closed to new replies.