Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Which Nerf gun, Bullet or ball…calling Northwind!
  • rockhopper70

My soon to be 10yo lad really wants a BIG Nerf gun.
    He had a revolver 6 shooter pistol model and bought himself the pistol with “laser” sight and aiming.
    But he wants a BIG one now.
    No logic in this decision, it’ll just be him, shooting stuff from afar.

But they also do balls now, the rival range and that Nerf rival Apollo rifle is £25 ish on Amazon.

Nerf Rival Apollo XV-700 (Red) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00VX9F4Q2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_rGCrxbJVVFK2T

Or

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9122051.htm?_$ja=tsid:59156%7Ccid:189934165%7Cagid:18091993285%7Ctid:aud-180466976245:pla-96721107325%7Ccrid:77627768365%7Cnw:g%7Crnd:4414669268389755414%7Cdvc:t%7Cadp:1o6&gclid=CKvDl4nJ9cwCFfEV0wod3JcHug

No more than £25 budget.

Northwind

<in a puff of nerd>

The rivals ball stuff is designed for older “kids”, 14+ it’s less of a toy and more of a step towards competitive play- like public-space-friendly airsoft almost. The balls hit a bit harder- still fairly childsafe, but you’d want eye protection if you’re going to get shot with one. But also more likely to knock stuff off shelves, and that gun’s physically a bit harder to use. Also, the balls are more expensive (though they last better). But they get lost like nobody’s business! Basically, I wouldn’t.

The second one you linked is more appropriate tbh and it’s a great toy. Get yourself one too, get 24 free darts for spending £30, and shoot him back 🙂

Bigger gun:
    http://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/toys/construction-cars/nerf/c-957/nerf/p-7004/nerf-zombie-strike-longshot-blaster/
    A cooler toy I think, but it doesn’t shoot as well.

Bigger bullets:
    ” Listen, Sammy, I’m not a very good shot, but the Samaritan here uses really big bullets”
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4187424.htm
    (the red darts are more fragile)

woody2000

Slightly OT – if you buy the bullet version, be careful buying cheap bullets from eBay! The ones I bought do not have a foam tip, it’s more like rubber and they HURT! I’ve binned the lot 😯

geetee1972
    Free Member

Nerf guns are the reason I had two children.

Bregante

We’ve got that Stryve linked by the o.p. it has impressive range but the incessant jamming is a p.i.t.a

Nerf guns are the reason I had two children

I’m desperately trying to link a pic I’ve nicked from my mates Facebook feed of his lads nerf collection. It’s just the most amazing thing ever. Unfortunately I’m on my stupid work phone and it’s proving impossible….

rockhopper70

Must…..keep…..within……budget.

Northwind

@Rockhopper- yeah, those are ****ing awesome tbh 😆

This is the answer to many questions:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFfwXsr48kM[/video]

Need more balls?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWEF2Mj-e6o[/video]

woody2000 – Member

Slightly OT – if you buy the bullet version, be careful buying cheap bullets from eBay! The ones I bought do not have a foam tip, it’s more like rubber and they HURT! I’ve binned the lot

Yeah, this is really dodgy tbh, there’s uk sellers now selling untested darts too- it used to be you had to go out of your way to buy something unsafe but now they’re everywhere. It’s not good.

I always recommend these:
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/beautifulwoman2012/category5039768011-/_i.html?_fsub=5039768011&_sid=1107588881&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322
    They’re not as cheap as some but they’re well made and better than the genuine ones- they shoot straighter and they’re just as soft. Very good.

These are very cheap, but they’re a wee bit harder than genuine darts. They sting a little more but they’re not likely to do real damage
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Buytra-7-2cm-Refill-Darts-N-strike/dp/B013DGF85O/ref=sr_1_1?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1464194607&sr=1-1&keywords=nerf+darts

Bregante

Here we go. I’m not sure my mate wants his lad all over the web hence my clumsy edit but look at that lot!! 8)

Northwind

That’s awesome 😆 OK, this is another ebay seller rather than a personal collection, but it’s like that scene from the matrix…

MoreCashThanDash

Bregante – looks like a much more child friendly IS recruiting picture.

The whole Nerf thing passed my family by until we went to visit my two god sons a few months ago.

There may have been some VERY competitive dads involved as well!

chipster

We’ve got a big gun, a Stryke Retaliator, and as Bregante has found, it jams too frequently to recommend.
    I bought 200 of the beautifulwoman bullets, from a previous Northwind link, for our Elite guns, they’re much better than the original ones.
    I bought 50 or so Mega bullets and a revolver type gun, also from a Northwind link. These work well, too.
    I like the look of that gun Rockhopper’s linked to. That might be for later in the year.
    I’ve recently come across some Nerf water guns in Lidl. They’re where it’s at for the warmer months. 😀

Northwind

chipster – Member

We’ve got a big gun, a Stryke Retaliator, and as Bregante has found, it jams too frequently to recommend.

The retaliator’s a pretty good one tbh! Or is it the stryfe? (battery powered)? It has design flaws that cause jams but they’re really easy to fix, give me a shout if it’s that one- it’ll take you 15 minutes to sort it and most of that’ll be picking up the bastardy wee screws

chipster

It’s one of these
    It’s pump action, not battery.
    Thanks for your previous links btw.

Bregante

Ours is the battery powered Stryfe. At least one bullet in every cartridge seems to jam. I don’t mind too much as I let the lad have that one and then blast him repeatedly while he tries to un-jam it.

What? He’s nine. He needs to learn. 😈

garage-dweller

Lol at this thread.

We got some “Zombie” something or other pistols in the haul for my eldest’s birthday. They are Nerf bullet compatible but pack more of a punch than either of the proper NErf things we’ve got.

Maybe when my two are bigger we’ll try some of the modifications but at the moment they’re enough of a nuisance with the standard specs. 🙂

Northwind

@Bregante, try this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfxWrI2RCoc
    Also check the front of where the magazine goes- the barrel hole where the darts get pushed in. it should either have 2 wee flappy arms on springs, or, a bit of clear or black rubbery stuff. If it’s the latter, get rid of that too.

@Chipster, never known one of those to misbehave. If you like, you can send it up to me and I’ll sort it, I’ve got some spares for those… Only cost you whatever the postage is.

rockhopper70

Gone for the rotofury.
    Northwind, if you can point me towards sellers of decent mega bullets it’d be appreciated and thanks for the pointers so far.

prawny

I’ve got a bundle of nerve guns in the garage I need to get round to selling if you’re interested.

2 firestrikeep pistols withe lazer sights
    1 zombie 12 shot thing (maybe Rotofury it’s the best one)
    1 elite alpha strike
    1 flip clip upgrade
    1 small girls crossbow thing
    Shed loads of bullets

£40?

prawny

FYI, they’re all for sale because I accidentally shot the boy straight in the eye hole with the alpha trooper, I second the point aboutility not using hard cheap eBay bullets.

He was fine after half hour or so, but the Mrs went bonkers

packer
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a UK source for cheap but good quality nerf bullets?

I need some by next weekend so can’t order from China unfortunately. Thx.

Northwind

Oops, sorry Rockhopper. With the mega bullets, so far I’ve not found a bad one so I’d just hit ebay and amazon and see what you can find. As long as it looks like a real one they all seem to be decent. I’d try and find someone who ships in a box as they’re pretty easily damaged in a jiffy bag…

@packer, I can’t recommend but the darts pictured here are good quality, so assuming they send what they’re advertising it’ll be decent.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-10-800Pcs-Soft-Toy-Gun-Refill-Bullet-Darts-For-Nerf-N-Strike-Elite-Series-/221988221535?var=&hash=item33af87725f:m:mTRuuozXf8gKgHDe0EsE4og

I wouldn’t use these with very small kids or if you have any modified blasters though- they do hit a wee bit harder.

Apparently Tesco are selling off the genuine darts for £4 for 30 just now.

I’m a bit low just now, waiting for a delivery so I can’t help with the cheap ones- I do have a few hundred of the higher quality “koosh” darts but they’d be so much more expensive, it’s kind of hard to recommend, they’re more your enthusiast’s thing.

packer
    Free Member

Thanks Northwind!

Another question: My son has asked for a “Longshot” Nerf gun for his birthday. Is this a good choice of model, or are there better alternatives we should look at which are similar?

Northwind

Depends which one… The yellow one and the green “zombie strike” one are a really old design and don’t work well with the newer darts, they often misfire and damage the darts, gets expensive real fast…

The blue “elite” one is different inside and fixes that so I reckon it’s the only one that’s a good option. Basically, it’s not the best at actually shooting – slow to fire and doesn’t shoot as far as the best- but it’s decent enough, and more importantly is a massive kick-ass toy gun in a really big box, comes with some accessories too, so it’s got a lot of “playability” and would make a great gift for a kid that wants that. So it depends what he really wants, some kids like to have the “best” and make it easier to shoot their mates, but I’d say it’s a good choice otherwise.

There’s nothing else really similiar right now- the only other big ass rifle type is the Mega Centurion and it’s totally shit.

Probably the “best” is the 2 for £30 argos deal, you can get the stryfe battery powered pistol and elite alpha trooper pump action for £30… But that’s a much less cool gift I think.

transporter13
    Free Member

I bought this one from a random trip to a local B&M shop the other day

http://nerf.hasbro.com/en-us/product/nerf-n-strike-mega-series-rotofury-blaster:E1533750-5056-9047-F527-F137313568C7

Was 25 quid

Northwind

It kicks ass tbh 😆 (not to be a **** but, cheaper in Smyths too)

This isn’t out yet… but if this doesn’t bring out your inner child, I think it’s because he’s died.

Northwind

<double post>

transporter13
    Free Member

Holy crap…thats on MY shopping list for when get bored of constantly being shot around the house 😈

i_like_food

Great thread. That monster gun looks perfect, imagine the expression on the little ‘uns face when you call a battle then pull that out 🙂

Northwind

“They’ll construct a board with a nail in it so large, it will destroy them all!”

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57MKxz4pJKE[/video]

beefheart
    Free Member

I wish I didn’t open this thread.

packer
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice.
    I ended up watching gun reviews on YouTube all afternoon and went for the Rampage in the end, plus some add-on accessories. The Longshot appears to be style/size over function.
    Have to say I am quite excited myself to try the Rampage!
    Hopefully he won’t be disappointed with my choice…

Northwind

Rampage is really good too- has a bit less wow factor but actually shoots better and easier. Doubt he’ll be disappointed! It’s essentially the same gun as the alpha trooper I mentioned up the page, except it comes with the big drum magazine (and it sticks out the side, which is kind of cool and also kind of annoying!)

packer
    Free Member

Yeah I think he will like looks of the drum magazine!

Stoner
    Free Member

reviving thread in time for christmas, because paging threads arent allowed. Ahem. Northwind…..

Jr #2 is after a new Nerf gun. His elder brother has a Strongarm which has been pretty good. Jr#2’s Firestrike deteriorated until failing and ending up in the bin. Am looking for a step up from the Strongarm, still standard dart sized, and pump action preferably. And of course I could do with arming myself…

Also need a cache of new ammo. Are you trading somewhere NW?

Harry_the_Spider

As an aside… Tesco are doing 2 Strongarms for £13.

Northwind

You called? 😆

See that massive red one I linked up the page? May have just bought one for me 😆 AMERICA! **** YEAH!

If you want pump action, the Elite Alpha Trooper is your man. 2 for £30 at argos, since you need one for yourself obviously, and they’re doing a 20% topcashback for today only too. (there’s other things in the 2 for £30, the wee Stryfe is decent too)

The Rampage (what Packer bought) is really similiar but not as good value. There’s a couple of other good deals on just now, the Crossbolt at £14 isn’t pump action but it’s pretty cool. Argos is generally best for nerf stuff tbh

I don’t sell the ammo- too many people doing it already and I don’t want to compete with the people selling unsafe stuff- but you should have time for china delivery I think so these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400pcs-Toy-Refill-Gun-Darts-Blasters-Elite-NERF-N-Strike-Round-Head-Bullets-/381572311932?hash=item58d77b6b7c

Are really good, they’re almost indistinguishable from the real thing. They do smaller quantities too. Just as child-safe as the genuine ones (most aren’t) and they’ll work in anything. These are an upgrade on the ones I used to recommend and only slightly more expensive.

These:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nerf-N-strike-Elite-Rampage-Retaliator-Blasters-200-Koosh-Darts-Improved-Gen-3-/171303996691?hash=item27e2838d13

Are better than the genuine ones- still child safe, they fire straighter and further, and the yellow ones are easier to find But much more expensive. Still cheaper than the real thing though and a lot better.

Stoner
    Free Member

We come here for the bikes. We stay for the armament advice.

Cheers NW, nice one.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Which Nerf gun, Bullet or ball…calling Northwind!’ is closed to new replies.