Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Which Narrow Wide Chain Ring
  • chunkymonkey1982
    Free Member

Looking to go 1×10 on my Tracer, Ive bought a clutch rear mech, and now need a N/W chain ring, which do people recommend, that doesn’t cost a fortune?

I saw this on ebay, looked ok…

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181428487863?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

but the company doesn’t have much feedback. Anyone heard of Ace Bike Components?

Cheers

ryderredman
    Free Member

Think they had an interview page on here, two UK guys I think. Have a search. Superstar also do them cheap?

Dark-Side

We haven’t got too much feedback as we are only a couple of months old 🙂 If you search the content section of the website there was a small editorial on us back in May. Feel free to drop me a line if you want to know anything more.

The rings have been selling really well, I weighed mine against the Raceface ring I took off and it was a good bit lighter, there are more pictures and specs on our Facebook page.

Mackem

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331157418547?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I offered 30 dollars, was accepted, got it a week later. (18 quid)

Northwind

Good that they come with chainring bolts..

I’ve always had Works before, got a Superstar one to change the gearing on one bike and it seems alright- machining isn’t as nice, more sharp edges and there’s some chipping on some of the edges like the passes have been too deep or something. But I don’t think it’ll make the slightest difference in use tbh! Graphics are a wee bit cheesy imo but that’s OK.

cloudnine
    Free Member

I’ve got a new superstar nw 32t in black for £24 posted for sale

mindmap3
    Free Member

I bought a Race Face one last summer because I have Race Face cranks and will accept being called a tart!

Quality seems good and its lasted really well – there are signes of wear on the thick teeth now though (a visible step at the bottom of where the chain sits). Chain retention is still fine though.

jonnouk
    Free Member

I do not recommend a works component N/W. I bought one 2 months ago and have used it for ~5days dry riding. It holds the chain reasonably enough, even without a clutch mech, but it has noticeable dings & wear marks on the wide teeth. Also, the narrow teeth are noticeably rolled-over. This was with a new chain.

There’s no mention of hard-anodizing on the product page so this might be why. The ring is noticeably heavier than my Renthal SR4 which i’ve had for over a year and has been through the grittiest of conditions. The Renthal looks in better condition too.

Northwind

I’ve got one of the first works ones, still going strong…

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I would give a SS a go next as they are a good price and machined in the UK. My RF one has been ok but some teeth look worn and I have broken one of them.

matther01
    Free Member

Have an RF and Works on my bikes. Got an on one ringmaster for my brother in law before they raised the price. Ringmaster isn’t particularly pretty tbh…but for £20 at the time does the job.

elliott-20
    Free Member

Wolf Tooth Components. Well made, no over-the-top laser graphics and free shipping from the States. Worked out no dearer than a RaceFace one.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Works Components is who you are after. UK company who do Narrow/wide chainrings and anglesets(even for 1 1/8th steerers)

timc
    Free Member

elliott-20 – Member
    Wolf Tooth Components. Well made, no over-the-top laser graphics and free shipping from the States. Worked out no dearer than a RaceFace one.

I got Stung for TAX / RM handling on mine, cost close to £60 in the end.

scottfitz
    Free Member
    tonyd

I’ve got a 34T Wolftooth and 30T RaceFace, both do the job I bought them for. I don’t think either have really seen enough use to be able to distinguish much difference in wear rates.

Of the two I’d buy another Wolftooth simply because they’re a small company and I like to support small companies where possible. I only bought the RF as I needed it in a hurry and couldn’t be certain the Wolftooth would make it through customs in time.

I might jump to a 36T soon, at which point I might give those Ace ones a try, since they’re small and British 🙂

Sui
    Free Member

Middleburn told me yesterday 8) that they are releasing there’s in the next few days.. too late for my build 🙁

cookeaa

I fitted my 30t Ringmaster the other day , http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CROOTHTH/on-one-ringmaster-chainring – gone up to £25 now, so its basically the same price as superstar’s http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=41&products_id=930.

I also have a 34t Vectiox that I used for a while on my HT before the 30t: http://www.vectiox.com/shop/4579865168 but they seem to be all out…. Its worn OK so far and will be going on my big bike soon, pretty sure it came from the far east too TBH, nothing wrong with it but Superstar are a fiver less and made a bit more locally if such things concern you…

Basically you shouldn’t be paying more than £30…

scottfitz
    Free Member

I also have 2 vectiox they have not worn out in 5 months like my Raceface did.

chunkymonkey1982
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice folks, went for a 36T chainring from Superstar, they are made in the UK, and are 25.99 posted so a good price.

Will let you know how it does, thanks for the suggestions 🙂

matther01
    Free Member

Are they really made in the UK? Didn’t know that.

Look better than the on ones for same price too

somafunk

Sui : That’s the news i’ve been waiting on, i must admit i’ve been hassling Matthew at middleburn for the past year to design a thick/thin ring that can bolt directly onto the RS8 crankset (similar to Uno) so i can do away with my spider so i may just hassle him with another phone call tomorrow.

warpcow
    Free Member

Still running one of the first Works rings they did (admittedly it did arrive just in time for my first child being born so it’s not had as hard a life as it could have). Wearing well and only dropped the chain once in that time, which seemed to be due to grit jamming the chain.

tonyd

@somafunk – Supposition on my part but given Middleburn have released a Mono spider and discontinued the Uno I’d say you won’t get a thick/thin Uno-a-like from them now. I’d be interested to know what Mathew says if you get hold of him.

Personally I was waiting on the same as you, and Wolftooth have just released just that, but having thought a little about the mono spider I think it’s probably a bit more versatile as I can use the two thick/thin rings I’ve already got. Plus when they wear out I don’t have to buy the whole spider/ring unit that you would with an Uno.

smogmonster

Received the On One Ringmaster today, looks well made, feels reassuringly solid. Cant comment on function yet though as waiting for One up 42t ring to complete the installation.

skeff10
    Free Member

+1forRF nw, in32t flavour. Well made, lasts too.

macca5
    Free Member

These are uk made and their rings are hard anodised.
    Free postage to

Rideworks.co.uk

hora
    Free Member

On One Ringmaster – let us know how you get on. My RF isn’t worn yet but I want to buy one soon to throw straight on when the time comes/is needed.

Rich
    Free Member

My Ringmaster works exactly like the Race Face I have on the other bike.

It’s just not anodised and 20 grams heavier.

Not bad for half the price (since gone up a fiver).

tmb467
    Free Member

I’ve got an Ace Components one on mine…black, nice graphics, teeth look a little small but the chain stays on (although I did lose it once but i was trying to change gear at the same time so probably more to do with that than the ring!)

Chain ring bolts were a nice touch. Just waiting for the dinner plate/sprocket and chain as part of their combined groupset (it may be here already but I’ve not checked the post yet!)

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Which Narrow Wide Chain Ring’ is closed to new replies.