Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Which mountain navigation book?
  • bob_summers

Used to have the Peter Cliff one, pick that up again on Ebay or something else?
    Digital would be a bonus. For hill running.

csb
    lotto
    Free Member

This is what you are looking for.

The new bible

piemonster

I think I have both of those books, you can have the original bible for nowt if I still have it.

Should be able to check this weekend if it’s of interest

matt_outandabout

I’d back that up with heading out at night / mist / ming with a friend who knows thier stuff.

I’d also thoroughly recommend a navigation course for a weekend from a good ML/MIA/MIC.

eastcoastmike
    Free Member

Anybody interested in navigation, check out Fell Running Guide’s series of ‘puzzles’, watch the first bit, pause and have a think on the question then check out the various solutions:

https://www.youtube.com/user/fellrunningguide/videos

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Would a map not be more use than a book? I mean, if its light enough to read…

bob_summers

@piemonster – much appreciated, thanks – though Iˋm in Spain so postage would be a problem. Happy to pay for it though.

@eastcoastmike
    – I follow him on Twitter, always enjoy the Thursday navigation task. Youˋll often find my wrong answer in the comments!

A course would be a good idea and I am considering it. Iˋm possibly the most dangerous type of navigator as I probably think I know more than I do, having grown up in the Lakes and doing orienteering etc., but that was a long time ago and Iˋve been using GPS since the early 2000s.

whitestone
    Free Member

I was going to suggest the Peter Cliff book but also Martin Bagness’ Mountain Navigation for Runners (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mountain-Navigation-Runners-Martin-Bagness/dp/0952100509), a quick google suggests it might be hard to source. I think there was an ebook version.

piemonster

@bob_summers

I’ll be happy to whack in the post if you’re happy to just cover the cost as donation to the RNLI?

bob_summers

More than happy to do that @piemonster – Iˋll PM you my address. Excellent, thanks!

edit – can’t send you a PM for some reason. My email is bob_summ at hotmail dot com

BadlyWiredDog

Lyle Brotherton’s Ultimate Navigation Manual is also very good:

https://www.harpercollins.co.uk/9780007424603/ultimate-navigation-manual/

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I still have my peter cliff book.
    Thanks for the heads up on the nav exercises on YT, I keep thinking that I ought to brush up now and then as tend to use the lazy device too much these days, strange as it takes all the fun out of it and yet you can’t help yourself.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Which mountain navigation book?’ is closed to new replies.