Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Which Mobile Phone do I want…?
  • mboy
    Free Member

Been told to get myself a phone for my new job… I’ve had iPhones since the very first one, though have lost my way with Apple a bit recently as they just take the piss with their prices and screen sizes these days! My current phone is an iPhone SE (now discontinued), which I chose cos it was the same size as the 5/5S (I had a 6 and didn’t like it cos it was too big)… Aside from the terrible battery life, I am perfectly happy with the phone.

But I need a new one for work… So what do I get?

Ideally as close in size to the iPhone SE as possible. Good battery life a bonus. Not worried about all singing all dancing camera (as long as it has one, and the pics are good enough for social media, that’s fine, I have a 50D and a selection of lenses for when I want to take proper pics), not worried about screen size. I’m used to iOS, but am open to the idea of something else AS LONG AS it’s intuitive and doesn’t infuriate the hell out of me!

Budget not really a concern within reason.

kayak23

Google Pixel 3a is rad….for a telephone.

rossburton
    Free Member

TBH I’d still suggest a refurb 6S or newer from something like the Argos refurb store on eBay. The 6S isn’t a *lot* bigger than the SE…

If you want something the same size as a SE then you might have a bit of trouble these days.

nbt

Sony Xperia seem to be good phones without being MASSIVE, especially of prce is not an issue

Kryton57

iPhone  8 is same size with massive improvement in everything, a bit of an under the radar iPhone.

willard

Go for something with good software support. I prefer iOS over Android (security and functional hotfixes, 4 year support life), but the actual Google produced phones are a good bet. Please do not buy a cheap, random Android handset.

AlexSimon

I haven’t found anything that meets the size criteria to be honest (I had a 4, 5S and SE).
    I just had to put up with a larger phone in the end 🙁

mashr

I’d just stick with the same iOS. I’ve got a SE and a Samsung A3 (i think) and the difference grates a bit.

And you’ll want a good phone holder for the car too of course

Have you also decided your laptop?

lunge

Suck it up and buy an iPhone 11 Pro.
    The battery is brilliant and it just works beautifully. Yes, it’ll be too big for the first 2 days but you’ll soon be used to it.
    Also, whilst you said the camera wasn’t a factor, and I say this from the perspective of someone who also has a DSLR that is regularly used, the best camera is the you have with you, and the camera, particularly the wide angle lens, is phenomenal.

andy5390

As mentioned earlier, the Pixel 3a is probably the best Android phone at that size. Anything that is a “better” phone will be bigger

simon_g

8 is the smallest “current” (as in actually sold by Apple) phone.

But worth considering the XR or 11. They’re not a lot bigger than an 8 but battery life is way, way better.

Merak

You like to buy? Click the smiley.

🙂

winston
    Free Member

My Pixel 3 was buggier than a bug hotel and has gone back to have camera repaired.

Now have an s10e which is very good. No curved sides or stupid squeezy sides. Fingerprint sensor on the power button not in the screen. 128gb as standard and room for an sd card on top.

Its physically smallr than a pixel 3 yet has a slightly bigger screen – I think its one of the smallest phones out at the moment.

So basically it has all of the pointless features of the s10 taken away and its cheaper!    I got mine last month for 30 quid a month on 3 with 100gb of data.   Its worth noting that 3 are the only network that have guarenteed no roaming charges after we jump off the brexit cliff. Even got some free galaxy buds with mine (not that they have turned up yet!)

Cougar

Its worth noting that 3 are the only network that have guarenteed no roaming charges after we jump off the brexit cliff.

The others may not have guaranteed it, but as far as I’m aware none of the major UK operators are planning on reintroducing roaming charges post-brexshit. (They’d be mad to unless they all did it.)

They’re about the best for roaming charges generally though (on PAYG at any rate), I have a 3 SIM solely for holidays.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Been told to get myself a phone for my new job

Why aren’t they providing you with a phone if you need one?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Pocophone F1.. good battery, reasonably good camera, decent storage and processor.. should pick one up for £200

jeffl

Some places just give you a budget and say get whatever you want. They pickup the tab.

DickBarton

Got a soft xz2 compact (or something like that), waterproof, dustproof and shockproof, 2 solid days battery life for regular usage (although I don’t watch many videos or stream music on it).
    Decent size and works well.no idea of cost but it has survive real deluges l, bumps and drops and still works.

Cougar

What do you actually need on a work phone? Phone calls, text messages, email? What’s the infrastructure it needs to talk to, are you an Office 365 shop? (Camera for social media?!)

Tallpaul
    Free Member

Real-world the iPhone 11 battery life is only about 11% better (or one hours use). The 8 will still last more than a full working day on a single charge – why do you need more in a work phone?

mboy
    Free Member

Why aren’t they providing you with a phone if you need one?

Because rather than providing me with something that potentially drives me up the wall, rendering it an expensive paperweight, they are allowing me to choose my own that suits my own personal requirements.

The problem is, that doesn’t seem to exist due to everything having got bigger! Oh how I remember when Nokia/Sony Ericcson etc were all in a race to make the smallest phones, now it seems to be the other way round!

TBH I’d still suggest a refurb 6S or newer from something like the Argos refurb store on eBay. The 6S isn’t a *lot* bigger than the SE…

I had a 6 as stated… Really didn’t like it! Got the SE as its replacement (which is basically a 6S inside an iPhone 5 shell) and really like it aside from the pretty terrible battery life.

What do you actually need on a work phone? Phone calls, text messages, email? What’s the infrastructure it needs to talk to, are you an Office 365 shop? (Camera for social media?!)

It needs to do all that, and not drive me up the wall basically…

Popped to a shop earlier when I managed to find 20mins free. Seems that the iPhone 11 Pro is now the smallest (but still bigger than my SE). Looks great, but christ you could buy a bike (or indeed a car!) for that much!

Suck it up and buy an iPhone 11 Pro.
    The battery is brilliant and it just works beautifully. Yes, it’ll be too big for the first 2 days but you’ll soon be used to it.
    Also, whilst you said the camera wasn’t a factor, and I say this from the perspective of someone who also has a DSLR that is regularly used, the best camera is the you have with you, and the camera, particularly the wide angle lens, is phenomenal.

You do make a good point to be fair… I do take umbrage with the fact I can’t get all that inside a slightly smaller form factor though.

scotroutes

Sony XZ2 Compact is the best small(er) non-Apple phone.

Cougar

TBH, I feel your pain. What you want – and what I want – hasn’t really existed for years. Every handset I buy is just slightly bigger than the last one I had. I kinda miss the days of my Nokia 6510.

Cougar

Sony XZ2 Compact is the best small(er) non-Apple phone.

Unless they’ve changed recently, Sony were always apathetic at releasing updates which turned me off somewhat.

DickBarton

Updates seem to be pretty quick after Google releases a new version of Android. As said by someone else, the Sony XZ2 Compact is a great device and definitely a smaller form factor than the iPhone…

phil5556

How long ago did you have the 6? My wife hated hers because at the time it seemed huge, she got an SE to replace it (infact still has it). I’ve got a 6S now and it doesn’t seem big at all these days, infact a lot smaller than my last 2 android phones. You might find the 8 is a good compromise and bearable size.

If you really want to use an SE then get a secondhand one from music magpie and get a new battery for it. And while you’re there get yourself a battery for your current phone.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/iphone/repair/service/battery-power

Only issue is are they going to update the SE next year or has it just had it’s last update?

scotroutes

Unless they’ve changed recently, Sony were always apathetic at releasing updates which turned me off somewhat.

I’m currently running Android 9. Android 10 is expected by the end of the year. Not sure I’ll get the one after.

smokey_jo

Xperia xa2 is not slow and running Android 9. Get a refurb for around £100 and sell it if you don’t like it.

Device size is as close as you’ll get to what you want.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Which Mobile Phone do I want…?’ is closed to new replies.