Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Which Minion as an aggressive trail tyre, tubeless?
  • honourablegeorge

Thinking of a Minion up front – will be running tubeless on Crossmax SX.

Don’t want the heft of the Dual Ply – but there are a load of versions out there – Single ply folding, Exo Protect, and the arse-rendingly expensive Max Terra one.

What do folks recommend? And what Maxxis for the rear? Ardent?

BadlyWiredDog

Minion 2.5 DHF Exo run tubeless up front on a Flow works for me – relatively small for a 2.5, more like a big 2.35 – and a 2.25 Ardent Exo at the rear – big for a 2.25. That works for me, but I can recall Cy from Cotic saying that he found the sidewalls too wibbly for him so he uses a full UST up front, I think. But that’s just from memory.

chakaping
    Free Member

2.5 Exo 3C is perfect for AM riding and works great tubeless on Crossmax SX.

Or give the On One Chunky Monkey dual-compound tyre a go for half the price? Only used mine with a tube so far but it feels quite Miniony.

IA

I’ve agree with the comment about the trail extreme chunky monkey.

Got one and it runs tubeless a treat. Feels like a minion on rock etc, and I prefer it slightly in the mud.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

On the Five, for general duties (Lakeland summits & passes, Calder-tech, etc)- Single ply wire beaded 2.3 or 2.5 supertacky DHF works well for me tubeless on Flow rim. [Edit] I only do SP on the front, the back is always DP [/Edit]

On the Patriot, for anything daft – Dual Ply 2.5 supertacky DHF tubeless on FlowEX

Northwind

The best Minion for trail use on a big bike is the Specialized Butcher 😉 2.3 is the size of a maxxis 2.5, Control is almost as grippy as the 2.5 supertacky (better in slop, not as good on wet rock etc), but weighs less than and rolls better than the 2.35 maxxpro. Oh and tubeless ready. Great success!

If you want tougher, their SX is pretty cool, sort of ply-and-a-half… I’ve used them for downhill racing no bother, but also used them for a week in the alps with some pedalling, not fast or light but way better than a dualply and tougher and maybe a bit more stable than a singleply.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Have a 2.35 single ply maxxpro (do they still do maxxpro?) on the front of my trail bike. Really like it. Run it tubeless with Stans jizz. It does come up fairly narrow, doesn’t look like a big fat tyre.

Had a High Roller on the rear but just about to change it for a Larsen TT (both similar 2.35 maxxpro.)

legend
    Free Member

2.5 on a trail bike? 2.35 absolute tops in my book, although it is funny seeing confused people trying to work out why their muddy tyres wont spin any more.

Northwind

legend – Member

2.5 on a trail bike? 2.35 absolute tops in my book

It’s all relative though- traditionally a Maxxis 2.5 measures up about 2.35. Tyre companies make their rulers out of rubber too 😉

br
    Free Member

I’ve run this one since the early autumn on the front tubeless on a Crest, works well. I’ll be changing it for something less-grippy soon.

http://www.nextdaytyres.co.uk/details.aspx/MAXXIS-MINION-DHF-MTB-26/19/81

butterbean
    Free Member

A 2.3 Butcher Control is noticeably smaller than a Maxxis 2.5 EXO.

It’s also slightly less grippy than the EXO 3C compound, which in turn is noticeably less grippy than a proper dual ply Minion Super Tacky.

However, tubeless with a bit of sealant, the Butcher Control is a great AM tyre, works well with a Purgatory 2.2 Control 2bliss on the back.

The Butcher is about 200g lighter than the Minion EXO too.

Northwind

butterbean – Member

A 2.3 Butcher Control is noticeably smaller than a Maxxis 2.5 EXO.

It’s also slightly less grippy than the EXO 3C compound, which in turn is noticeably less grippy than a proper dual ply Minion Super Tacky.

I’ve not used an EXO but on the same wheels the 2.5 ST is almost exactly the same size as the 2.3 Butcher. Grip’s more complicated, the Butcher clears mud better so even though it’s less sticky rubber it can still grip better. On hard stuff the Minion’s better for sure. All a balance though, for trail riding… I think for myself, I’m less fussed about dry performance, everything grips in the dry but most am-type tyres don’t work as well in the clag.

stevied
    Free Member

2.35 60a here, tubeless (stans) on Flow rim. ADvantage rear (also tubeless). Work great together but might need to go to my summer tyres soon.

legend
    Free Member

It’s all relative though- traditionally a Maxxis 2.5 measures up about 2.35. Tyre companies make their rulers out of rubber too

Indeed, but I wouldn’t put a 2.3 Schwalbe tractor tyre tyre on either. I’ll big the ‘big’ Maxxis 2.5s for the DH bike

honourablegeorge

Northwind – Member

The best Minion for trail use on a big bike is the Specialized Butcher 2.3 is the size of a maxxis 2.5, Control is almost as grippy as the 2.5 supertacky (better in slop, not as good on wet rock etc), but weighs less than and rolls better than the 2.35 maxxpro. Oh and tubeless ready. Great success!

Ah – had forgotten those. What rear to match, then? (Same brand :))

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I use an Eskar on the back, with a Butcher up front, just because I had a few spare kicking around. The knobbles are quite low profile so it rolls quite well for a larger volume tyre.

Once they have have worn, probably go for a Purgatory.

I have some Minion EXO’s but the Butcher I think works better, unless it was a 2.5 Super Tacky which is far too much tyre on anything other than DH.

ae212060
    Free Member

This is it honourablegeorge. You can’t mix and match tyre brands 🙂

Ideally I’d run a single ply 60A minion tubeless upfront.
    I love the ardent tyre for the rear, but I’ve ripped through the LUST and EXO versions and don’t want to run anything other than 60A.

Happy to try the Butcher, I was looking into the 1.5 ply Clutch SX for the rear, but it isn’t renowned for being a fast rolling tyre. The purgatory control has mincey sidewalls IMO 🙁

Then again these are being used on a 160mm Yeti SB-66 that gets taken on the odd DH day.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Which Minion as an aggressive trail tyre, tubeless?’ is closed to new replies.