• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Which mini pump?
  • Bez

So what’s hot in the pump aisle these days?

I could primarily use a new one for MTBs and 700x~47s on the tourer, and the Lezyne Tech Drive HV looks about right. (I’m all tubes, stuck in the 90s, none of this fancypants tubeless stuff here.)

Also I could maybe use a compact track pump for weekends away in the van, and the Micro Floor Drives look potentially interesting for that, but are they worth having over a half decent mini pump?

Then again, Lezyne pumps can be a nightmare if you accidentally buy tubes with removable valve cores, so… Anything better to look at?

DrP

You kind of need to check the pressure capabilities..for example, roadie pumps will be a nightmare on CX/tourer/MTB…

Lezyne are OK – I’ve one of the micro floor pumps in my kit bag, but I’ve a neat little bonty MTB pump on my MTB/CX.

However, if you fancy a cool pump, I’ve got one of these lezyne mini digital pressure pumps for sale; brand new (race prize..i don’t need any more pumps!) that you can have for £40 posted…
    Goes up to 90 PSI, and has a , well, digital pressure gauge…

DrP

Bez

Oh, for sure. I have Road Drives on the road and CX bikes but the HV looks equivalent for the MTB/Tourer. The claimed 90psi from that would be more than sufficient for both, even when I slim the tourer down to 37s.

And ta for the offer but a gauge seems an unnecessary luxury 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

One without a screw on head if you’re using presta. I have the wee truflo mini track pump that is ace at blowing up tyres, but unscrewing it is a bit russian roulette-ish.

Bez

Mm, that’s my concern with the Lezynes. They’re great on fixed cores but I nearly got badly caught out once with a removable core.

molgrips
    Free Member

Just because it says you can get to 90psi, doesn’t mean it’ll be fun or easy. For that kind of pressure I’d get one rated for 140psi and have an easier time pumping up tyres.

I use two pumps – one for mtb and one for road. The mtb one lives in a camelbak and the road one lives on the bike, so I never get them mixed up.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Just tighten your valve cores properly?

Bez

Just because it says you can get to 90psi, doesn’t mean it’ll be fun or easy. For that kind of pressure I’d get one rated for 140psi and have an easier time pumping up tyres.

Of course. But then I don’t go near 90psi on the MTB or tourer. Even the road bike probably only just gets there, if that, on 28s. Like I say, I have road pumps…

And trying to fill a 29×2.35 with a necessarily narrow-bore pump that’ll do 140psi is no fun either* 😉

* ok, doable with a long stroke like a track pump or an HPX, but neither of those are what you’d carry on an MTB…

Bez

Just tighten your valve cores properly?

Aye, probably. Just a potential failure that could be eliminated.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I dunno i’ve had clampy type pumps fail thats a pain in the hoop also.

molgrips
    Free Member

And trying to fill a 29×2.35 with a necessarily narrow-bore pump that’ll do 140psi is no fun either

Yep, that’s why I have two.

Bez

So you know that suggesting a 140psi pump for use on an MTB is a bit silly, then 😉

TiRed

Road Morph or Mountain Morph. When you eventually need a pump, it had better be one that is going to work! Avoid Lezyne, I’ve watched them snap off presta valves on more than one occasion.

trail_rat
    Free Member

yep road or mountain morph. Come with a gauge and just work.

replaced my mountain morph with another mountain morph after 10 years faithful service 😀

added bonus that you can add the bracket just inside your rear triangle on most road bikes and hardtails out of way and doesnt look crap like under the top tube or that.

lucky7500

Issue 111 of the magazine has a large test of trail pumps.

GavinT
    Free Member

Sure, Lezyne ones *can* unscrew your valve core if it’s not done up properly. But other designs can bend your valve core if you’re clumsy/tired or blow off the valve when they become worn.
    For my money I prefer to risk the Lezyne and – yes – do the valve cores up properly.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I recently spent a fortune on http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOPHGP04S/phaart-sbd-mini-pump to have as part of my lightweight “get me home emergency kit after a puncture.”

Easily fits in jersey back pocket with a tube, tyre lever and 5mm hex key (it comes with a bottle cage clip, but yet to fit it, partially because I swap my emergency kit between my commuting gear and my recreational gear on two different bikes).

But touch wood, I’ve yet to have to use it, so no idea how well or otherwise it works.

Now cursed myself and will get a puncture on my next ride! 😆

nbt

another vote for the Morphs – I reckon you’d be better with the Road morph

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Which mini pump?’ is closed to new replies.