• This topic has 19 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by croe.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Which Makita Impact Driver (& poss drill)?
  • djambo
    Free Member

My 10 year old (at least) old black and decker cordless drill has had it. I’ve recently borrowed a makita white drill and impact driver off our builders and was blown away with both the amount of torque they had.

I’m almost set on makita as there seems lots of deals on everywhere. Can you persuade me otherwise?

I’m debating also getting a circular saw in the future as have a large wood store and raised beds/fencing to build. Based on this i’m guessing an 18v (over 10.8v) battery would be more useful for future use with other tools.

There seems to be so many different models. Any idea what i need? Brushless? LXT? Given its only for DIY I dont want to break the bank but don’t mind paying for decent stuff within reason.

Finally should I just get a impact driver? AM i right in think the only things they aren’t great at is fine drilling for woodwork?

DT78
    Free Member

I have lxt stuff, it’s great, no idea of model I bought as part of a set. I can’t see why you would just want a driver? You Not going to be drilling any holes? If you do any work with soft wood you’ll want to predrill holes to prevent splitting.

Think about the batteries you’ll want, I have 5s which last ages but are heavy on the wrist for all day work. I’ve recent picked up a 1.5 much easier for faster work.

I’m even thinking about picking up a second drill so I don’t have to switch bits around when drilling masonry and wood. Not strictly necessary but would save time and faff.

kayak23

I’ve got a big range of 18v Makita. It’s absolutely brilliant kit.

I’ve got the brushless impact driver and combi drill, but as you say, for more occasional use I’d get the lxt. Also brilliant.

Impact drivers do take some finesse of trigger finger.

I put in a couple of 300mm long screws through a fence post today. Insane power!

A combi drill is a great addition as you can pilot with that, screw with the impact. Or, you can do fine stuff and adjust the torque as you wish. Personally, I find the impact I use for all screwing as I’ve got so used to the torque it gives feathering the trigger.

Makita have an amazing range of 18v tools now. I’d defo go 18v as you get more choice.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I have an 18v Makita drill/driver set and it’s more than adequate for my DIY needs. The driver is just for driving screws, it’s not for drilling. Bleddy noisy but very effective. Drill does normal, hammer action and screwdriver. I’ve also got the circular saw and hedge trimmer. Most of the brands do similar deals with battery ‘systems’ you can buy into but I do like Makita.

somouk
    Free Member

Make sure it’s the latest battery tech and is brushless. Beyond that the prices usually come down to how many batteries it comes with.

djambo
    Free Member

Make sure it’s the latest battery tech

Any pointers on how i go about that?

RustyNissanPrairie

I have an 5ah LXT drill & impact driver, perfect for hardcore DIY. Need decent screwdriver bits for the impact as it will shatter them.
    Also have the Makita 18v vacuum which is great for quick and easy spot vacuuming

DT78
    Free Member

I had the hand held vacuum, only thing I’ve knackered from the lxt range. i was using it to clear up after chasing and the brick dust ended up killing the motor pretty quickly. a proper Henry which I.bought to replace it does he job now.

bensales
    Free Member

I bought this set the other day because I wanted an impact driver for putting around 800 screws into a new subfloor in my hall. Incredibly impressed. The driver is still on 75% battery after doing the job.

Didn’t really need the drill, as I already have an 18v cordless Makita one, but mines the old style red battery version, and who needs an excuse to buy new tools?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LXXTCFM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_cpo6CbWZPNPCP

And to answer your question, drill driver for drilling, impact driver for screwing.

matt_outandabout

I’m debating also getting a circular saw in the future as have a large wood store and raised beds/fencing to build.

I’ve an (old) mains power Evolution circular saw. It’s been struggling with thicker landscape timber and only does 50mm depth – even a new rough cut blade has not improved it much.

In the spirit of n+1 I’ve treated myself to a mitre saw. I’ve only made three cuts so far, but much easier on the big timbers to get it properly straight. Our local Machinemart had an Einhell biggy down from £160 to £85 box open…

itlab
    Free Member

If your looking at makita as people have said above go for the 18v LXT kit to give you the most options for future expansion.

For home and DIY use IMO the older non brushless impact drivers do the job just aswell for less money. Like new standards with cycling, the newest 12sp tech is great but you can still ride a 11sp and most people won’t notice. (there are both Brushed and brushless lxt tool and all can use the same battery’s)

You may also find it’s cheaper to pick up a drill,battery charger kit and then get the impact driver bare

In true stw recommend what you own Look at the DTD152 impact driver you should be able to pick it up bare for around £57

matt_outandabout

I’d like to point out as well…

My Bosch GSR 18v combi drill (the blue one, £80 with two 4ah batteries) has just spent nearly three hours chucking 150mm and 250mm big diameter screws through treated landscape timber. No predrilling. No struggling.

I’m sure an impact would be quicker, but how often do you actually put in such huge screws?

I would just go for the best model combi driver you can and not bother with an impact – or would get a 10v screwdriver thing instead.

mehr
    Free Member

This is very good, I’ve got it and their impact wrench https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HB18S5X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_kZs6CbKWGX521

It also takes Makita batteries, comparing it to the Makita versions I’m pretty sure they proper ones with a different body

BigJohn

I’m a carpenter and use my impact driver every day. It’s a cheapie Erbauer that I’ve had a few years and it’s all I ever feel the need for. A magnetic bit holder is the best accessory for it.

I almost never drill pilot holes because I use Reisser or Spax screws that don’t split wood.

For a drill, the lighter the better if you use it a lot. I have a very old Makita LXT with hammer action, an old DeWalt NiCad and a stupidly expensive Festool 10v which looks like a toy but is a dream to use. The Festool is all I use unless I need a lot more grunt or I need 2 on the go.

Oh, plus a Titan SDS if I feel the need to fill a room with brick dust, and a couple of pillar drills.

For a saw, unless I spent a lot of time working miles from a socket I wouldn’t get a battery one. I’ve had good results from the cheapest B&Q circular saw, but I get more speed and accuracy from my TS55.

maccruiskeen

For a saw, unless I spent a lot of time working miles from a socket I wouldn’t get a battery one.

I’d almost agree…. but… a bit like a cordless drill not really being the same tool as corded one a cordless saw (can be) a different kind of tool to a corded one. Light, balanced and with the blade often on the operator side (if you’re right handed) you can do quick, one handed cutting and being able to see the cut mark more easily it makes it more of a replacement for hand saw than a mains circular saw. Paired with a chunky roofing square as guide its a quick, accurate crosscut / mitre saw replacement as well.

They’re a tool that has suddenly become viable now that battery life has improved.

burko73

Careful of the 18v makita kits you get in b& q as they won’t work with the lxt range despite both being 18v.

I’ve got a good few bits from the 18v lxt range and brushless or not they’re all good and more than adequate for even mcmoonter level diy.

Even the circular saw is surprisingly good. Not a gimmick at all.

croe
    Free Member

I bought this brushless combi drill/impact driver set a couple weeks ago for £150 to do some projects at home.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-eid18-li-ecd18-li-2-18v-2-0ah-li-ion-ext-brushless-cordless-twin-pack/542fv

Been very pleased with them so far. The impact driver will sink screws almost instantly!

Although I got the kit, They do several drills – SDS, combi, another higher power combi, drill/driver and impact driver all as bare units or with batteries. A range of bdifferent capacity batteries and chargers available on their own as well.

Bit of a review/overview here.

kayak23

Recently returned my Erbauer router as it had play when you waggled it side to side. Drills may not be such an issue but that was pretty dangerous afaic.

I never, ever learn and always think a cheaper tool will be fine. Most often it just isn’t, so I always try to go at least mid-level now. Makita fits this criteria perfectly.

Excellent quality and likely to support the battery platform for a good while…I hope!

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I have a lot of Makita stuff including an old 18v drill/driver, a 10.8v drill driver and a 10.8v impact driver. Firstly, definitely go brushless (LXT) as it has better control of speed/torque. The impact driver is great, but that’s all it does, so unless you really need it get a drill/driver which is far more useful. The 10.8v stuff is just great to use because it is so small and light and I love it – wouldn’t go back to 18v for drills as I am not a professional using them all day long. FWIW I put in 2500 screws in a big decking project with just the two 10.8v tools

croe
    Free Member

Recently returned my Erbauer router as it had play when you waggled it side to side. Drills may not be such an issue but that was pretty dangerous afaic.

Funny enough I was looking at the Erbauer router and also the mitre saws when I got the drills. Both looked and felt like cheap crap compared to my Bosch mitre saw and my old faithful Hitachi router and I noticed the play straight away on picking up the router. The drills so far look to be a complete step up in terms of quality over their other offerings. Time will tell I suppose.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Which Makita Impact Driver (& poss drill)?’ is closed to new replies.