Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Which lube?
  • tankslapper
    Free Member

For the bike!

Been recommended Rock n Roll chain lube but have always used Finish Line wet – any ideas / experiences etc?

nsaints
    Free Member

used to use Wet Finish Line..now use the dry variant, applying it more often
    I don’t get that horrible gunk over the chainrings and mech anymore
    much nicer

Onzadog
    Free Member

I like Pedros stuff. I use the road lube in the summer and the mtb lube in wetter conditions.

uplink
    Free Member

Rock n Roll is great stuff but you need to follow the instructions
    It’s not easy to apply when its very cold & requires a bit of warming up

The chain will stay clean,shiny & dry & still remain well lubed

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

It’s not suitable for very wet/muddy riding.
    Tried it, it needed re-applying every ride and chain would rust unless it was dried and relubed straight after the ride.
    Went back to finish line wet

uplink
    Free Member

Tried it, it needed re-applying every ride

That’s what I do anyway – regardless of which lube I use – so no difference for me.

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

B&Q Chainsaw oil – ya nose it!!!!!

cp

i use purple extreme – it’s about 10 quid a bottle, but it’s really good! in fact, the only chain lube i’d consider reccomending!

shortcut

Purple Extreme is what I am on too. It does seem to do a pretty good job.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

did no one else really want this post to be non-biking? 😆

tankslapper
    Free Member

You mean like this?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have recently started using motorcycle solid chain wax and so far (its still a bit early to be sure) it is looking far far better than anything else I have used and far far cheaper.

It is staying on the chain far better than other lubes, the chains don’t appear to be wearing and shifting remains smooth. I am only having to apply it every couple of hundred miles not every ride

Its a horrible messy faff to apply – its the solid stuff in a big tin that you melt on the stove.

nickc

It doesn’t matter. Really. Choose one, any one. Make like Mr Miyagi.

poppa
    Free Member

TJ – can you give us a brand name, or is it generic stuff you can buy at any Halfords?

tankslapper
    Free Member

TJ – that’s either a brilliant idea or the biggest wind-up ever? 🙄

‘every couple of hundred miles’! – NIRVANA! (or is that Tequila?)

miketually
    Free Member

http://www.green-oil.net/ is working well for me

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Poppa / tankslapper Putoline chain wax

I only started using it as the weather started to get better so only a cople of wet rides using it. However on those wet rides I would have expected the lube to be washed out of the chain as usual but it didn’t. Its a solid wax that you melt and then soak the chain in.

It is really sticky and claggy but if you wipe down the outside of the chain you don’t get much sticking to it and it certainly appears to both lube and last better than finish line green or pedros both of which I have used

I would think it is slightly less efficient than cycle lubes as being solid it must have some resistance to turning but I am not going to change back at any time soon.

As for lasting hundreds of miles it sure does. It is designed for motocrossers with non o ring chains. Even riding thru axle deep peat / mud did not strip it out of the chain

stuckinarut
    Free Member

+1 Green Oil here

Also their chain cleaner is great, and Green Clean works better than Muc Off IMO. And it’s all nice to the environment.

uplink
    Free Member

Its a horrible messy faff to apply – its the solid stuff in a big tin that you melt on the stove.

Old motorcycle trick

Brings back memories of a Primus stove in the garden & boiling up a chain prior to a long trip 🙂
    Sort of went out of the window with ‘O’ ring chains

You can heat grease up until it melts & pop the chain in that & then wipe off as much as you can when it’s cooled

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Which lube?’ is closed to new replies.