Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Which low budget RC car
  • benp1

I did some research a while back and found a good option, but now can’t find it again!

I’m after a cheap RC car, ideally around £50, with the following requirements

– proportional steering

– small in size (around A5 size, definitely no more than A4 in footprint)

– rechargeable batteries that’ll take a spare, but not be astronomical to replace

– ability to run more than one of them in due course (i.e. frequency that won’t have interference)

– parts availability to deal with crashes etc

– ability to change tyres

I’ve been playing with a couple of my sons cars and putting bits of inner tube on the wheels to give more or less grip. It’s been fun messing around in the kitchen as it’s quite good to drift, but it’s also not the easiest to control as it has binary (on or off, not analogue or proportional) steering and throttle.

I’d like a car small enough to be able to use inside the house, therefore not fussed about it being massively quick but also not talking about rock crawler slow, faster is better. I do have a few car park type areas near home though so would have places to run it that are flat and spacious

If we get into it we can spend more in due course, or buy another to race each other. I’m happy to order from aliexpress/gearbest etc. I’d prefer for it to be ready to run or have minimal set up required. Not interested in making it from a kit

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve always thought like this and bought various RC cars. All have broken in a matter of weeks/months

VanHalen

i`ve been using my old tamiya from about 25yrs ago this summer for chasing hte kids sround the garden n doing jumps. been bloody great fun.

definately robust but i`ll admit its a bit big for in the house though.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Even the expensive ones break with alarming regularity.  I used to carry enough spares to build almost two complete cars.

Spares availability for the cheap ones is almost non existent.

BillOddie

I’ve been looking at Rock Crawlers as they look fun to my old eyes.

I can see it getting expensive as my boys are looking at R/C cars too.

ultracrepidarian
    Free Member

Wltoys 12428, check it out on YT. Brilliant fun.

benp1

That Wltoys one looks like what I had found in my earlier search. Thanks. Slightly over budget though, I thought I’d found a cheaper one

What sort of size are they in real life?

ultracrepidarian
    Free Member

That Wltoys one looks like what I had found in my earlier search. Thanks. Slightly over budget though, I thought I’d found a cheaper one

What sort of size are they in real life?

42x25cm. I wind the throttle trim down and the kids drive it around the house. Plenty of spares and upgrades available, can’t fault it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Which low budget RC car’ is closed to new replies.