Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Which loop at coed-y-brenin?
  • rockhopper70

I have to visit Dolgellau for work and hope to tie in a quick visit to coed. The mbwales site shows 5 or so loops at the centre but which to go for….looking for perhaps a 3 hour ride at a reasonable speed.

And maybe then a shorter, more of a blast loop, time permitting?

Thanks

coatesy
    Free Member

3hrs will probably be a bit tight for The Beast, unless you take in a couple of short cuts (straight up the tarmac after the mid way cafe is a good one). I’d probably do the MBR, the Cyflym Coch, and finish off with the last two descents of the Tarw (leave the first fire road on the other side of the A470 at the inbound sign).If you want more after that, the final descents of the Beast can be accessed by following the fire road past Go Ape’s place, and turning left when you reach the junction.

rockhopper70

cheers coatsey…confirmed for Sunday so any other recommendations??

and might have a bit longer too so is the beast worth doing?

martinhutch

Definitely the Beast if you’ve got time. All the best bits on that side of the forest. I’d still leave off the fire-road loop that starts just after the cafe on the road (especially if it’s as blimmin hot as it is today).

parkesie
    Free Member

Mbr or beast with a short cut to make time for half way tea and cake.

andeh

MBR till after Bugsy, then up the fire roads past the cafe to the top of the Adams family descents, then continue MBR (Pink Hiefer next?) back to the carpark.

Northwind

Beast is the iconic loop IMO and doable in 3 hours but it seems a shame, it’s a great loop to amble round. andeh’s would be spot on I reckon.

And if you’ve got any spare time loop Badger-Beginning of the End-etc, it’s a nice short loop and packed with good bits.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Beast would be my pick as well.
    Oddly, though, I would always take the fireroad after the cafe, though. Lovely views, nice leisurely climb (as opposed to a rather dull, rather steep!) bit of road!

martinhutch

I agree about the views. But overall quite a bit of extra height gained with not much to show for it.

rockhopper70

so all these names of sections..is it obvious from markings or maps..not just your familiarity with the place? ie, am I going to miss a turn/crossroad/junction?

andeh

The bits of singletrack are named on the maps. You can download/print them from the MTB Wales website (clicky), or buy one when you get there.

The fire roads are marked too, so it’s easy to pick and choose bit of trail you want to add or miss out.

rockhopper70

It’s going to be warm…….

maurizio
    Free Member

Having just spent a week there- going back today 🙁 – i’d recommen start of mbr I.e. through to bugsy, a quick ride to the top to do begining of the end followed by glide and the like. Then if you have time, mantrap/pins&needles and follow down is an ace way to finish! (you can squeeze in ‘lifes good’ on the way over)

All sign posted, buts its only £3 for a map pack. A lazy way to finish is the pumptrack/berm start of the minatour which is c. 2km nothing challenging just fast n fun

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Which loop at coed-y-brenin?’ is closed to new replies.