Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Which long forked ti hardtail?
  • bol

In my quest to get back down to one mountain bike I am thinking of replacing my ti xc bike and my mmmbop (which I have only had five minutes, and like), with a ti "do everything" hardtail. I ride mainly xc, but want something that I can also ride with confidence (and fairly limited skill) in Wales and other more challenging places. I'm thinking about the new soda, new hummer, the ragley ti and the new version of the 456 ti. I'd welcome the thoughts and suggestions of anyone with personal experience of any of these frames. I'm a lanky, heavy bloke, so need something reasonably tough as well.

Premier Icon brant
    Subscriber

Ti Ragley will be softer, zippier version of your mmmbop. Though you can tweak the ride quite a bit with forks/tyres/stem/bars.

If you're tall, the steeper seat angle of the Ragley should make it climb better when you're sat down (the idea came to me, following Ton up the Jack Bridge climb) with his ass hanging way back over the rear wheel on the frame he was riding.

b r

456Ti for me, but not sure when you will be able to buy one.

Works well at 140mm.

bol

I know what you mean about the climbing Brant. I've always wondered why I struggled on the steels compared to my shorter mates. I'd put it down to skill, but I'm now delighted to be able to blame the bike!

The only thing putting me off the Ragley is the relative lack of agility through the tight twisty singletrack which my litespeed loves – although it might just be that I need to spend more time learning to ride the mmmbop and playing with fork length. I know it isn't a race bike, but has anyone used a ragley for racing at 120mm? It does seem much more agile at that hight, but also very weight forward, which seems to unstick the rear when braking late. Might be talking cobblers though.

ando227

I did the "one bike" thing, when on-one had a sale of the ti 456. was an offer too good to be missed. No regrets, its superb! Not sure what the new 456 will be like, the only fault with the old one is the bracing on the disc brake side which i feel makes it less compliant than it should be. Benefits from large volume rear tyre for comfort!

Premier Icon brant
    Subscriber

relative lack of agility through the tight twisty singletrack which my litespeed loves

mmmbop requires a different riding style to a litespeed for sure. they're far from slow when you're stood and pinning it.

Black

Cove Hummer would get my vote.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Which long forked ti hardtail?’ is closed to new replies.