Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Which lintels ?
  • qwerty
    Free Member

I’m blinded by the choice!!!

I need a lintels for:

1) Spanning 2700mm across my garage opening of 2400mm. Its a single skin 100mm concrete block build with piers either side of the opening. I want it to have 1 course of fair faced block on the outside to hide the lintel, then a lightweight flat roof, so no real load. May have a roller shutter door on the inside.

2) Same for a pedestrian door.

3) Same for 2 windows, size tbc.

Its all permitted development, no building regulations involvement.

Many thanks.

footflaps

For the door / window I’d use an off the shelf pre-stressed concrete 100mm lintel.

For the Garage opening, I’d ask a structural engineer – my 1.8m span workshop french doors requires a custom made RSJ lintel, which has just been welded up and has gone off to be Galvanized….

footflaps

Or just ask Building Control, they’re really very helpful – I pester them all the time about things…

kevj
    Free Member

Check out the Birtley Lintels website. Load/span tables are included for each lintel. If you need help with loadings let me know.

wrightyson
    Free Member

If you want to “hide” the lintel then it can’t be a concrete. Various choices really, you could just so for an upstand angle or a traditional catnic type. The only load you’ll really get could possibly be heavy snowfall and it is worth bearing in mind. Can you orientate the roof joists either way?

davidjones15
    Free Member

+1 speak to building control, they don’t bite.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Seriously you don’t need to speak to building control.

davidjones15
    Free Member

Is it any more difficult than asking on here?

br
    Free Member

You could just continue the flat roof beams across the opening, and also use wood for the rest – C16?

No expert, just offering an option.

sing1etrack

Have a look at catnic’s single leaf lintels on their website, it’s pretty self explanatory – in effect a metal angle. Print details of what you need, go down to your local builders merchant, show them what you’ve printed out + explain what it’s for to be double sure you’re getting the right things. More expensive than concrete, but as said, you’ll see concrete ones on the outside if you use them.

You don’t need a structural engineer or building control – these sort of lintels are in effect already designed and will hold a course of blocks no problem at all.

wallop

Catnic – from your local Travis Perkins.

Taff
    Free Member

If its single leaf then a Catnic ANG or CCS will be fine. No need for an rsj

Taff
    Free Member

Ps windows and single door won’t need a CCS, that would be overkill

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Which lintels ?’ is closed to new replies.