• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Which lightweight / shower proof jacket
  • thekingisdead
    Free Member

I’m after a very small light weight jacket that I can fold up and store in a jersey pocket (dark side Jersey)

I have a gore tex pac lite jacket, but ideally want something that will fold smaller – to cope with spring showers etc, not all day rain etc.

Have seen a jacket on Planet X which seems to fit the bill, but only in black for my size which I’d like to avoid as all my other road kit is black (safety etc)

Cheers,

swanny853

Sportful norain fiandre light? I have one and it’s impressively water shedding without actually being a waterproof- I’d say it sheds better than my pertex waterproof and is nicer to wear. How long the ‘norain’ (nanoflex) coating lasts I don’t know, but reports seem to be pretty good.

Rolled up requires a whole jersey pocket, basically.

If you do go for it there are actually four (I think) fiandre norain jacket/jerseys from a heavy winter jacket to the windshell LS jersey I’m recommending. They are all named very similar things and they all look similar, which is very unhelpful!

This is the one I have- Sportful Jersey

jam-bo

Gore path packs into a jersey pocket.

Nobby

I still use my ageing Montane Velo Featherlite which will fold down tiny & is showerproof to a point.

shredder
    Free Member

Endura MTR emergency shell.

jonba
    Free Member

I have two montane velo featherlites. The bags they come in are completely the wrong shape for a jersey pocket but a fabric sunglasses case makes them longer and thinner.

They are really good jackets, I’ve had one for nearly 10 years and it is still going strong. Good for light drizzle. You will eventually get damp but it’ll keep the wind off and keep you warm.

The high vis ones (like most high vis items) fade over time. Also while the cut is ok it is definitely not an aerofit. 99% of the time it isn’t an issue but I would never use one road racing.

There are numerous stretchy jackets out there. I have a lusso clear one that is a very good fit for racing. Boil in the bag though, so it either need to be cold or wet enough that a bit of condensation isn’t the worst outcome.

These days there are lots out there. Sportful kit looks nice, dhb have some of their own and all the big names produce jackets of this type.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Thanks cloud nine. Sadly my days of wearing a small ended when I was about 9 yrs old

cloudnine
    Free Member

jeffl

Howies Dyfi. Although mine has a definite pong to it which no one mentions in any reviews.

beargotsoul

Surface Pertex Jacket if you can find in your size from £15 – £25 a little baggy but for the price I’m not complaining and has kept me dry/warm in some heavy showers.

DT78
    Free Member

I just carry a showerproof gilet and prefer to just let my arms get wet (usually I’ve got arm warmers or a LS top on if I’m expecting to get wet as well) find it far more comfy than boiling in a full showerproof jacket.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Which lightweight / shower proof jacket’ is closed to new replies.