Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Which Lightweight Down Jacket?
  • vondally
    Free Member

If you want down then

Decathlon down is excellent value and pretty hard wearing mine is three years old and is still going strong,plenty of weights to choose from

Uniqulo pretty decent but not as good value for warmth but better colours

Alpkit the older large down ones are very warm, but bulky. Lighter ones i think the decathlon are better value,

Arcteryx i have a synthetic down mix and i would not bother paying the premium again, no warmer than others and not a great fit either but big street credit.

PHD pretty much as good as can get in down, not always the best cut so choose wisely. I like mine but ….See below

Jottnar i got one in tk maxx and was impressed but gave it to my older brother who adores it, ex builder, very very warm, very well made.

I would not both with down yes packable, light but synthetic is a better more robust alternative if it is so good used in the wet, stuffed in and out of packs, easy to wash and dry and used in British wet humid muggy climate.

Of the ones i have i would recommend

Decathlon simond/ their mountaineering range, great warmth and really robust. But the sizing are a bit all over so need to try.

Rab generator, i think bought off here and pretty impressive but a box body cut so lots of space but good for fitting things under.

Alpkit synthetic, my daughter swears by hers warm, robust, and been seriously mistreated yet looks good. I found the cut too tight round my shoulders arms but good in body.

Finesterre gilet, i have one bought second hand and trashed for the last seven years just keeps going wash after wash.

TK Maxx have lots of random things in but got a Rock Experience (Italian brand) for 15 quid been great.

I avoid montane as the cut was too short and the prism not that warm.

I avoid Patagonia as the cut is not the best for me.

My ultimate jacket is a black diamond hot forge bought this winter gone for 120 quid a mix of synthetic and down, great fit great warmth great weather resistance and stolen last week when i was in Madrid, gutted.

Good luck

footflaps

My ultimate jacket is a black diamond hot forge bought this winter gone for 120 quid a mix of synthetic and down, great fit great warmth great weather resistance and stolen last week when i was in Madrid, gutted.

Yep, I have one of those very nice indeed!
    Also paid 1/2 price (not worth the £260 rrp).

Only flaw is the down has migrated away from the inside of the elbows, so I get a cold spot there cycling to work in it. Also, probably too warm for winter.

I also bought their fully synthetic jacket (Heat Treat Hoody) half price but don’t need two so have that for sale on Ebay….

I’ve just got an Alpkit synthetic jacket through the post, a bit tight around the shoulders / under arm, but a good thickness for cool summer evenings (too thin for winter use on it’s own). Thinner than an Arcteryx Atom LT, but more windproof as it has a full Pertex outer. In their sale now….

The Arc’teryx Cerium is £299, and I can’t see where the extra £100 is justified, TBH.

They regularly appear on Sports Pursuit with 40-50% off. E.g. Mens Thorium Down jacket.

loddrik
    Free Member

Only ever in mediums though. 😥

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    footflaps
    righog
    Free Member

Anyone know their decathlon jackets can’t make my mind up between these 2

Slide 300

X lite

both look good anyone with first hand experience of them ?

gauss1777
    Free Member

I’m sitting watching the tv wearing the x lite right now. Only such jacket I’ve had and it’s great. Our house is cold, but it’s really comfy and cosy. I love a bargain, so I’m tempted to get another. Style wise it could look a bit better, but for an everyday wear I’d recommend it.

righog
    Free Member

Cheers…It’s top of the list now 🙂

hughjayteens
    Free Member
    Sanny
    Free Member

Haglofs Essens Down LIM. No chest pocket but it is under 200g and packs down super small. Very warm for the weight. I also rate PH Designs kit for wArmth to weight. Not cheap though.

Best bet is to try several on and go for your favourite! 😀

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

That vulpine light weight jacket is utter naff have seen them in the flesh they are like the cheapest jacket you could feel with who knows what rubbish they used for packing it!

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I disagree. I find it warm, breathable and it looks good – not like the Ghostbusters Stay Puft marshmallow man look

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Cotswold have a sale in store only on Patagonia hooded down sweater, £200 reduced to £120. Picked one up yesterday

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Which Lightweight Down Jacket?’ is closed to new replies.