Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 178 total)
  • Which is better – a Hope Hoop wheel or a Border Collie ?
  • TurnerGuy
    Free Member

there’s only one way to find out:

Came bounding out of the ferns in front of me – on a flat sandy path in Horsell common and I wasn’t going too fast. I normal slow right down for all dogs I see but I obviously didn’t see this one.

Don’t think I hit him too hard, more of a glancing blow, as he didn’t yelp and his owner reckoned he would of if it had – I was over the bars and banged my helmet as usual (only just replaced the last one) but not much of a blow.

Dog was only slightly unsettled afterwards – owner put the lead on but I asked her to let him go to see if he was veering to the left or right, but he was ok 🙂

Hope Pro 3 XC-6 with Stans 355 – it has been to CdB, all over tunnel hill, surrey hills, north downs, swinley with no problems so maybe it was the glancing aspect.

However I had just changed my tyres to Mud-X and used a CO2 cartridge to inflate, which is obviously a cold blast. Wonder if that had anything to do with it?

Now to get it rebuilt…

neninja
    Free Member

I hope you got the owners details to claim against them for a new rim/spokes. Dog clearly not under control.

jedi

fault?? sometimes shit happens eh

gingerss
    Free Member

Definately fault as dogs should be under control in public. If it was a wild animal e.g. a badger that would be different.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

2nd Neninja. Offence to have a dog not under control in most outdoor places. Owner is liable for any damage caused by dog not being under control.

Had a minor grumble at some bloke today cos his silly little rat dog was all over my wheels, but in fairness he did accept he was in the wrong and was trying to get hold of the little bastard.

I like dogs, but humans take precedence, always. Anyone who thinks otherwise isn’t fit to own a dog.

northshoreniall

I love how most except the OP is looking at blame whereas he is accepting of the shit happens attitude!

jedi

i love seeing dogs run free. if i ride in local woods i am prepared that i may have to stop if a dog/person/wild animal runs across.

jedi

🙂

godzilla
    Free Member

Wow, just imagine if you hit a labrador you could be dead!
    However if you had Flow’s the story would be a little different.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

😉

I love how most except the OP is looking at blame whereas he is accepting of the shit happens attitude!

If I’d had a wunundred plus quid wheel wrecked, needed a replacement helmet etc, not to mention the hassle of having to then get me and my bike home, I’d not be thinking about ‘shit happens’, more ‘you are going to pay for your irresponsibility’. Why should I be out of pocket cos someone fails to act responsibly according to the Law?

Scenario: I’m drunk, I ride my bike back from pub, I crash into YOUR car causing damage.

‘Shit happenz’, right? 😉

fontmoss
    Free Member

should have been on a 29er…

gingerss
    Free Member

northshoreniall, sorry but this issue makes me angry. I’ve had this happen to me too many times now though admittedly it’s not ended in damage yet. Fed up too with getting abuse from dog owners when I almost run their animals over.

Elfin has it right, people take precendnce over animals. Letting your dog off the lead in public is fine as long as it’s under control – i.e. when you tell it to do something it actually responds.

I don’t understand the relaxed attitude the OP has, hats off to him for the calm and relaxed attitude. I’d have been hopping mad.

khani
    Free Member

The collie definitely won, 😯
    They’re clever buggers y’know 😀 well done op for keeping a sense of humour, shit does indeed happen….

druidh
    Free Member

northshoreniall

Well maybe you guys need to be less uptight.

I obviously missed the bit where the dog owner set the collie to seek cyclist mode, silly me. Do you guys also pay for the damage your bikes may cause to the private land owners property when you ride over it? If one of their deliberately planted trees were to cause you to fall off by deviously sticking its slippy root in your way do you chase for compensation too?

As you would have no insurance and very much doubt you’d hang around to own up to damaging the car then yes, shit happens and if I’m that bothered I will go to scrappy and replace the part or live with it.

hilton83
    Free Member

What consitutes your dog being under control? I am pretty sure letting your dog run is acceptable and under control means not having your dog off the lead if you can’t control it around people other dogs and livestock, ie if it tends to bite or wont come back when called.
    The whole point of taking your dog for a walk is so it can run a get excercise border collies are working dogs so running in and out of bushes is what they do. If you are riding somewhere people walk dogs this sort of thing is to be expected, If it was somewhere like a trail center then thats well out of order.
    Someone once knocked my springer spaniel over on the pavement out side of my house, she was A, on the pavement, B, not wearing a helmet. She went straight over the bars and went off threatening to send the police round, never once asked if my dog was ok or apologised.
    Bit of a crapper about the wheel tho! Looks like you hit a bus not a dog!

M6TTF
    Free Member

I’d certainly take the shit happens attitude – its one of those things, unfortunate. However if it was my dog that had caused it I’d probably offer to get the wheel fixed

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I wouldnt take the shit happens approach, but that’s because I detest dog owners who are not responsible enough to control heir dogs. I like dogs its the owners i often cant stand.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

the owner was an older lady – offered to send me a check for £50 – I said I would check the price of a rebuild.

Feel a bit guilty about it though – wasn’t as if the dog chased me down and bit me – I would rather see the dog running around than not. Not sure if I would cash it anyway.

Luckily it was only a mile or so from home so I could walk back, better than if I had been halfway round the loop 🙂

Couldn’t make my mind up where to go this afternoon – tunnel hill, swinley or surrey hills, so I decided on the local loop – doh!

Will use my spare wheels for a while but a bit nervous as I will have to run tubed for a while 🙁

Aren’t Crests the replacement for 355s?

Flows might be overkill with pro3 hubs.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Well maybe you guys need to be less uptight.

Or, maybe people who own dogs simply need to be responsible. It’s not a massive ask…

I’d love to be in a position to not have to worry about £100, £200 worth of damage and taxi fares home. Sadly, I’m not. That level of damage would take me a while to be able to afford to get sorted, in the mean time I woon’t have the bike to use. Because someone din’t act responsibly according to the Law.

I refer you once more to this scenario:

I’m drunk, I ride my bike back from pub, I crash into YOUR car causing damage.

That’s YOUR car.

Or:

I have a dog, it’s off the lead, knocks you off your bike and you end up needing loads of treatment, are off work for ages, lose loads of money.

‘Shit happenz’, yeh?

A responsible dog owner in this situation would offer to pay for any damage to be fixed, plus ensure the ‘victim’ got home ok. That’s just simple courtesy, nothing more. The minimum they can do, imo.

The whole point of taking your dog for a walk is so it can run a get excercise border collies are working dogs so running in and out of bushes is what they do

That’s fine if it’s your own land.

If not, you have to act responsibly. It’s as simple as that.

Next time it could be a child’s face. 😐

northshoreniall

Seeing as you are getting yourself so wound up on the OP’s behalf when he seems very chilled about I seriously think you need chill out a bit.

I also understood your hypothetical scenario regarding MY car and my answer remains the same – shit happens.

I take it you know exactly the position of the incident, I don’t, so can’t accurately assess the dog owners level of responsibility based on the potential risks likely to be encountered, e.g. footpath – shouldn’t expect a cyclist to be approaching at a speed above which the animal is trained to recall at, otherwise, as displayed by her responsible act of offering payment the animal I imagine would have been under closer management.

“A responsible dog owner in this situation would offer to pay for any damage to be fixed, plus ensure the ‘victim’ got home ok. That’s just simple courtesy, nothing more. The minimum they can do, imo.” –
    maybe read the op post above yours and see that this super villain dog owner did this? Also he says was short distance from home so suspect taxi may have been overkill, or slight hysteria from you.

And yes, dog knocks me off bike, shit happens, hopefully it’s learnt to keep clear of bikes in future

freeride_frankie
    Free Member

Get a grip. How you gonna prove who had the right of way in a country park. Dog’s have as much right to live on this rock as you or I do!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Seeing as you are getting yourself so wound up on the OP’s behalf when he seems very chilled about I seriously think you need chill out a bit.

😆

Ok then.

Get a grip.

I do actually need a new pair. Got any recommendations?

northshoreniall

No recommendation I’m afraid, I’m just a mug who takes what the shop recommend, once the colour matches frame obviously

freeride_frankie
    Free Member

Odi ruffian mx are the only ones for me!

northshoreniall

Ruff-ians you say? Preferred by collies I believe

khani
    Free Member

Odi yeti, luvverlyjubberlyrubberie…..

M6TTF
    Free Member

Owner offered to pay, sterling effort IMO. If it was a chav scumbag I’ll bet they would be trying to claim off you for the dog regardless of whether it was injured haha

freeride_frankie
    Free Member

😆

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Actually these ‘womens’ ones might be good cos I’ve got weeny little haynds:

Or these Clarks Lock On ones look good:

These look like garden tool handles:

v8ninety

I spose the level of liability of the dog owner would depend upon whether the dog wasn’t trained or controlled well enough to not run at bikes or be commanded to stop. If the dog was just running across the path of the bike coincidently then it could be ‘knock for knock’ so to speak, or even the cyclists fault, for failing to brake or take evasive action.

All three situations are possible, and given that the OP didn’t give extensive details of the incident, I think it’s fair to say he’s not too fussed about playing the blame game. Nice of the dog owner to offer a donation towards a new rim, I would accept with good grace and move on. Main thing is, both rider and dog are uninjured.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Nice of the dog owner to offer a donation towards a new rim, I would accept with good grace and move on. Main thing is, both rider and dog are uninjured.

Yeah, ultimately, that seems like a reasonable conclusion tbh.

althepal

I initially thought the op had a fiscal dilema about which one to buy!
    What tyresTGIF running into a collie?

freeride_frankie
    Free Member

Peace restored!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Owner offered to pay, sterling effort IMO

indeed – she took my mobile number to call me later and then actually did!

Seemed a nice lady – might have been a little defensive to start with but my concern for the dog probably disarmed her!

It was on horsell common so whereas there are a few bridleways and footpaths there are also loads of unofficial paths that even the horses go down. I would have to look at the map to see what it was – I think it was a bridleway due to the width and a horse came along shortly afterwards.

No chance to brake – didn’t see him until he was under me – then I saw him for a while as I rotated through the air!

Bonty Mud-Xs clearly not good for avoiding dogs 🙁

should have left my ignitors on…

headfirst
    Free Member

Those mud x’s must be from the same jinxed batch as mine. First ride with then on today and I’m now sat here with my left wrist in a cast. And I don’t have a dog as an excuse for my silly fall…

ononeorange

+1 OP’s attitude +1 Jedi!

matt_outandabout

:0 Is it just me?

compositepro
    Free Member

about 4 weeks ago I could have told you the outcome of springer versus wheel versus cutgate….2 broken twos and a toenail removal later we are all getting along fine again

ps dog’s change direction so quickly

muddyman
    Free Member

sorry but thats clearly the riders falt , should have bunny hopped ( or should that be collie hopped ?) the poor animal.shows the rider was out of control not the dog !! 😕

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 178 total)

The topic ‘Which is better – a Hope Hoop wheel or a Border Collie ?’ is closed to new replies.