Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Which iPad to go for?
  • grantway
    Free Member

Question with an 13inch Mac Book Pro I fail to see the reason for buying an iPad
    as I get great battery life and can do everything and have it all to hand.

If I was worried about weight I would consider an Apple Mac Book Air

cozz
    Free Member

i bought the 32gb for the extra £80 odd over the 16gb, mainly cos ive got a load of photos on it

also got a 13″ mac book pro, but will use the ipad for when travelling, and quick browsing

always loved my gadgets, have bought a ipad 2. macbook pro and iphone 4gs in the last year, you kinda get one and get used to the way t works and add to it

chunkypaul
    Free Member

Question with an 13inch Mac Book Pro I fail to see the reason for buying an iPad

bacause Mac Book Pro costs over twice the price of a ipad2…

grantway
    Free Member

chunkypaul – Member

bacause Mac Book Pro costs over twice the price of a ipad2…

LOL so really I am right that its pointless if you have a 13inch Mac Book Pro
    and as I’m not Gadget man its pointless considering one.

GJP
    Free Member

I have a 13in mac book pro and have just bought the iPad. I did consider buying a mac book air, but thought it was too close to the pro in terms of usage, and more money.

Horses for courses iPad much better at some things and mac book better at others. I am impressed with just how good the key board is on the iPad and how quickly you can type etc.

In terms of portability and ease of use, ie. like a phone it is always on, rather than pc, then the iPad has many advantages.

grantway
    Free Member

In terms of portability and ease of use, ie. like a phone it is always on, rather than pc, then the iPad has many advantages.

GJP not taking the pee but what are the advantages for having the iPad when owning a 13 inch Mac Book Pro?Only had been interested in an iPad but can’t see the benefits

GJP
    Free Member

Grantway – i would put it as the balance of uber portability and ease of use.

An iPhone/Android phone does well on the former but not so good on the later other than for very limited uses. A Mac book pro/air – if truth be told doesn’t score too well on either. It is not that portable, I am not suggesting that a mac book pro/air is not easy to use, but it is not suitable for all contexts (e.g front line airline staff flying at 35,000 feet).

Could I have survived without an iPad and just got by with a mac book pro then yes I probably could have done. But an iPad will “enrich my life” in a number of small ways. Are they worth the best part of £600 then probably not, but that is true for many of us and our purchases.

Thankfully, I am fortunate enough not to have to think too hard or worry much about such things, but it is revealing that I started this thread in the first place. If it were a no brainer for me I would have just gone and bought the damn thing without eliciting the views of others.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

LOL so really I am right that its pointless if you have a 13inch Mac Book Pro

not so pointless to some people then?

zokes
    Free Member

but it is not suitable for all contexts (e.g front line airline staff flying at 35,000 feet

Where presumably it’s in flight-mode with all transmitting devices turned off, otherwise the plane will fall out of the sky in a ball of flames?

mboy
    Free Member

Erm, you’re not really comparing like for like there, apples with bananas if you will. The iPad is a brilliant product, it is highly portable and very quick and effective at some simple computing tasks, whilst being very intuitive to use for those people that don’t like or want a conventional computer. The MacBook Pro is a very powerful laptop computer, running a brilliant operating system, but it is a computer not a tablet, so has all the drawbacks of relative lack of portability, complexity (though not compared to Windows) and of course expense…

Both are great for their own reasons, but what is more suitable for you, only you will be able to tell…

podman
    Free Member

I have access to a 16GB iPad, 11″ MBA, 15″ MBP and a 21.5″ iMac. They’ve all got their uses (well, except the 15″ MBP which I really need to sell, but I’m not sure where- worried about getting ripped off!), and I wouldn’t be as productive without ’em!

I’m an HCI student, and I’m currently traveling 2 hours to and from London each day. When I’m at uni I often require use of a computer- workspaces and computers are really not well provided for at UCL, so I usually end up taking my MBA. The MBA is also absolutely necessary for working overnight when I have a hotel or stay over with somebody.

An iPad wouldn’t really be suitable for this- they’re far too limited for media creation, multitasking, and lack a tactile input. I see many of my colleagues trying to do work (creating presentations, user-testing, etc.) on ipads, and it often looks like they’re spending more time playing with stuff than actually getting work done & being productive… They’ll defend them to death though, so they’re presumably happy with the situation!

Even with the small screen on the MBA it’s very possible to use it like a “normal” computer or laptop, especially when you make good use of full screen apps and spaces. However, it’s a complete pain to use the MBA on public transport- I often don’t feel comfortable getting it out on the train, and its impossible to use a laptop whilst standing. So, I often borrow the iPad (I have a Touchpad too, but lack of a good pdf reader means its not so useful for me), mostly for use on public transport, when I’ve not wanted to carry the laptop, or whilst in bed. My course requires LOTS of reading, almost all of the material is distributed electronically, along with many of the textbooks.

The iPad, combined with an app like Goodreader is great for making the best use of time on the train/ in bed/ anywhere I feel comfortable to get it out. Apps like IAWriter and sketchbook also mean that if an idea suddenly pops into my head I can quickly type or draw it up. I also have other stuff on the ipad for when I’m not feeling productive- the Guardian app is pretty good, Instapaper is useful, as is twitter, etc.

The iMac lives at home and is a bit of a luxury, it makes working and procrastinating considerably easier- the sandybridge quads are ridiculously quick, and a bit more screen estate really helps! When I have time I do a pit of photography & the screen isn’t idea for that, but otherwise I love it. If I didn’t have the iMac at home I’d have got the 13″ MBA or kept with a 15″ MBP instead of the 11″.

However, I’m not exactly a typical user, so much of this may not be useful… My mum is quite happy using an iPad for most of what she needs, so you really need to think about your particular use of the devices.

I tether using my phone so have the wifi only model, and 16GB has never been restrictive, but I only really have books, articles and papers on the iPad. If I upgrade to the next model with the double-resolution screen I’d likely get 32GB, as it’d be useful for using with Photosmith in the future.

Now, I’d best stop procrastinating and get some work done, or I won’t have any time to go riding before term starts…

mudpup
    Free Member

We bought a 32gb wifi iPad2 in white (cos it doesn’t show the fingerprints so much). Using it mainly at home via router for webby stuff, pics and guitar bits. Refurb from apple shop at 419quid with the full apple warranty support. Really pleased with it so far.

GJP
    Free Member

Well as a technical numpty I am well impressed. For sofa browsing it is a pure joy to use. I should have bought one 12 months ago. It puts my MBP to shame for surfing. The touch screen works so much better than the tracker on the MBP.

I have not used 3G yet, but it can’t be any worse than my android phone.

DaddyPig
    Free Member

The Kindle Fire should be out in the UK soon. Doesn’t do everything the IPad can but will be cheap as chips.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Q for all you tetherers do you need to jailbreak/ root Your phones for this to work ???

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Which iPad to go for?’ is closed to new replies.