Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • which HollowTech II BB for a commuter…. ?
  • jeb

Hello

sooooooooo, what is the smart choice at the moment.. ?

martymac

I’ve had an ultegra on my cx bike for a couple of years, works just fine.
    I think I paid around £30 for it or so.
    Just make sure you don’t over tighten it and it’ll be fine ime.

sirromj

Deore BB52

qwerty
    Free Member

XTR for around £30, fit and forget.

lordmerchant
    Free Member

Ultegra or XTR depending on the frame, fit and forget for years.

davewalsh
    Free Member

I’m currently running a praxis works on my soul, am impressed with how well sealed it is. After a few months, I reckon it’s as good as my previous hope one at a fraction of the price. Bearings are replaceable and the chainset runs directly on the bearings, none of those daft plastic top hats.
    https://www.merlincycles.com/praxis-standard-bottom-bracket-93679.html

kerley
    Free Member

I have used Ultegra for years all year round but not for committing. They last a few years and only cost around £18 on eBay so good enough for me.

scotroutes

XTs regularly for sake at less than £15 on Chiggle/WainReaction.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Tbh ive not had problems with external BBs in years. Currently have shimano, gxp, gusset and hope on various bikes.

They all feel notchy and rough after a year or so but take at least as long again to develop any play.

Just seems a different way of failing compared to square taper which remained smooth right up untill they developed play or siezed solid (or bent, or snapped).

jeb

Thanks guys, super answers !

alexnharvey
    Free Member

They all feel notchy and rough after a year? That’s damning.

kerley
    Free Member

That’s the effect of water and grit. Same with lower headset bearings for me as I don’t use mudguards so they get attacked by water.

scaredypants

Saint here

Longer cups so they don’t strip/wear threads when you forget about them for a year

Whatever you get, I’d also always open up and pack with heavy grease – I leave grease round the outside of the seals too

hollyboni
    Free Member

I’d just go Shimano, but make sure you get one that fits your crank, there has been small changes. If it’s an older crank your only options are probably Deore or Tiagra (BB52 and BB-RS500).
    A buddy of mine tried to use a newer Ultegra BB (that requires the adapter for the wrench) with an old Tiagra crankset and it wasn’t a good fit.

scaredypants

Oh, wait – nobody’s said – road and mtb are different widths and not interchangeable. You need the right “type”

squirrelking
    Free Member

The newer type brackets just use a different tool for fitting, I had to do a lot of reading to check compatibility with my SLX cranks, widths are still exactly the same.

And no, don’t mix road and MTB as the axle lengths don’t allow it.

kerley
    Free Member

And no, don’t mix road and MTB as the axle lengths don’t allow it.

Not correct. The BBs are suitable for both 68 and 73 width bottom bracket shells and the plastic tube in the middle of the cups is long enough for 73 but can go as short as 68 as the cup slides down it.

yohandsome
    Free Member

I have XT, but would get Saint if I had to choose again as it uses the more common 44 mm tool compared to the weird 41 mm XT uses (no, the plastic adapters break easily). It’s gold though.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Kerley I can show you a comparison between my mtb and road cups if you like, the road bracket has a different thickness of bearing shell and shorter thread insertion meaning you can’t just swap the plastic spacer between the two. I should know because I tried to use an Ultegra bracket to fit my SLX cranks et and it came up hilariously short as its designed for a shorter axle length.

Alternatively you can read this fuller explanation https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/47334/difference-between-road-mountain-hollowtech-ii-bottom-brackets

kerley
    Free Member

thanks for correcting me squirrelking. I have swapped between the two with no problem but guess I just used more spacers on the MTB cranks with road BB so it worked fine. The BBs are still marked as 68/73 so the plastic spacer will still be fine though as it can accommodate 5mm difference in BB shell.

squirrelking
    Free Member

The MTB spacer covers both as even on a 68mm shell the added cup spacers bring it back out to 73mm (plus e mount).

It is possible to swap between the two but it’s a bit of a bodge and you’re not going to get the correct spacing for mtb unless you use different cup spacers

kerley
    Free Member

It is possible to swap between the two but it’s a bit of a bodge

Wouldn’t be the first time. You should have seen me installing external headset cups when I used to have frames that required them…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘which HollowTech II BB for a commuter…. ?’ is closed to new replies.