Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Which helmet light?
  • curiousyellow
    Free Member

Hello all.

Seeing as winter is coming I’m in the market for a new helmet mounted light.

I previously used a Fluxient Mini, which also doubled as a commuting light. I’m now looking for a dedicated helmet mounted light. The major problem with the Fluxient is the helmet mount. Try as I might, the velcro straps don’t fit snugly, meaning there’s some “flop” when your head moves. This is not so bad from an illumination point of view on the high setting, because the light is very powerful. However, I’d like something with a more refined mount that is not as faffy.

Is there a decent mount I can use with the Fluxient, or should I suck it up and buy an Exposure (which costs about 6 times the price of the equivalent Fluxient)? Or is there an alternative?

Gary_M
    Free Member

I use a solarstorm x2 with this helmet mount. Works well although I do fancy going cable free with a helmet light this year.

But you could use a u-block with the fluxient

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Wonder how long the exposure will cost and how much better a nice fitting non moving light would be worth…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    curiousyellow
    Free Member

The light I’m looking at is around £200 from Exposure. The Mark 7 Diablo I think. I don’t mind paying for it (Cyclescheme accessories voucher should save me a few quid there), but I’d not mind trying a cheap alternative before taking that option.

Forgot to say, I don’t want any batteries mounted to my helmet either.

I’ve already got on of those U-mounts. I cannot get it to fit snugly enough to not “flop” though. Double sided velcro using a buckled loop would probably sort it.

iainc

Diablo is good, although I find them a little heavy on helmet. You could get a Joystick for a chunk less cash – weighs less, good beam.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I don’t want any batteries mounted to my helmet either

Battery goes in the camelbak as I always carry that commuting in winter. Could go in a jersey/jacket pocket though.

But I think to tidy things up I’ll be going for a joystick with a red eye rear. For commuting the helmet light is generally for emergency use.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Always used an Exposure Joystick here.
    Spotty Dog IMHO.

40mpg

I’ve got a Solarstorm X2. I took the mount Gary_M linked to above and trimmed off all the gubbins so its just a D shape, and fix the light to the helmet using that and the rubber band for bar mounting. Very neat and tidy, and still allows easy up/down adjustment. You will need a cross-member in the right place on your helmet to wrap the band around though.

Battery either goes on back of the helmet with a velcro strap, or in camelback, depending on mood.

However I’m ooming and aahing about a joystick at the moment as they are just so much lighter, easier to mount, reliable and affective.

iainc

i am on my 3rd or 4th Joystick, having started with a Mk 2. I also use a red eye on back, which is fine for group riding off road as not too bright but a good marker. Yes, they cost a bit more, but I tend to sell on somewhere between 1 and 2 winters old and it costs me around £50 each time, which I think is good value for a faff free decent lightweight light.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I thought the red eye was 80 lumens Iain? Or is it a red eye micro you use?

fathomer

I’ve just received an Exposure Axis mk3, not used it yet but it didn’t cost much more than the Joystick and only weighs slightly more but more powerful and apparently more spotty.

iainc

Gary_M – Member
    I thought the red eye was 80 lumens Iain? Or is it a red eye micro you use?

yes, sorry, the micro…

dannyh
    Free Member

I’m currently running an X2 on my lid with battery down in top pocket of my camelback.

For sheer brightness it is great, but I have to say that the cable-faff is becoming slightly annoying.

I have an old(er) joystick (might be a mk6). I love the simplicity and low profile – but it is nowhere near as bright as the X2.

I might try the joystick again soon just to compare – I keep twotting my head on low branches at the moment!

iainc

New Joystick is plenty bright at 800 lumens 🙂

although it gets washed out by the Maxx D on the bars at 2600…..

Gary_M
    Free Member

Stop going on about joysticks Iain, I’m trying not to spend any more money on cycling kit this week 🙂

benp1

Get a lockblock or other rubber mount and it’ll be fine
    I use a normal torch on my helmet but my U2 mini fits in that fine

iainc

🙂 @ Gary_M

harrytoo
    Free Member

I use an X2 on my helmet, fixed using Velcro (the strong stuff).

Just remove the mounting block from the bottom and replace with some inch wide strong Velcro tape, then stick the corresponding tape onto the area on which you want to mount the light on your helmet. No more than an inch projection off the top of the helmet so no wobble, less risk of trees etc.

Wire is threaded through helmet vents, inside my jacket and dropped into my inside pocket.

Poopscoop

Wont the X2 directly mounted that way transfer a lot of heat into the structure of the lid?

harrytoo
    Free Member

Have never noticed, Hasn’t marked the surface of the shell in any way.

Don’t tend to run it on high as its only there to fill in the gaps when I’m looking round corners.

harrytoo
    Free Member

Just having a quick look…..

Because of the shape of the light I have mounted it upside down for maximum contact area, and filled the hole with a glob of mastic.

This means the cooling fins on the bottom of the light are fully exposed.

Has lasted me so far without marking my helmet or filling with water so seems like a solid solution to me.

gravitykids
    Free Member

I recently went for a Thorfire C8S XM-L2 and it’s a quality piece of kit.

Link Here

I bought an Xtar 18650 3400mAh battery and an Xtar single cell charger.

The smooth reflector gives a lovely spot, with fantastic throw.
    I can get over 2 hours on full power (4 modes to choose from) out of a single charge.

For less than £30 (in total) it’s a great setup.

I mounted it to my helmet with a gopro helmet mount coupled to a gopro handlebar mount (for holding the light). I can probably post a picture if anyone is interested.

gravitykids
    Free Member

Crappy picture of the gopro style light mount (albeit with another light which didn’t perform very well.)

andyjh

Also got fed up with rubbish mounts last year. Was using a Fluxient and paired this with an Exposure helmet mount and that worked great. Eventually went for a Diablo to pair with a Maxx-D and it’s great. Works well with the Maxx-D as its a little brighter than the Joystick. Nice Tap technology feature so you can switch modes just by tapping your helmet rather than trying to find a small button with gloved fingers. Also works well as a main light on the bars when you just need a get you home light at the end of a ride. I also use it on the bars of my road bike as the Maxx-D is OTT for this job.

Well worth the money to me.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Hey there. Would any Exposure mount work with the Fluxient? I have a U2 Mini. The diameter is a little bit over 25mm when measuring with a ruler at the widest point.

andyjh

I have the U2 mini also and this worked well with an Exposure helmet mount 🙂

razorrazoo

U2 mini owners look here for a low cost helmet mounting option.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Which helmet light?’ is closed to new replies.