Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Which Helicoil/Thread Repair Kit?
  • ash258369
    Free Member

Need to sort out a stripped thread on a brake mount on some forks

Is it best to go with a proper Helicoil kit or are some of the cheaper ones just as good? Any recommendations?

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I use the dormer M6 and M5 ones and work very well and probably stronger than the standard alloy thread and stainless so wont seize the bolt

cloudnine
    Free Member

I’ve just stripped the top 3-4 threads off mine by putting the short bolt in the long bolt hole.
    Have threadlocked it in for now but would also be interested in a helicoil kit

reedspeed
    Free Member

You wouldn’t helicoil a 5/6 mm hole !,you’d go up a size just drill & tap the next size up ,5 to 6,6-8 etc ..

Baznav
    Free Member

Any helicoils should be fine, as for drilling and tapping to the next size up that’s not possible on a fork mount because you would 1 seriously damage the integrity of your post mount and 2 an m8 bolt won’t go through your caliper.

sbob
    Free Member

reedspeed – Member

You wouldn’t helicoil a 5/6 mm hole !,you’d go up a size just drill & tap the next size up ,5 to 6,6-8 etc ..

Why not?
    A lot less hassle than having to possibly remachine a counterbore to accept a larger cap head bolt.

I think Armstrong were my preferred supplier, having fitted many thousands of inserts of all sizes and types.

chrisdw
    Free Member

The whole idea of a helicoil is that is keeps the same size bolt as before.

I just bought a cheap kit from eBay. Worked great.

sssimon
    Free Member

I bought an M5 set off ebay (silverline I think) to fix a set of crossmax wheels with stripped disc mount. I’ve since bought m4, m6 and m8 sets and repaired stems/seatposts, a few post mount forks and even a rear end on a stumpjumper fst for a load of mates

best purchases I’ve made in a while, £40 total spend and probably recovered £500-600 worth of components and still have most of the kits left.

reedspeed
    Free Member

Depends how confident & skilled you are,I know what i’d do !.

Ambrose

What would you do?

stu1972
    Free Member

Time-sert inserts. Superior to the standard helicoil.

sbob
    Free Member

Ambrose – Member

What would you do?

Talk out of his arse, I’d wager. 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Which Helicoil/Thread Repair Kit?’ is closed to new replies.