Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Which hardtail?
  • dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Looking for a hardtail and differing standards are really making life difficult.

I have 2 good sets of 26 inch wheels and tons of tyres and a set of 140mm tapered forks going spare.

So which slack hardtails (frame only) are there for 26 inch wheels and tapered forks?

dimitriscsd
    Free Member

Grab a ragley piglet v2 from CRC and ride the heck out of it 🙂

typer
    Free Member

Santa Cruz Chameleon 🙂

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Not thought of alloy bikes. Used to riding steel hardtails – food for thought.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Stanton Slackline?
    Link

honourablegeorge

You probably wamt a Soul, really. Or one of the less good ones.

nickc

Privee Shan

matt_outandabout

Grab a ragley piglet v2 from CRC

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Soul’s (and BFe) seem steep though. Last hardtail I had was a Summer Season and I quite liked how slack it was.

Ooops Matt – still not sent that stuff for the kids.

Privee Shan

-in my dreams where I have a lot more money in the bank than I have now.

matt_outandabout

Don’t worry – we are moving in a fortnight, its just more stuff to move at the mo! will send you new address.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

😀

dimitriscsd
    Free Member

I recommended the piglet as a cheap yet really good frame for a “spare parts” bike as you mentioned.

If you want something a bit more expensive, then BFe would be a great choice.

rj
    Free Member

456 Evo Ti? Looks like spectacular value next to the Stantons.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Soul, 456, blue big or stanton. Next.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

I fancy the 456 as I liked the SS geometry but no good for tapered steerer.

Piglet looks tempting for the geometry as well.

Lol at ‘spare parts’ bike. I don’t earn enough for anything else.

dimitriscsd
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with that. Judging by your own words I figured you wouldn’t want to overextend on this build, as you’re using already existing wheels and fork that aren’t being used.

I’m sorry if you felt in any way offended. That was not my intention.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Not offended at all. Just a reflection of how much we (as a group of hobbyists) spend on bikes.

I have a wife and 2 teenage lads who ride as well so have a lot of bikes to keep rolling.

When the boys leave I am going to live it up and have a dream bike. 😀

matther01
    Free Member

Just gone from a Soul to a Slackline ti (which I believe is 0.5 degree slacker than a standard slackline).

Evo ti is much cheaper true…but the attention to detail and craftsmanship is simply stunning on the Stanton.

Stevied on here often rides the gravity enduros on his and loves it.

vondally
    Free Member

dialled alpine like what I am selling 8)

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

vondally – can you drop me an email?

Ta.

accu
    Free Member

dialled prince albert 853…
    mike sells the last 26″ prince alberts for 225.-incl.delivery..

docrobster
    Free Member

Prince Albert won’t take a tapered steerer fork.

honourablegeorge

I’m still absolutely baffled by On-One making the 456 Evo incompatible with tapered forks. What were they thinking?

Andy-R

Last version of the Genesis Alpitude, which wil take tapered steerer forks. I’ve just built up an earlier one (the white frame version) and I think it’s the dog’s bollocks. I’m enjoying it more than any other bike at the minute anyway.

davewalsh
    Free Member

As a previous owner of a Blue Pig, I would definitely recommend the Ragley Piglet (if you can stand the colour scheme).

wiggles
    Free Member

Dialled alpine, new one for tapered fork. They are the best (my unbiased view)

Northwind

Ragley Mmmbop if you can find one- should be cheap (they were cheap new after all), proper full fat 1.5 head tube, etc. Stiff as a stiff thing, I got royally fed up of the back end having a mind of its own but other folks love that. The geometry’s bloomin brilliant- fantastic pointed down but unexpectedly superb as a technical climber too.

sam3000

honourablegeorge… what baffles me is that any decent fork on one sell is tapered? perfect match for their 1 1/18th” only frames…..

Frame wise I would recommend and Identiti AKA. Sliding dropouts, 130- 150mm travel best at 140mm, aluminium, tapered headtube, comes with headset (for straight and tapered forks), seatpost, clamp and shims if you want to use up existing posts you already have. Really good fun to ride.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

What baffles me is the lack of compatibility.

Eg Ragley Piglet recommended needs a 120mm fork if using tapered steerer or a 1 and 1/8th fork for 140mm.

Most 120mm forks are lightweight cross country models and decent 1 and 1/1/8 forks are almost non – existent.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Stanton Slackline…but I’m biased!

Replaced my BFe with one and much prefer the Stanton. It feels much more lively to ride. I really like the sparkly grey too.

flyingmonkeycorps

I’d second the Mmbop recommendation – and not just because I’m selling one 😉 ace fun to ride as Northwinddsays, loves been thrashed downhill.

dimitriscsd
    Free Member

dangerousbeans you’ve got it completely wrong.

What Ragely recommends for the Piglet is up to 140/150mm of travel with an internal bottom cup on the headset, and up to 120/130mm of travel with an external.

All this has nothing to do with tapered steerer or not.

Source: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/gr/en/ragley-piglet-2-hardtail-frame-2014/rp-prod90795

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

But you have to use an external cup on xx44 head tubes to fit a tapered fork.

Zero stack cup will only work with 1 and 1/8 steerer’s on xx44.

Frames with a tapered headtube are 50mm internal diameter rather than the 44mm ones on bikes like the Piglet.

dimitriscsd
    Free Member

I guess you are right on that one.

What about 130mm then? 10mm of travel compromise if you really think 120 wont be enough.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

In summary (and ignoring road bikes which do something different again) you can have:

Internal diameter of (I think) 34mm which is for external headsets with 1 and 1/18 steerer forks.

xx44 with 44mm internal diameter top and bottom which will allow 1 and 1/8th steerers fir internal headsets, tapered steerers with upper internal headset and lower external headset or 1.5 inch steerers with upper and lower external headsets.

50mm internal diameter headtubes will allow all 3 steerer types to be used with the appropriate cups.

Then there are 2 types of tapered headset (E2 and Scott/Lappiere) which allow tapered to be used with internal headsets, I and 1/8th steerers with an insert into the bottom cup.

Glad we have a headset standard to make sure it’s not really difficult.

EDIT: In respect of the Piglet I don’t think it will make loads of difference and I am still pondering what to buy. I want it to be as future proof as possible but they will probably change everything again as soon as I buy something.

dimitriscsd
    Free Member

There’s always it’s big brother, the Blue Pig, if you really need more travel.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Aye. It’s beer I need now more than owt. And my tea. 😀

speedstar

Just built a 456 Ti and it has made a stunning bike. Feels like 1″ travel at the back. Still getting used to cycling a HT after a full-sus but this was the best value I could find. Got 150mm up front and it goes faster than I want to (so far!). Can’t recommend it enough for a fun bike.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Which hardtail?’ is closed to new replies.