Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Which Hair Clippers?
  • ransos
    Free Member

Finally took the plunge. Spent £11 on a set of Wahl clippers from Argos. Mrs R did the deed – number 6 on top and a number 3 round the back and sides. It won’t win any prizes but certainly survives a zoom call.

BillMC

I was tickled by some wag’s comment about the ‘Prince of Wahls’ so I got one, corded. Going for a number one takes on a whole new meaning and I did read mineral oil (or presumably chopping block oil) is a good substitute lubricant. Battery seems to last very well. 20 something quid.

GrahamS

I bought the “BT7240 Braun Beard Trimmer and Hair Clipper set” back when it became apparent I wasn’t getting to a barber anytime soon and also that I no longer really had enough hair to merit the word “haircut” 😑

Good points:
    – cordless, so I can stand in the bath to shave without making a huge mess
    – has a dial to adjust length which is much easier than faffing about with different guards.
    – has a smaller detail head that’s good for pesky bits right under nose etc
    – easy to clean: heads come off and it can be washed under the tap

chrispoffer

The Babyliss ones up the thread have been updated and are in stock at Amazon.

I’m using the updated version and they’re pretty good.

chipps

Another vote for Wahl corded ones. Bought some from a friend* 25 years ago for a tenner and haven’t been to a barbers since. Even with zero maintenance, they’re still going strong.

(* Friend had bought some clippers, given himself a ‘strong’ haircut and his wife had immediately made him sell them…)

bjhedley

Babyliss XTP cordless work for me. Bought them in first lockdown so definitely got my moneys worth. They go up to an 8 (25mm) but they also fit wahl combs, so I’ve bought a 12 (32mm) as I prefer hy hair a bit longer!

thegreatape
    Free Member

I was tickled by some wag’s comment about the ‘Prince of Wahls’ so I got one, corded. Going for a number one takes on a whole new meaning and I did read mineral oil (or presumably chopping block oil) is a good substitute lubricant. Battery seems to last very well. 20 something quid.

I bought a corded vacuum cleaner 18 months ago and the battery still hasn’t run out – remarkable technology these days.

JohnnyPanic

Blimey – they have gone up a lot! https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hair-Clipper-Philips-HC5632-13/dp/B081CYQVWG

I bought a set of these from Amazon just after Christmas. They were £55 then.
    They work well and are easy to adjust.

Wahl corded. The batteries eventually fail to hold charge, like all battery devices on the cordless ones.

At which point they just turn into corded clippers 🙂

CountZero

@Kayak23 – I bought one of those nearly a year ago, after lockdown of hairdressers and barbers meant my hair was turning into a lank, stringy mess, ‘cos I wear a hat all day at work. All the shops had been cleaned out, online wasn’t much better, and I finally tracked down one of those on ebay, only two left, and I think it came from Indonesia!
    I paid half that price, though! They get used once a week, with the 2.5mm comb on.
    I’ve also used it on my g/f’s hair, under protest, but the results were ok, to my utter surprise, she even got compliments at work from customers, asking where she’d managed to get it cut! Helps that she prefers it fairly short.
    Certainly worth every penny, saved me £70-80 in haircuts! Really should have got it cut to stubble ages ago, just trying to postpone the inevitable really – had quite a few comments about how much better I look with it shaved, not that that’s saying much, really… 🤪

thelawman

We acquired a Wahl corded clipper shortly into lockdown 1 with the need to do two spaniels looking likely. Theyve been used once on the (rather reluctant) dogs since then, and twice on me. Sitting in a kitchen chair on an old duvet cover in the middle of the kitchen floor, which makes it a piece of p1ss to pick up 90% of the trimmings and just shake it out into the wheelie bin. Just advise your assistant to wear something on their feet other than socks, or the socks quickly become more hair than cotton, which isn’t likely to be popular
    Dont ask how I know this.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Which Hair Clippers?’ is closed to new replies.