Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Which Gravity Dropper post should I buy?
  • ruscle
    Free Member

Looking at a gravity dropper seat post, going to get either 4″ or 5″ drop from America as need a 30.9 dia post, but not sure wether to get the turbo or classic and if to get the multi position model. Anyone’s experiences or wisdom on these choices (pro’s/cons) would be much appreciated. I will be fixing to a Yeti frame which has the cable routings along top tube starting just infront of the seat tube if this makes any difference?

baa
    Free Member

I’ve got the Rockshox Reverb, at first I really thought I’d wasted my money, but after two trips to Afan it’s one of the best up grades you can get. It took me some time to get use to it, at first I’d press the button & it’d drop right down, once Igot the hang of it. I found I was riding a lot faster, also I was surprised how little I needed to drop it, most of the time its just 10mm. So far I’ve had no problems, the only thing is you have to bleed it straight out of the box, you get everything you need to bleed as well & its only a 5 minute job.

bagpuss
    Free Member

I think that with the GD posts they recommend that you don’t use the extra position in the multi posts for general riding. Might be worth checking that before buying.

Junkyard
    Free Member

multi drop is useful for say a rooty or undulating sections where you dont want the seat either fully up or down – it is a useful ad on of you have it but you wont miss it much without it.
    The turbo is a lever which pulls out a pin the classic uses a magnet. Basically pick your preference . I suspect the classic may be easier to route as it goes straight down.
    Drop height depends on you tbh. I can cope with 3″ on hardtail but prefer 4″ for FS.
    If you run a mudguard/rear light you need to leave enough space for that to attach to your post. If you want 5″ you will need at least 6 .5 ” showing.
    With 4 ” you can sit and pedal poorly I suspect 5″ makes that even worse.
    EDIT:cant see why you would not use 1 ” down for long periods you have less leverage than when fully extended and more inner in the outer. I cant see why it would be more likely to break tbh. No idea what GD say though

ruscle
    Free Member

Cheers for all your comments.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

GD do say not to permanently ride/leave it in the 1″ down position.
    I have a GD with multi drop (ie. 1″ and fully down) and it adds a whole load of useability. I used to ride a joplin and liked the “inifinite” adjustment and got the GD when I got a 27.2 frame. I thought I’d miss the “infinite” choice but I tended to use the joplin at about 1″ for techy/rolling stuff and fully down just for steep stuff, so I use the intermediate step more often.

I think both multi position and remote lever add a whole load of useability (and its an upgrade based on its use enhancing your riding). I have 4″ drop and its plenty for me, the seat is low enough to be out of the way even for “ooh sh….” stuff.

Northwind

The multi-drop is done by having a big hole in the tube. So, if you decide you want extra settings, you can just add holes. Personally I tried mine multi-drop but never really used it. My KS is infinately adjustable but is almost always at one end or the other too

Munqe-chick – Member

GD do say not to permanently ride/leave it in the 1″ down position.

Though that’d be daft anyway o’course.

Stu661
    Free Member

I have a 30.9 post with a 5″ drop and a 2″ drop I also got the post direct from GD, I find I use the 2″ drop more than I thought I would, it comes into it’s own on flowing singletrack.

The 30.9 posts have a larger diameter inner shaft so I don’t think you would need to worry about the second hole being a weak point. I also couldn’t decide on the turbo or the classic but in the end went for the turbo and it is faster than the classic you no longer need to bump the saddle to get the post move, but be warmed you need to make sure you have your family jewels out of the way cause the post comes up at a fair rate of knots.

ruscle
    Free Member

Cheers Stu, how much did it cost you in the end to get it fromGD, did you get stung on the import tax?

steveh

When I snapped the inner post on mine in two it was at the middle hole and was the first time it had been used. It was repaired under warranty but they basically said, yeah you can’t use that one they break.

ruscle
    Free Member

I think I will just get the normal 2 position 1 then!

Stu661
    Free Member

Ruscle, I did have to pay import duty but it was still cheaper than getting one in the uk and I don’t think you can get 30.9 one’s here yet. I think the problem is they use the US postal service who in turn use parcel force in the UK to delivery so you get a slip from them tell telling you to go online and pay the tax before they will deliver it.

I wouldn’t worry about snapping the inner post as the 30.9 one’s us a larger diameter post than the 27.2 and the also have 3 guide blocks not the standard 2.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Which Gravity Dropper post should I buy?’ is closed to new replies.