Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Which graphic novels should be made into a film?
  • willard

Following on from the Dredd thread (http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/dredd-any-good)…

I like graphic novels. I used to like them a lot, but I got a little older and stopped buying them. Anyway, I’ve seen good, not so good and bad adaptations of comics and graphic novels (and appalling, like both “Punisher” films). Are there any graphic novels that the STW massif would like to see [well] adapted into a film?

Personally, I’d like to see Preacher turned into a series of films. I just hope that anyone who takes it on sticks true to the book and allows the hero to smoke, fornicate, drink and swear. Just like any vicar from the deep south should.

clubber
    Free Member

Sláine from 2000AD would be awesome

flyingmonkeycorps

Preacher has been a will they / won’t they for an HBO series for years now, I can’t remember where it’s at at the moment. I think it would suit a series better than a film though, it’s too dense and episodic to work in short movie format.

I can’t think of much I’d like to see at the moment… Most of the comic stuff I love is so deeply ingrained in the medium that it wouldn’t really translate well to the screen. Just look at Watchmen / From Hell.

I’m quite looking forward to the next Sin City though, that should be quite fun.

kimbers

Y the last man as a decent tv series

Gunz
    Free Member

ABC Warriors
    Sandman
    Rogue Trooper
    The Last Man on Earth

clubber
    Free Member

A good Rogue Trooper would be great actually.

philconsequence
    Free Member

desperate dan

midlifecrashes

Baby Face Finlayson

totalshell

Rogue Trooper.. easy done on a budget.. good moral tale.. plenty of violence.. sc fi.. all male cast.. I dont remember a female character in any episode.. ( i stand corrected.. in a period when i was obviously AWOL he found a girl friend.. Venus Bluegenes..)

flyingmonkeycorps

Actually Y the Last Man probably would work pretty well, good shout.

willard

There was a female trooper in one of the stories… It was a Rogue Trooper hallucination scene though involving Gunnar and Bagman getting a little annoyed that Rogue was alway saving them from trouble, and ends up with a lot of Norts getting shot, so well worthy of a film.

footflaps

The Ballad of Halo Jones…..

CountZero

The Weasel Patrol. ‘Run away!’

zilog6128

None of them. Ever. But if they must a proper TMNT film would be awesome.

deluded
    Free Member

‘The Dark Tower’ by Stephen King.

DaRC_L

X-Men ‘The Age of Apocalypse’ story arc…

basically alternate universe where it all goes gruesomely Dystopian, killing fields style.

flyingmonkeycorps

I really enjoyed the CGI TMNT film a while back :oops:. They’re doing a new one, except they’ve changed them to aliens so it’s just called Ninja Turtles. Seriously 🙁

Creg

Durham Red

kimbers

kimbers

oohh me likey durham red too

pvtgodfrey
    Free Member

Nikolai Dante would make an interesting few TV seasons. I’ve just finished re-reading every story and the various arc’s of the story could each be written into 10-12 decent episodes

wilko1999
    Free Member

Oooh Judgement On Gotham – would love to see that made into a film

Another vote for ABC Warriors and Hammerstein

Kevevs
    Free Member

Cages
    Maus

B_Leach
    Free Member

I would chuffing love Fables to get the big screen treatment. Oh, that and Transmetropolitan. Bowel Disruptors AHOY!!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

There was a female trooper in one of the stories.

venus bluegenes?

anyway i’ve always thought strontium dog could be a brilliant film, the one about his father abd the mutant wars, that or getting together with sternhammer, sternhammer getting killed then johnny’s revenge.
    or anything with durham red
    and

..also garp trucking company, guest starring dr and quinch

TooTall
    Free Member

The Dark Knight Returns – if they actually bothered to make it true to the graphic novel, it could be wonderful.

Nemesis the Warlock has a lot of potential in CGI

anonymouse
    Free Member

Button Man.

mechmonkey
    Free Member

Sandman by Neil Gaiman

flyingmonkeycorps

Sandman? Really? That was one of the ones I was thinking should really be left as a graphic novel, as I really can’t imagine it working in any other format.

bokonon
    Free Member

Given they are two different media, the important bit is how well the transition is done – a really good story in a graphic novel may well end up mangled on screen due to trying to hard to make it like the graphic novel or straying to far from the graphic novel or just being badly done…I’d like to see more good films, if they are based on graphic novels then so be it…

zbonty

A few 80s 2000ad fans here then?

Having not read much GN action for ages I read some Alan Moore Swamp Thing only yesterday.
    That could work well.

A DC series called 100 Bullets would be very watchable.

willard

I’d like to see Hard Boiled put in a film, but the action are so completely over the top for gore, guns, etc that it would be a nightmare for any director. It would still be awesome though.

Or, failing that, get the Martha Washington series in a film. That would work really well in today’s cinema with the right female lead.

zbonty

What bokonon said. As proven by the Watchmen adaptation. Yuck!

TPTcruiser

Powers
    +1 Ace Trucking
    Global Frequency got the transfer! But …

freddyg
    Free Member

+1 for ABC Warriors – although one of them did appear in the first (bloody awful) Dredd film

wilko1999
    Free Member

ABC Warrior the stand-out performance in the dire Dredd / Stallone film

piemann
    Free Member

Transmetropolitan would make a good series I think.

freddyg
    Free Member

wilko1999 – Member

Yup!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Mean Machine Angel a close second though

mechmonkey
    Free Member

Sandman? Really? That was one of the ones I was thinking should really be left as a graphic novel, as I really can’t imagine it working in any other format.

Is the only graphic novel series that I have really enjoyed tbh. It is perfectly suited to the graphic novel format though and perhaps it wouldn’t have the same impact as a film. As mentioned above would depend entirely on how it was translated to film.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Which graphic novels should be made into a film?’ is closed to new replies.