Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Which GPS/excercise recording application for Android?
  • jojoA1
    Free Member

I’ve got Endomondo, but I find it’s always skipping bits of my rides/runs, so have ended up not really using it. I’d like to find an app that will record my runs/rides and that I can also plot/plan routes on a map beforehand to get feedback on distance and route profile.
    Any suggestions?
    Ta

juan
    Free Member

Sport tracker… However not sure you can export/share with friends.

Planning your training for next year trans provence 😉

the_lecht_rocks

endomondo dropped out on my android des hd too….. ❓

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    geoffj

Is it the app of the GPS which is dropping out? Hard to know without a comparator I know. For how much they cost, I’d be looking at a cheap Garmin device of some sort – unless you want the real time ‘im concussed in a ditch, come and get me feature’ 🙂

jam-bo

Mapmyride works pretty well and the website picks out and classifies climbs.

Neil-F
    Free Member

I use Runkeeper, which is much more reliable at keeping the GPS signal than Endomondo in my experience. It doesn’t allow pre-programming of routes though, I don’t think.

weirdnumber
    Free Member

Google MyTracks (its free) will record routes and allow you to export them as well. You can’t preplan routes from what I can see.
    As for losing GPS signal, that’s more down to the nature of GPS rather than the app, GPS works poorly in very steep valleys or heavily wooded areas since it needs line of sight. Most modern GPS devices use flashy prediction and calculation methods in cities to deal with the city canyon effect. Unfortunately road snapping and prediction doesn’t apply where there are no roads so there can be minor inaccuracies when in the wilds.

jojoA1
    Free Member

I did use My Tracks for a while and found it reliable at keeping… er… track, but the features of Endomondo drew me to using that and in the same areas, it’s done huge amounts of straightlining and often at the start of a ride/run it takes so long to find a connection that I lose patience after about 5 mins and just set off. It seems to pick up after about the first 20 mins, but then still drops out/straightlines in chunks of the route.

weirdnumber
    Free Member

Hmm interesting, does it not have options for update interval or update distance? Perhaps it is sleeping the GPS for some reason.
    A lot of sites say its great, I have never used it though. Like you I am after something I can plot routes on before hand as well as track stuff.

Mr-Tango
    Free Member

I use Allsport GPS o a Galaxy Ace.

Works well, you get lots of useless stats but the logging is very good.

weirdnumber
    Free Member

Playing around with google maps I can see that you can convert a .gpx file to a .kml using http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input and then import that into My Maps on Google Maps. Navigating using Google Maps kind of sucks though.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Which GPS/excercise recording application for Android?’ is closed to new replies.