Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Which GPS?
  • moose2008
    Free Member

This has probably been asked a few times but everyones needs are different.
    I usually look on google earth whilst holding an OS map to plan my routes and try to get my bearings before setting off, I still get lost though and can’t figure where I’ve gone wrong until I get back to the computer with an OS map.
    I’d want a gps to plot my off road rides before leaving so that if I deviated from my planned route I would know and could redirect myself. I’m not really interested in any other features other than navigation.
    Which gps would be best, do any come with OS 1-25000 as a package?

DavidB
    Free Member

For value for money I don’t think you can go wrong with the Garmin 605 and Open Street Map downloaded onto it.

OSM does not have the detail of 1:25k OS mapping, but it will when you and others have updated it on your return 😉

moose2008
    Free Member

I’ve seen a Memory map 2800 that comes with full UK 1:50k OS maps built in, does anybody have any experience with this unit?
    Garmin appear to do a similar package, the Dakota 20 MTB pack, any one?.
    Everyone seems to talk about the garmin edge but it seems to have loads of features that I don’t need, which is best just for pure route planning, recording and following?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

satmap, which come bundled with 1:50k I think now.

You can then buy a custom located 1:25k OS map for it if needed, as a 1:25k for the UK is something like £1200!

I have often plotted out a route on it using the joystick on the unit and the screen is reasonably large for this, although larger would be better.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Which GPS?’ is closed to new replies.