Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Which Garmin & Which Maps?
  • notmyrealname
    Free Member

After the maps on my Garmin died and some unsuccessful attempts to resuscitate them I’ve decided that it’s pribably time for a new Garmin.
    I’m currently using the Edge 800 and I’m undecided between the Edge 810 or Edge 1000. At the same time I’m
    Unsure about mapping. I’ve been using the OS mapping in the past and its bwen pretty good but is there anything better?
    I use the maps for road riding and following downloaded GPX routes off-road.

Any suggestions for the best combination to use?

rickmeister

Have a look at openmtb, downloadable Garmin Compatable maps including contours. They cover the world so perfect for trips and holidays…

njee20
    Free Member

Edge 1000 with the stock OSM maps. I’ve got the OS ones, but they’re not as good IMO.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Is the 1000 much better than the 800 or 810?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Njee is correct.

pete68
    Free Member

Wife’s got an 810 with osm maps. Bought the unit without any mapping and got an so card off eBay loaded with western Europe maps. Works really well and a lot cheaper than the 1000.

njee20
    Free Member

Is the 1000 much better than the 800 or 810?

Its a significantly bigger screen, with better resolution. It has a few unique features, although subsequent software updates are trickling those down to the 810/510.

I had a 705 before and personally didn’t bother looking at the 810, the 1000 wasnt that much more expensive. A couple of friends who’ve come from the 800 are happy.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Still don’t think upgrading to the 1000 or 810 is worth it if the op’s 800 isn’t actually broken.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

just get a new micro sd card cheaper than a new gps surely? New SD card all thats needed and slap it in.

njee20
    Free Member

I was assuming that rational logic wasn’t part of the OP’s buying process!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

The 800 won’t let you do rides over 320km – I’d use that as rational

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Which Garmin & Which Maps?’ is closed to new replies.