Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Which Garmin or similar to buy?
  • lunge

Morning all,

I’ve decided I would like a Garmin for my birthday and am not sure of the merits of the various models. I would like one that does the usual time/duration/top speed/average speed but would allow me to upload routes into Strava and also plan routes and, in effect, give directions. If it could also be linked to a HRM and monitor cadence as well that would be good if not essential. It would be mostly used on the road with the odd exception.

Thanks for your help.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i like my edge 200.

it’s got all the usual computer stuff + simple route following – you plan course in garmin connect* and then upload it to your ‘device’ which then shows you a black line on the screen for you to follow – a bit like playing snake, with accurately displayed corners/wiggly bits.

(you can get proper sat-nav style navigation, but it’s not cheap…)

the edge 500 does HRM + cadence and stuff too, i think it’s got a barometric altimeter? – so the heights are a bit more accurate. And it’s got a wheel-sensor so you can still see your speed when you’re under trees, in a tunnel, etc.

(*Garmin connect is the worst website ever, but simple, reliable alternatives do exist)

mrblobby
    Free Member

Edge 810. I’ve got one and use it for exactly what you describe. It really is very good. You may be able to pick up a cheaper older 800 too.

Edit: for route following I’ve uploaded the free open streetmap maps and they work very well, much better than trying to follow a wiggly line on my old 500. You can even get sat nav like directions and routing though that can get annoying and I’m happier just to follow a line on the map. You can also customise the data field in the map view which I couldn’t do on the old 500 so you can actually have some useful info displayed!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You need the 500 or above for the HRM, the missus has that and it works fine, I have the 805 and I like the extra bits like the maps, I use the speed cadence for Turbo workouts with an ANT+ Stick linked to trainerroad.com. I have a different profile for each bike set-up and screens for different things. Great bit of kit.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

If you just want a basic route guide then the 500/510 but if you want a proper map on the screen then 800/810.

Pays yer money.

mrblobby
    Free Member

If you just want a basic route guide then the 500/510 but if you want a proper map on the screen then 800/810.

Having had the 500 without the maps, i now find having a proper map is so much better and well worth the extra cash. Just makes the route a lot easier to follow. I just map out a route using bikehike.co.uk, upload it to the 810, then just follow that.

grahamg
    Free Member

Mostly road is probably best going for an edge – get a discount 800 instead of an 810 to save cash (see handtec.co.uk they’re generally the cheapest option). If you aren’t so fussed about HRM & cadence and might use it for touring/audaxing etc. then don’t overlook the new etrex models – much cheaper, still with all the necessary mapping/routing capabilities but takes AA batteries.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Edge Touring Plus sounds to me like the right option for the OP.

ali69er
    Free Member

On the 500 does anyone know how to get the HR on the display? I can’t seem to find it.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Do you mean on the route view? If so then it’s not possible as the fields can’t be configured.

turboferret
    CraigW
    Free Member

Edge Touring Plus sounds to me like the right option for the OP.

But it doesn’t support cadence. Other than that, it looks pretty good for the price.

jekkyl

I was thinking of one of the garmin watches for crimbo, they start at 80 quid which is reasonable for a pressie from the wife. Do they record your heart rate without any strap on your chest and any recommendations?

legend
    Free Member

Nah Forerunners still use the same chest strap

antigee

not quite a hijack since did say similar – anyone got any experience Magellan / MIO – recent press release in Aus says will have cycle specific mapping as well as if you go for top model cadence etc
    the press release links back to http://youtu.be/l6LBU2kxFAw

which isn’t spam its the MIO which its says is the Euro version and a bloke doing a demo video ??

theflatboy
    Free Member

Craig – true no cadence, HRM though. OP suggested one or both would be good but not essential. I still reckon it’s the one to go for…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Which Garmin or similar to buy?’ is closed to new replies.