Which garmin?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Which garmin?
  • sam1988

I have very limited knowledge of these things but been reading up on them and fancy one but with alot of models I’m stuck at what’s best for me. I came up with the edge 520 plus? Will be used mainly off road, Basically somthing with off road mapping, linked to strava, be able to link to trailfork, download and follow gpx maps if new riding routes and follow them

DickBarton

Are you really going to use the mapping whilst out? If not, save some cash and don’t go for that…

If you want it to retrace steps then you don’t need mapping as the device traces a route.

Premier Icon kayak23
    Subscriber

Which garmin?

Wahoo Elemnt Bolt.
    Dead simple interface, easy to follow breadcrumb trails, syncs to Strava, uses GPX files. I like mine.

sam1988

The main thing I’ll use is being able to download files of off peiste routes and follow them.

Premier Icon kayak23
    Subscriber

The main thing I’ll use is being able to download files of off peiste routes and follow them

I do exactly that for my Wahoo. Sometimes when a file is not downloadable as a gpx (I’m not a Strava premium user), I will open the Strava route in one tab on my laptop, and Gpsies in another, and use Gpsies to plot the route copying points of deviation and then download that as a gpx and email it to myself, open it on my phone, import into the Wahoo app, sync and job jobbed.

Of course, on the ground, things look quite different, but it gives you the best clue which way you’re heading and sooooo much easier than getting a massive OS map out every time.

Premier Icon lunge
    Subscriber

I’ve gotta 520 and like it a lot. It’s nothing spectacular but it works well.

Picto

Have a 520 too. It has been very reliable. Probably not great at mapping.

Recently acquired a Garmin explore. Seems pretty good. Much bigger screen which is great with my eyes. Uploads to strava. Easy to import gpx routes from Garmin connect. Only used it for mapping on road in Italy and it was ok. Directions were ok out of town but a little slow when passing through towns.

stumpy_m4

Which garmin?

AS above , Wahoo Elemnt, bolt or roam , either version , far more reliable than a garmin especially after the last update ! ….. they just work 🙂 …
    I have both garmin and wahoos and the wahoo is the choice every time

whitestone

I’ve a 520 (not the plus) and an Oregon.

If by “follow” you mean getting turn by turn instructions then the 520 will do that but whether you actually get the instructions in the first place will depend on the data embedded in the map that was used to create the route. If that data isn’t there then no unit can give you turn by turn. If you want a line on a map then the 520 will do that for any GPX route.

Uploads to Strava depend on you linking Garmin Connect and Strava together. The 520 will connect to your mobile via bluetooth and if you’ve the Garmin app on your phone will then upload your ride to Connect and then to Strava.

I’ve not downloaded routes to the device by bluetooth mainly because I’ll charge it by plugging it into my desktop so just drag and drop the files over at that time.

The Oregon is a bigger unit and has a much bigger screen. It’s a general device rather than biking specific. Runs off AA batteries which you can recharge in the unit. Takes an SD card so you can load lots of maps: I’ve the UK, Finland, Iceland and France loaded on mine at the moment plus 1:50,000 OS maps of the UK.

Premier Icon rhyswilliams3
    Subscriber

Following this with interest, i’m also looking for something bike computer-y for the same reasons, i’d like to be able to download a map from a friend or a website and be able to follow it whilst out on the mtb without getting the map and instructions out the bag. I’m not too fussed on data and stats as i don’t use them anyway, but the navigation is a must.

I’ve toyed with the 530 but i can’t justify the price for what it is, happy to look second hand market though

ivantate

I went with a 130 as I like the simple display and small size.
    It’s has done everything I expected. A little compromised for screen size if you want to connect lights or track tons of performance data.

Plus
    Buttons are good for when it’s wet or using while moving. Display has always been clear.
    Never really had any software or connection issues.

Minus
    Battery indicator appears to do what it wants(although did do most of a day while navigating so total batt life is good), the mapping is tough to follow with a number of roads or turns in the same area as it only shows the one to take.

Fully bought into garmin now with a watch and scale.
    Lots of people on the last big team ride I did were using wahoo. If you can get full maps and keep buttons for control At a good price it’s probably a good thing.

@whitestone..you mentioned the Oregon in a thread of mine recently.

Do you have it mounted to your handlebars?

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Best for mapping and cheap is Edge Explore. Mine’s been great so far. Integrates with Trailforks on the go, but I use Strava route planner (which can reference the heatmap) and I can access them from the Garmin directly. It’s ace.

Oh and it’s a capacitive touch screen which means it works in the wet or with gloves on.

whitestone

@whitestone..you mentioned the Oregon in a thread of mine recently.

Do you have it mounted to your handlebars?

Yes. Garmin do a bike mount for the Dakota/Oregon/Montana series. It’s not as good as the Edge type mounts – I’ve found that you need to wrap a bit of old inner tube around the bars before mounting it using the supplied zip ties. With the units being much heavier than the Edge series and not quite as well balanced, the batteries cause the unit to swivel if you don’t really tighten things down.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

I’ve got the 520. I’ve still never once used the map on it.

damascus

Based on my experience my next Garmin would be a wahoo. I’ve had a 200, 300, 500, 705 and currently use a 810 and been a long time fan of Garmin but wahoo have caught up recently.

Battery life let’s the garmin down. Wahoos seem to last 40% longer than Garmins which has caused me a few issues on longer rides or multi day rides. It’s a pain to stop and connect a cache battery to it.

sam1988

Thanks for the replies. I’ve been looking into the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt from recommendations on here.
    Can someone please give me some more info on how the offroad maps/navigation works as I’m completely new to these and no idea what to expect.

If I was to load a gpx file to it how would it work? I guessing off road isn’t going to be turn by turn nav? A map and a marker denoting your posiob that map?

damascus

My Garmin has a line I follow. When I go off course it beeps at me. Its difficult to go wrong.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.