Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Which fun, poppy, hardtail. Not Long and low.
  • mattslegg
    Free Member

Im looking for a hardtail that is fun to ride. Something that will manual and jump easily but also do a bit of xc and down hill. Basically an all rounder. Big ask I know. Im not looking for a long bike, slack bike with a super low BB.
    Id love a Stif Morf but cant find one for sale and would love a Stanton Switchback but they are just too expensive. Does anyone have any ideas of similar bikes?

Thanks

qwerty
    Free Member

I’ve something that I’m about to sell as a rolling chassis of: frame, fork & wheels that’s very similar to a Morf.

What size are you? Mines a 15.5″ frame, 27.5″ wheels, 605mm ETT, 74 STA, 425mm stays, around 430mm reach I think with a 120mm fork.

DM if your interested.

desperatebicycle

There’s a Morf on Pinkbike (L)

jimmy748

I’ve got an Airdrop Bitmap, which is pretty much what you describe.

misteralz
    Free Member

I built a Ragley Piglet recently and it is exactly as you describe. Utter hooligan of a bike. I LOVE it.

sharkattack

Charge Blender.

Actually no, that’s a horrible idea.

joebristol

I’d look at something like a Vitus Sentier or Nukeproof Scout I think I’m that middle ground. Sounds like the fancier steel bikes are out of range and the Vitus is exactly what you described. I really liked mine before splashing out on a custom Marino. The Vitus was a couple of lbs lighter and faster uphill – but the Marino is quicker downhill / on more tech stuff. I used the Sentier geometry as a base and made it a bit more of everything without going crazy – longer reach / slacker head tube / steeper seat tube / shorter seat tube for a longer dropper – but went for the same bb drop and chainstay length.

A mate had the Scout 290 and always seemed to be having a riot on it.

Maybe Ragley might have something similar too – they seem to be popular at the moment. Also the Sonder Transmitter / Signal might be worth a look depending on your wheelsize preference.

mattslegg
    Free Member

I had a go on my friends brand new Sentier this weekend and while its a great spec bike I didnt find it poppy enough compared to my 26″ Genesis which im guessing is down to the low bb.
    Does anyone make a bike with a higher bb anymore?

nt80085

I’m about to advertise a large Kingdom Vendetta titanium framed complete bike currently running 650b with 150mm Dt swiss forks.can also run as 29er with different forks.

tomhoward

Dawley bikes.

Or Marino, if you ask him.

joebristol

If you didn’t think the Vitus was poppy I’m not sure many modern bikes are going to feel that way for you tbh. I found the 27.5” Sentier with a 140mm fork just wanted to manual / pop off stuff and was amazing to rip round corners.

Perhaps it’s context – I was riding an Aeris 145LT at the time whereas you are riding an old geometry 26” wheel bike.

If you want more lively then that’s going to be an interesting one – the Vitus has very short chainstays and a reasonably conservative reach vs a lot of the new longer / slacker stuff. If you want shorter travel / livelier geometry then you’re going more xc – but most of those are 29er which might be even more alien vs your 26er.

sillyoldman

Look for a second hand Stanton? They’re short and tall relatively speaking. Not my cup of tea st all, but sounds like it should tick the boxes for you.

superstu
    Free Member

Specialized fuse is pretty safe but a pretty fun bike when I last tried one? Not massively LLS and can be built up quite a few ways

hardtailonly

I had an OnOne 45650b (I’ve had two, over the years, actually) which I thought was poppy and playful, but also capable, and modern ish geo without being too silly.

My current HT, a Ragley BigWig, also fits that bill, more LLS for sure, but not crazy so.

DrP

Chromag rootdown… 29er… poppy.. like a mountain bike bmx….

I just so happen to have a large frame up for sale if you’re interested?

DrP

sillyoldman

Root down would be perfect.

welshfarmer

I have an “as-new” On One Deedar frame, size Large, in the classifieds which sits bang there in the middle of all those frames you have listed already. I was about to rebuild it to a complete bike since there has been no interest in the frame only.

Frame details here:

https://bikeinsights.com/bikes/5d41dc145ca18100173fb42e-on-one-deedar?build=base&version=2016

p7eaven
    Free Member
    riklegge

I’m selling a mk1 switchback if you’re interested.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Alu Eccentric

Use 26 inch wheels and you’ve got yourself a nice playful bike with good geometry that works across the board!

jameso

I didnt find it poppy enough compared to my 26″ Genesis which im guessing is down to the low bb.

Probably more related to how short (front and back) the 26″ Genesis will be compared to anything recent, and a relatively slack seat tube so it’ll wheelie from the saddle really easily. If you’re looking for something with that much rearward weight bias maybe try a DJ / 4X type of frame in a large size?

al2000

Switchback ticks all the boxes – should be able to find a used frame / bike easily enough.

chiefgrooveguru

“ Probably more related to how short (front and back) the 26″ Genesis will be compared to anything recent, and a relatively slack seat tube so it’ll wheelie from the saddle really easily”

Indeed. And to add to that, high handlebars tend to make a bike more fun in that way, partly from your body position, partly from the leverage when you want to lift the front.

jree
    Free Member

I’ve just built up an mmmbop and I absolutely love it for exactly those reasons. So much fun to ride. Agile, light, easy to jump, geo means it’s confidence inspiring.

joebristol

I’ve just built up an mmmbop and I absolutely love it for exactly those reasons. So much fun to ride. Agile, light, easy to jump, geo means it’s confidence inspiring.

The Mmmbop is quite similar to the Sentier comparing medium sizes. Same stack / chainstays / wheelsize / bb drop.

But slacker head angle / longer fork / marginally longer reach. It sounds like a good hardtail to me – but it’s not going to be any poppier than the Sentier.

I reckon the op needs to look for a few years old hardtail with older geometry to get what they want.

mattslegg
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I think what I probably need is to cough up and pay for the Switchback as its basically what im looking for.

I looked at my 26″ hardtail today to work out what I love about it and I think the fact it has a level bb with no drop, short chainstays and a light front with 68 head angle make it feel really easy to manual which I love.

brassneck

Probs a bit slack for you but a BFe is what I think of when I think ‘fun’

joebristol

@mattslegg

If you’re talking about the current Switchback it’s got the same bb drop / a longer reach than the Sentier you said isn’t poppy enough.

Also got a lower stack size for size and slacker head angle.

The only thing likely to result in it feeling more poppy is a 10mm shorter chainstay.

Chances are it’s even less poppy as it’ll be heavier as either 4130 or 631 steel vs the lighter alloy frame.

If you want a posh stanton that’s obviously fine and they’re lovely things – the paint jobs especially are great.

mattslegg
    Free Member

Maybe an early Trek Stache would suit me.

Stevet1
    Free Member

If you just need a new frame and don’t need to change wheelsize then keep an eye out for an early 831 stanton slackline in 26″ flavour, you might pick up a bargain.
    Or if going 27.5, mk1 switchbacks have a shorter reach, and maybe a higher BB as well because they weren’t designed for 27.5+ tyres which the later ones had a nod towards.

TheGhost
    Free Member

My RSD Middlechild has a 415mm chainstay and a 40mm bottom bracket drop. It’s super poppy.

hardtail5
    Free Member

I know exactly what you’re describing. I went from a 26″ old school XC frame to a modern 27.5 Scout. The overall length and head angle make it feel much less nimble in comparison.

droplinked

I’m biased as I have a switchback but sounds like it would be perfect.

I’ve used mine for everything, local woods blasts, pump track, practicing jumps, xc rides, trail centres, big days out.

mattslegg
    Free Member

TheGhost, that looks perfect but cant find anyone selling them in UK?

TheGhost
    Free Member

I bought mine direct and paid the import duty.

BillOddie

Chromag rootdown… 29er… poppy.. like a mountain bike bmx….

I just so happen to have a large frame up for sale if you’re interested?

DrP

Buy his Rootdown, I have a Mk1 Rootdown that I can’t part with as it is exactly as described “MTBMX” and what you want if it’s the right size for you.

chakaping
    Free Member

Maybe an early Trek Stache would suit me.

I had one (my first 29er) and it was a great bike for general trail riding and a bit of XC racing.

Not sure I’d call it “poppy”, but I probably wouldn’t apply that word to any hardtail.

There’s a case for an aluminium frame being more sprightly than steel, but you better make sure you try before you buy anyway IMO.

stingmered

Recently taken charge of a Sonder Transmitter. Claims to be LLS, but by today’s standards I wouldn’t say it is. However, it is bloody brilliant! Moving back to 27.5 from the big-bike’s 29″ has been a bit of a revelation. I’d say the hard tail is poppier/ more playful than the enduro machine. Not as outright fast (obviously) but I don’t think that’s what you are looking for. Even managed to get it manualed for a few meters on the 2nd outing! I’d happily take it down anything steep/techy, ribbony singletrack, or big all day XC. Does it all.

steve_b77
    Free Member

What about those Pinnacle frames Evans are clearing out

mattslegg
    Free Member

Sonder Transmitter looks perfect apart from that ridiculously long seat tube. Almost perfect!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Which fun, poppy, hardtail. Not Long and low.’ is closed to new replies.