Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Which fun HT?
  • ready

Looking for a hardtail that I can share with my part time rider of a son. Needs to be very jump-able (for him) and a blast for some local XCish trails for me. Absolute max budget of £1500. Not 29er

I’m currently looking at…

Orange Crush Comp
    Clockwork Evo Comp
    Sonder Transmitter

Anything else I should consider?

ready

Thanks, but I wouldn’t want to ride a DJ bike! I might get some ideas above my station…

mtbsammy
    Free Member

https://whyte.bike/products/901

Killer geometry on these

sharkattack

Definitely consider a new shape Bfe.

Maybe a Slackline but they’re more expensive.

kayak23

Production Privee Shan or Oka. The best hardtail frames ever made according to me.

My Oka is used for everything.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

San Quentin 3. Because could this be you at 4min30?

mattinyorkshire
    Free Member

Bird Zero AM

joebristol

Most of the bikes mentioned would be ok – although I’d probably steer away from any thing crazy slack otherwise your xc will be boring.

The Orange Clockwork Evo has always looked good to me and I almost bought the Clockwork 137 but went for a bargain Vitus Sentier instead (frame in a sale and I built it up with my own bits). The Sentier is pretty good too actually, but if it’s going to get jumped a lot I’d go with a manufacturer who have a good warranty process (not Vitus from what I read).

ready

Thanks for the replies. Those Birds are really nice, just a bit out of my budget unfortunately. I’ll have a closer look at the Whyte and Marin, but currently leaning towards the Clockwork I think!

wl
    Free Member

Massively fond of my Orange P7 650b which gets used for everything (except jumps). It’s fast, versatile and ridiculously good fun to ride. Great in all weather/trail conditions and never misses a beat despite three years of hard, year-round use in the Pennines. Probably a bit more comfy than the Crush, a bit more aggro than the Clockwork. Mate of mine just bought a nearly new 2018 P7 for £850 on ebay or some such site. A right bargain.

Kryton57

Massively fond of my Orange P7 650b

I’m trying to decide between the 29er or the the 650b for a South East forest single track winter / fun bike…. yet I can’t!

wl
    Free Member

29er P7 wasn’t out when I bought mine but I’d probably still stick with 650 if there was a choice. Think mine weighs in a couple of pounds lighter than the 29er and I prefer the smaller wheel size for where and what I ride – tight, steep tech stuff, twisty singletrack and rocky moorland trails. Less keen on the steam roller effect of the big wheels, though I appreciate some like it. Smaller (lighter) wheels help with the P7s nippiness too – it accelerates fast, which is good on short, twisty, stop-and-start descents and traverses, I think. Sure the 29er version is good too, just not for me (for my other bike I also demoed a Stage 5 and ended up buying a regular Five for the same reason – both great, just different).

ready

Excuse my ignorance, but what real world differences would I notice between a P7 and a Clockwork Evo?

jree
    Free Member

Loads of Cotic Souls on FB marketplace well under your budget.

wl
    Free Member

I’d need to double-check but isn’t the Clockwork a bit less ‘aggro’ or whatever you want to call it in terms of geometry? P7 is slacker I think, and possibly longer and lower too. P7 is steel as well. Clockwork might not have quite the spring/comfort a P7 does (though this is probably marginal, to be honest).

joebristol

When I was looking at the Clockwork 137 (which the Evo replaces) it was usefully modern with reasonable reach / a slack ish head angle / short chainstays.

The P7 was longer / slacker plus steel – so more expensive but probably heavier. I guess it depends what you want as to which is better.

ready

How do Orange bikes size up? I’m 6’1, and think I’m about to buy the XL 2019 Clockwork S. Wise move or big mistake??

5lab

dartmoor have a few bikes that’d suit

scuttler

Orange Riders group on Facebook has a lot of info on buying / sizing and also lots of barely ridden For Sale bikes (usual range of excuses) so have a look on there.

wl
    Free Member

I’m 5′ 10″ and only ever ride Orange mediums, tho I could probably ride a large too. I just prefer the smaller frames, and for me reaches and wheelbases are long enough now anyway, without sizing up. Not very on-trend but it works for me.

tdog
    Free Member

How bout Ragleys offerings?

ready

I hadn’t thought of the Ragleys, thanks tdog. How do they size up? I see the XL is only a 19″ frame

richardkennerley

I looked at dialled bikes last night, it seems you can get an alpine frame with shipping from US for $450. Not sure what that is in £ but seems relatively cheap. Suppose you might need some other bits as well though, like wheels. And a saddle maybe. Some gears perhaps.

lewis75
    Free Member

Nukeproof Scout is worth adding to that list. I’ve got an XL 275 Sport and it’s an absolute blast. 475 reach, 2.6 plus tyres, decent spec for the price

ash01
    Free Member

Interesting that two bikes I am comparing to buy at the mo are the nukeproof scout comp albeit 29 and the whyte 901.

Been dancing with the Orange clockwork evo too.

Hope this thread keeps going with peoples opinions………………..

Ash

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m quite tempted by a Vitus Sentier VR 27 when they come into stock shortly. At £1,100 it looks good as a second bike / winter hack.

jimmy

Loads of Cotic Souls on FB marketplace well under your budget.

Yes. This. I’ve been through a lot of hardtails and the Soul has been by far the longest kept with no plan to change (other than a niggling curiosity for a P7…)

It does everything from a local bumble to steep and techy stuff in the Tweed Valley. Raced Fair City Enduro on it at the weekend. Choose forks to match your levels of Gnarr (I have 130mm for neutral do everything feel, I did have 150mm when using it for the steeps).

Akers

I’d have a look at a Cotic Bfe too (edit: as SharkAttack mentioned earlier). Would need to custom build with a few recycled bits to squeeze under budget though, I think.

joebristol

@mindmap3

The Sentier is a great winter hack – it’s got loads of mud clearance room round the back tyre, it’s a sensible sort of weight and it accelerates well. Also reasonably slack (without being too silly) so it’s ok on steep / slippery stuff.

lawman91

Another vote for a Soul or BFe, so nice to ride and the geometry is pretty bang on. Got my Soul frame on 0% finance to spread the cost and then got my LBS to do the build on cycle to work, so plenty of ways to make it affordable!

Kryton57

Clockwork Evo Comp

https://www.sunsetmtb.co.uk/shop/index.php?product_id=8358&10812=51523&10814=51528&10815=51533&11420=54012

Get yourself and Evo S for £1250 – I’m very much enjoying my 2 week old version of the same.  29er also available at this price.  Its a surprisingly comfortable and confident, solid bike.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m doing it through the cycle to work scheme so it’s a no brainer.

The Vr 27 with Z2’a and entry level Eagle group set looks fine really. My little boy is starting to ride more so it’ll do a lot of that stuff too rather than riding round Hicks Lodge on my Transition with him. I like hardtails too.

I did look at a slightly more expensive Orange Crush from Sunset but the brakes were bobbins and so were the tyres. It’s a nicer looking bike though.

Kryton57

but the brakes were bobbins and so were the tyres.

Not to argue with you, but the Deore’s on my Clockwork are very, very good, better than the SRAM TL’s on my expensive bike.   And if you talk to Sunset nicely they may do you a deal on tyres perhaps…. just sayin’ 😉

ready

Thanks for that Kryton. That extra 10% has brought it in line with the Transmitter I was almost buying, but got stuck on the sizing.
    How do the Oranges size up? I’m 6’1 and looking at the XL

Kryton57

Well this is my only experience of an Orange and I’m 5’11.5 and a Large is perfect for me.   The dropper however is as low as it can be in the frame with the collar right at the frame entry so I’d guess its easy to fit a taller person.

FWIW I used Orange’s own guide to decide. https://www.orangebikes.co.uk/bikes/clockwork-evo-s/2020

I should say about the MT500 brakes (of the 2019 Clockwork Evo) the rotors mean they won’t take sintered pads, but that hasn’t affected me in the mud & slop and they are cheap – about £18 for 4 pairs.  Or, you could upgrade the rotors but I didn’t see any point at that price.

The Revelation is a humdinger of a fork also.

BadlyWiredDog

The Transmitter is bloody brilliant. If you’re not sure about sizing, drop them a line. Neil at Sonder is super helpful, knows what he’s talking about and rides like a maniac 🙂

mindmap3
    Free Member

Not to argue with you, but the Deore’s on my Clockwork are very, very good, better than the SRAM TL’s on my expensive bike. And if you talk to Sunset nicely they may do you a deal on tyres perhaps…. just sayin’ 😉

The one I was looking at had alivio brakes with the manky levers. The proper Deore brakes are great…mine were more reliable than the Zees and XTR trails I had before.

ready

Anyone got any experiences with Ragley Marley 1.0?

PJay
    Free Member

I’m not sure if the Marin Pine Mountain fits the bill, but it’s decently specced and half price @ CRC; you could have one each, ride together & still squeak in under budget!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Which fun HT?’ is closed to new replies.