Which full suspension bike?

Home Forum Bike Forum Which full suspension bike?

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 84 total)
  • Which full suspension bike?
  • lancslad

Hi guys I have a Ragley Blue Pig, and I’m looking to get a full suspension bike to have along side my Blue Pig. I ride mainly at Gisburn , Whinlatter, Lee Quarry, Grizedale but looking to go to places like Glentress, Llangdegla and Antur Stiniog also the Alps. So would like something that would cope with riding those places. Haven’t really got a budget at the moment as I just plan to save up for the bike. Would be happy to buy second hand. So any suggestions would be greatful guys.

boltonjon

So, do you think you need a good ‘do it all’ 140mm travel bike which descends and climbs well?

I’d be looking at the Lapierre Zesty – lots of different models to suit a range of budgets

I had one for 12 months and thought it was great

I reckon that i’m about to get shot down by the STW massive….

boltonjon

So, do you think you need a good ‘do it all’ 140mm travel bike which descends and climbs well?

I’d be looking at the Lapierre Zesty – lots of different models to suit a range of budgets

I had one for 12 months and thought it was great

I reckon that i’m about to get shot down by the STW massive….

banks

Transition covert

lancslad

Cheers boltonjon I have been looking at the zesty.

dan45a

I agree with boltonjon, the zesty for doing everything, I’ve had 2 in past they are great. New ones have an even more agressive geometry so would suit your list of uses above.

Lots of very good bikes out there though…

Stumpy Evo, Yeti Asr5 or SB66, SC Blur Tr….all top drawer 140-150mm forked bikes.

suppose it depends largely on your budget.

hainman

you looked at the norco’s in evans??
    or the canyons??

Me I’d be looking at a Turner I think if I was buying new again, current 3 bikes I built myself and have found that the cheapest way to get the setup you want.

Premier Icon mrhoppy
    Subscriber

Banks was half right, a Transition Bandit.

lancslad

Dan45a the little list you have made looks abit like the one I have just didn’t want to put a list on here as mine has about 20+ bikes on it

lancslad

Hainman yeh I like the canyon nerve al+ and the strive

dan45a

lancslad – Sound like you’ve got it covered. Just get out and try as many as you can and see what feels good…oh and also what looks good as that always helps 🙂

thought of any 650b or 29ers? My mate has just got a new 650b cube Stereo…it so quick up and down…
    http://www.cube.eu/en/full/allmountain/stereo-super-hpc-160-race/

lancslad

Just don’t like the look of 29ers maybe a 650b. What travel do you think 140mm – 160mm? What do people think about secondhand? I got my blue pig second hand (mint condition custom build £1600) I paid £680 for it. Just abit more concerned about a full sus second hand with all the extra parts

lancslad

I like the look of that cube dan45a

gonzy

lancslad – i’m in a similar position to you…so far my shortlist consists of commencal meta am, trek remedy, lapierre spicy, spec enduro evo….i did consider the titus el guapo…but there seems to be a major issue with bb height which hasnt been resolved so i’m steering clear of that one….choices, choices, choices…

DrP

GT LTS 5000.

DrP

EDIT; with bear trap pedals and Girvin Flex stem.

wors

When i first built my Blue pig, it felt just right. This week I have swapped everything over from my Blue pig to an Orange 5, and it feels just right. 😀

Premier Icon richmtb
    Subscriber

lancslad what size are you. I’ve got a medium Blur LT frame i’m getting rid of.

lancslad

I’m 5ft 9 mate

lancslad

Gonzy sounds just like my list, I’ve got trek remedy, lapierre spicy, zesty, spec enduro, stumpjumper fsr, canyon nerve al+ , strive, orange 5, alpine 160, yeti sb66, 575, Santa Cruz heckler, nomad, kona process, cadabra, mondraker foxy, dune that’s about it so far

Premier Icon richmtb
    Subscriber

It looks like this when its built up. Its currently in two halves as I’m replacing the frame bearings before I sell it

Premier Icon martymac
    Subscriber

the problem, as always, is that there are very few really bad bikes on the market now.
    +1 for try as many as you can, one of them will suit you better than the rest.

lancslad

Nice richmtb how much u thinking of selling it for?

muzzle

I was making a similar decision a couple of months ago. Dunno your budget, but I had 2-2.5k to spend. It was between a Zesty or Norco Sight 2 for me, until I found a reduced price 2012 Yeti ASR-5 with Enduro build, and went for that instead. It is ace.

lancslad

Looking to save up as much as possible but prob no more than £2500

gonzy

if only my budget would allow me to consider a yeti….. 😯

lancslad

Mine can’t really but if I keep saving and wait maybe it will

DrP

Actually, based on recent reviews, a slingshot bike will suit your needs…

DrP

EDIT: But with Beartraps and a girvin flex stem though….

matt1986

If you want 650b look at the norco sight killer b or the norco range killer b. also if you looking for a s/m Evans have a good deal on the BMC Trailfox TF02 2011 it’s amazing really light and cheap. It’s labeled as a small but measures up a 17″ frame. The BMC climbs better than my genesis core and is amazing on the descents.

Ecky-Thump

If you’re keeping the Blue Pig anyway, which is probably just about perfect for most of the places you listed, I’d suggest you stick with that for all the trail centres and consider going bigger than a 140 FS for Antur and the Alps.
    Patriot?

neninja

I would seriously look at the Helius CC frames that are for sale on the classifieds at the moment – steve_b77 has one for sale and there is another one – both medium I think.

A very versatile bike – adjustable rear travel – 88-129mm (this can vary according to which shock is fitted). It will happily take a 100-140mm fork.

If you like a slacker bike just drop the rear travel and it will lower the BB and slacken the head angle.

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

Looking at where you’ll ride it, and the fact you’re looking at second hand, it’s hard not to recommend checking out an Orange Five or Alpine, depending on how often it’ll really hit the big mountains.

Premier Icon richmtb
    Subscriber

Nice richmtb how much u thinking of selling it for?

I’d be happy with £350 for it.

I’ll have the frame built back up this weekend so I can send you some more up to date pics if you are interested

OP – if you’re NW based (which based on your riding areas it looks like you are), call up Leisure Lakes and get a couple of bike booked on their demo day this Sunday at Marple.

I’ve booekd a Yet sb-66c I can’t afford 😀 but they’ve got a lot of others (Santa Cruz, Scott, Specialized etc)

Premier Icon DaveRambo
    Subscriber

That’s both an impossible, or easy question to answer.

Pretty much all full sus bikes will be fine for what you want, choosing one however is bery much a personal decision that we can’t help with.

With no budget or idea of what you like in a bike it’s not possibel for anyone to recommend anything other than bikes they’ve owned/ridden.

The thing to do is to ride loads of different bikes and decide which ones you like the best.

giantx4

Trance mate… Try one

lancslad

My budget will be about £2000-£2500 I think. I was thinking of a 160mm+ travel for the alps and antur stiniog and just using my blue pig at the trail centres.

gonzy

have you tried Ride On?

boltonjon

160mm is a lot of bike to lug around when your not in the Alps

I had a week in Morzzine in the summer on a 140mm bike and could keep up with pals on 160mm bikes 95% of the time

I’d thoroughly recommend testing both before stumping up your £2.5K

lancslad

If I’m getting a 140mm full sus is there any point me keeping the blue pig.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

A 140mm or 150mm bike that can take a beefy fork could be what you need.

Perhaps a Nerve AL+, with a spare Lyrik, Fox 36 or Marz 55.

Ecky-Thump

I was thinking of a 160mm+ travel for the alps and antur stiniog and just using my blue pig at the trail centres.

That’s what I’d have thought too. 140mm FS won’t be that dissimilar in capability to what you’ve got. Try a few 160mm-180mm bikes and see what you think.
    Got any mates’ bikes that you can borrow for a day?

lancslad

I haven’t any mates with FS of 160mm+ anyone know anywhere in the nw you can hire or try out 160mm+ fs

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Which full suspension bike?’ is closed to new replies.