Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Which Front Derailler ?
  • scu98rkr
    Free Member

I have some XT 9×3 speed front shifters.

With a 2×10 Speed SRAM Crankset 28T+42T.

My XT 3 speed shifter is set up and works ok.
    However its getting old.

I would like a new front derailleur what do people think would be the best to get ?

I notice on my road bike my new SRAM rival 2×11 speed front derailler seems alot better than my MTB ones. Could I use a shimano or SRAM 11 speed derailleur ?

I have an Scandal 29er V2. I currently have a low Band bottom pull front mech. I have to have a Bottom Pull one. I have an adaptor for the new bolt on mechs. I could fit on a high band derailleur but I would have to move my pump.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

I would avoid an 11 speed front derailleur as the cage width will probably be too narrow, leading to the chain scraping against it in certain gears.

FDs have improved over the years, but most 10 speed models are as well made as 11speed.

I’m assuming you’ve got a 10 speed chain, so stick to a 10 speed FD.

I managed to get a used SRAM XX FD for peanuts on eBay last year. It provides excellent changes with my 42/28 SRAM chainset. I’d recommend finding either an XX, X0 or X9 – you might still find them in bottom-pull flavour.

While you’re at it, get a cheap SRAM 2 x 10 front shifter. Even an X7 will be good enough, and cost very little. Get rid of the old XT 😉

scu98rkr
    Free Member

cheers

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Which Front Derailler ?’ is closed to new replies.