Which freeride bike?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Which freeride bike?
  • psykx

I’ve not bought a new mtb in years and years. I’m happy with my 26 inch ht for most riding. But I’m thinking about going big.

If you where looking for a freeride bike at the end of 2019 what would you go for? What specification would make certain it had?

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

24″ rear wheel big hit with monster-T’s.

wl

Whichever Orange fits the bill best.

The freeride bike is almost dead. But Banshee make one!

Darkside

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Whichever Orange fits the bill best.

I sometimes idly consider buying one of the last Patriots again, but reckon my 170mm “super enduro” bike 29er is quicker.

Wouldn’t it be nice if they brought it back though, with 29in wheels.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Commencal Supreme SX worth a look OP?

P-Jay

That sector doesn’t really exist anymore, the Guys doing rampage are pretty much all using DH bikes, the Guys doing Crankworks are using slopestyle and DJ style short travel bikes.

If you’ve been out of the game for a bit, have a look at Enduro bikes, some of the big ones are now 170mm both ends which is about where Freeride bikes were until they went away, they’ll be slacker and lighter, but they’ll still do the rough stuff.

5lab

if you want a freeride bike for doing jumps and messing about, and you end up down the enduro bike route (as above, that’s pretty much what they’ve merged into) – I’d be warey of getting anything too long – longer and lower might be faster, but its less fun and manoverable in the air, so a bit of a compromise for bike parks. Size down to get reach you’re used to and you’ll be grand

The term freeride is pretty dead. Better to tell us what your local trails are and what you intend to ride or build up to.

There is absolutely nothing that I rode on my old ‘freeride’ bike that I wouldn’t much prefer to hit on my current every-day bike.

Premier Icon howsyourdad1
    Subscriber

if it’s for round the back of nationwide in Swindon I’d defo get an alloy Gambler

Premier Icon lightfighter762
    Subscriber

Good deals on the hanzz right now. I have ridden the black version with the fox gear and it was really fun. It is a very playful bike with crazy traction. The people I know that have them are mostly builders and they take it along to session what was just built. The one I got to try had a vyron post and the 11spd 9-46 so it climbed pretty good up Glentress and even the Golfie. Just fuel up well before haha.

I have a supreme SX and use that around the borders. Yes its not quick but it will get you up anything if your riding 3 times a week and training. The downs are epic with it. 27,5 rear and 29front and if its a long day will use a 27,5+ wheel at the front to get the HTA to 64 so its bearable to the masts around the Tweed Valley.

Just depends what your riding I guess and what you want out of it.

I’ve not bought a new mtb in years and years.

‘Which freeride bike’

Made me smile anyway 🙂

Premier Icon LAT
    Subscriber

Rocky Mountain Slayer. It has to be!

I sometimes idly consider buying one of the last Patriots again, but reckon my 170mm “super enduro” bike 29er is quicker.

Wouldn’t it be nice if they brought it back though, with 29in wheels.

The 29er stage 6 is 160F/150R, and the 650b Alpine6 is 170F/165R.

Theres also a mullet which I’ve never seen, let alone ridden, 160mm 29er front, 150mm 650b rear. Seems to be worst of both worlds to me?

How rigidly are you chasing that 170mm figure?

The Patriot went away because the Alpine grew into it, just like they introduced the Four to be what the Five was originally; everything gets bigger, slacker and heavier each year, just like a VW golf.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

I sometimes idly consider buying one of the last Patriots again

I can do you a deal on my 2007.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

The last were 2013 or 2014, and even then they weren’t long enough really.

But cheers for the offer.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

The 29er stage 6 is 160F/150R, and the 650b Alpine6 is 170F/165R.

Theres also a mullet which I’ve never seen, let alone ridden, 160mm 29er front, 150mm 650b rear. Seems to be worst of both worlds to me?

How rigidly are you chasing that 170mm figure?

The Patriot went away because the Alpine grew into it

I’ve got a Stage 6 (the original version, with some geometry tweaks) – it’s amazing but very different to my old Patriot. They really should have upped the travel on the new one as the geometry is very progressive and it’ll want to go very fast.

Personally I think the Patriot went away because nobody was buying it. The Alpine’s a superb pedaling enduro bike and the Patriot was always a winch & plummet machine for me.

I don’t really expect Orange to revive the Patriot, but there might be a gap for it as a “super enduro” bike now?

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

The last were 2013 or 2014

That was the reboot. Mine is last of the original lineage.

I don’t really expect Orange to revive the Patriot, but there might be a gap for it as a “super enduro” bike now?

More bike than a Stage 6? Really? I’ve not ridden one but it looks like a lot already.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

There’s a solid case for having more than 150mm rear travel sometimes.

Hence my other bike is 170mm rear. And hence this thread, presumably.

What does Elbry ride now?

Swirly

Brooklyn Machine Works

Loughan

Ooh freeride. My 2003 Jekyll advises me to adjust to engage!

Does Canondale still have the rights to ‘freeride’?

Edit: can’t get linky to work :/

Commencal Supreme SX worth a look OP?

Discontinued although they might have some stock left.

My current ride – best bike I’ve ever ridden in the 180mm category. Bar none.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.