Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Which forks to replace Blutos?
  • big_scot_nanny

Hi Folks,

My 120mm Blutos are done – scratched stanchions, not holding air, and rapidly deteriorating performance even with regular services/seal replacement. Also, they’ve never really been that great – twangy and a bit agricultural in nature regardless of pressure/tokens used. Now 4 years old, they get ridden hard in all conditions, so not too bad I guess.

I’d like some replacements, thinking either Wren or Mastodon, something between 100-120mm.

These will go on a Surly Ice Cream truck, used with 100mm rims/5″ tires or 29+ 50mm rims/3″ tires. Need to be mindful also of not too long a-c (with Mastodon they seems have 2 versions, one with a very long a-c).

Any guidance or experiences you care to share? thanks!

tomhoward

I took my blutos off when I changed frames (they didn’t match) and used the carbon forks that came with the frame. Don’t miss the blutos. Was only running them at 80mm mind.

if money no object, I’d get wrens, otherwise mastodons. But probably another set of blutos

wwaswas

In true STW Style: I switched my Bucksaw to 120mm Fox 34 Factory 650B+ boost forks with 4″ Tyres on 60mm rims and they have been unbelievably better than Bluto’s.

tbh, if it were me and the 5″ tyre was a ‘must’ I’d look at it as two requirements, one for a fat tyre fork and one for 29+ – the performance of mainstream + forks is so much better than dedicated fat ones I’d buy one for that and then something like a Mastodon for the fatty.

iirc the ‘longer’ mastodon’s are specifically for use with 5″ tyres to avoid tyre/crown interfaces.

big_scot_nanny

thanks peeps.

Deffo not rigid forks, I have a pair, even with bad performance having ‘some’ suspension is better than none (for me, for my conditions and riding style – i.e. rocky & crap respectively)

I have thought about the non-fat fork route, but I am trying to keep costs down and avoid swapping forks when I only wanted to change wheels. Cheers for clarity on the longer forks, on CRC it says they are for 27.5 wheels, which didn’t help my understanding.

Any more takers on the Wren Vs Mastodon debate?

wwaswas

The UK Fat Bike FB page has loads of opinions I expect 🙂

tomhoward

Any more takers on the Wren Vs Mastodon debate?

I asked a while ago…

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/anyone-ridden-a-manitou-mastodon-pro-or-wren-fat-fork/

freddiest

There’s a barely used fatlab fork on eBay at what looks a good price (not mine but I know the seller) Think they are the same as a wren.

k1100t
    Free Member

What about a pair of Lauf Carbonara forks…? Or does everyone still think they’re not stiff enough? I was thinking of getting some bounce for the Dune in the new year, so watching with interest to what’s suggested here. I don’t really ride trail centres, so am looking for something to just take the buzz out of rough bridleways and byways.

bri-72

Buzz off a Fat bike?! Less PSIs I think needed. Never had that issue at all, that’s a skinny bike tyre problem.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Which forks to replace Blutos?’ is closed to new replies.