Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Which forks for an alpine?
  • shreck
    Free Member

Cane creek double barrel air shock with pedal switch ordered from tf,which fox forks do you alpine riders recommend?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Marzocchi RC3Ti.

ddmonkey

+11000000 🙂

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Marzocchi RC3Ti on my Five (in 44 flavour)
    Marzocchi RC3Ti on my Patriot (in 66 flavour)

If I were to buy an Alpine, I’ll give you 3 guesses which fork I’d be putting on it. (Clue = it wouldn’t be a Fox one) 😉

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Pike? No one can tell the difference between it and a Lyrik in terms of stiffness, so why not save 300 grams over a Lyrik Solo Air or 700 grams over a Lyrik coil/Marz 55?

As I found out with my Nukeproof Mega, a coil front, air shock rear setup whacks out the centre of gravity of the bike when jumping. Either go coil r/coil f, coil r/air f, or air r/air f.

You’ve chosen an air shock, so go with an air fork. The rear is actually where you need a coil spring as rear shocks are more prone to heat induced spring rate changes when compared to forks, whilst air forks tend to have less seal surface area than air shocks so tend to have less stiction.

One last thing, you really notice losing a lb of weight in the forks when jumping.

stevede
    Free Member

Coil Lyrik on mine, awesome fork.

edd

My Fox Van 36 RC2 FIT. I’m only looking for about £290 posted. 196mm, 1 1/8″ steerer. Recently serviced by Mojo with new stanchions, bushes and SKF seals. Taken from my Alpine 160 frame which I no longer have.

Fox 36 Van RC2 by eddkh, on Flickr

e-mail by eddkh, on Flickr

oliwb
    Free Member

Fox 36 VAN RC2 here….I have both an RP23 air shock and an RC4 coil shock. I chop and change depending on what I’m riding (ie. coil for alpine trip to France in June and mostly air the rest of the time). Balance seems fine between front and rear regardless of shock. I love the Fox forks. Have been totally sold on them after years of riding Marzocchi’s and RockShox. Easy to service, easy to get spare parts does a really good job etc etc. For an alpine I would suggest going with a coil fork through. I have some friends with the 36 Float forks and whilst they’re still a great fork it doesn’t really suit the Alpine (IMHO).

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

That’s because they’re Fox Floats, I truly can’t tell any difference in terms of smoothness between Pikes and my Lyriks. The only thing I can tell is the lack of weight.

No racer uses an air shock rear, coil front. It’s always the other way around. Theres a good reason for that.

johnellison
    Free Member

Fox Float R here. Don’t need anything else, less to go wrong.

justatheory
    Free Member

BOS Deville?

pbooker1995
    Free Member

I would highly recommend the X Fusion Vengeance Air HLR. I’ve had 2 sets and both have been brilliant. I’ve got this setup with a CCDBC rear shock and the bike is just amazing!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Which forks for an alpine?’ is closed to new replies.