Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Which fluid indoor trainer (cheap)
  • mattjevans
    Free Member

Need an indoor trainer (use with the road bike) to help lose weight.

Has to be quiet so I guess fluid necessary. There’s an Elite Crono for 140 on Wiggle – anyone got other suggestions? Don’t want to pay much more than that.

Please don’t tell me to harden up and ride outside because I don’t want to.

andyha
    Free Member

I am selling an Elite Crono fluid if you are interested?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

You can’t beat the wiggle one, I have one, it’s fantastic, pretty realistic, very quiet.

The only downside is that out of the saddle sprints are hard as the wheel isn’t fixed against the roller.

The reviews speak volumes for how good it is.

CrispyCSW

I could be interested in it AndyHa if Matt isn’t – my email is in profile.

hebdenbiker
    Free Member

Hi, I am going through a similar exercise, looking at a replacement trainer for my laptop-controlled Tacx Flow and want to run Trainerroad.

I am not sure how much better the fluid ones are, and also this part of the description of the Crono Fluid on the Wiggle site is a concern:

>>…The result of such innovation is that the power of the pedalling is a function also of the weight of the cyclist …

For Trainerroad I would really want it to be independent of my weight since I assume that their virtual power algorithm will not take weight into account.

mattjevans
    Free Member

It is meant to be a supported trainer for TrainerRoad

kja78
    Free Member

Last winter I borrowed a friend’s Elite Crono hydromag for a few months and thought it was brilliant. Unfortunately he wanted it back so a couple of months ago, being on a tight budget, I bought a Minoura B60 new for about 80 quid. I used it for about 10 minutes, cleaned it, packed it up and sent it back. It really was horrible, rough pedal stroke, incredibly noisy, just nasty. Once the refund came through I stumped up the extra £60 and bought the £140 Elite Crono from wiggle. It really is very nice for the money. Working in a bike shop I’ve tried a couple of the tacx mag ones, fluid really is worth the few extra pounds. Much quieter and a much smoother pedalling action than mag.

Coupled with a few sufferfest videos and you’ll be as fit as a fiddle by summer.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Yes is supported by trainer road.

headpotdog
    Free Member

I’ve also been tempted by the Elite Chrono Fluid trainer at £140, but by the time I’ve added in the cost of a turbo trainer tyre (from my limited experience they eat up regular tyres) and a spare rear wheel & cassette (don’t want to have to change tyres every time I use it) & riser block, the cost is about the same as a set of rollers with built in resistance! Rollers like the Elite Arion Mag unit (£230) wouldn’t need special tyres or a spare wheel and you could just get on & ride without any faffing about with wheels and tyres.

Has anyone tried rollers like this with a built in resistance unit? I’m sure they’d be great for developing pedalling technique, but would they be any good for interval sessions to improving power, for example?

AB
    Free Member

I have the Elite Chrono Fluid from Wiggle. It’s hands down the best turbo I’ve come across – and it really is as quiet as everyone says.

mattjevans
    Free Member

Decided to suck up the extra cost and get a Kurt Road Machine

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

by the time I’ve added in the cost of a turbo trainer tyre (from my limited experience they eat up regular tyres)

The Elite one doesnt eat tyres because the wheel is not fixed in place. Im on the same tyre for about 2 years now, and only just starting to flatten off.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Which fluid indoor trainer (cheap)’ is closed to new replies.