Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • which flat pedals under £50
  • fattylee
    Free Member

After dislocating my knee last October and having two months off the bike, I’m struggling with SPD’s after starting to do longer rides.
    On my commuter I have been running so ancient dmr v8 copies that I rebuilt to run so smooth. I have had these so long all the pins long since disappeared. On my best bike I’ve always used SPD’s ditto the road bike.

Do I man up and just hope it gets better or just go flats on the MTB and see how it goes?

Regards fatty

bikeneil
    Free Member

Time pedals?

funkybaj
    Free Member

Saints can be had under £40.

davenorth1
    Free Member

superstar

yacoby
    Free Member

Carbon Cycles often do the same pedals as superstar but a £10ish cheaper

stenhousemuir
    Free Member

Shimano saint, but remove the washers under the pins.. It transforms them!

Kuco

Second Saints.

wiggles
    Free Member

Superstar nanos

northernmatt

Saints again.

drover
    Free Member

Saints again

ndg
    Free Member

Saints….

widge34
    Free Member

Yep, Saints

richmtb

Carbon cc’s version of the Nanos, only about £30

grum
    Free Member

Carbon CC Nanos +1

nwill1
    Free Member

Wellgo MG 1, light, £25

mindmap3
    Free Member

My Nanos are still going strong after the best part if 18 months and have been used in some grim conditions. Even on a bike with a low bb they still have all of their pins which is a first for me. They grip well with 5 10’s and come in lots of colours if that matters.

Phil_H

If you choose the carbon cycles ones remove the pins and loctite them before use. I didn’t and several fell out.

ruffride
    Free Member

Nanos the rest are just over branded an dont last as long

batman11
    Free Member

Saints chainreaction about £35 and yep remove the washers great pedal.

Olly
    Free Member

Superstar Nano Thru pin.

rocketbike
    Free Member

+1 Wellgo Mg1. All over eBay for around £30. Light, cheap, great platform and mega grippy.

I_Ache
    Free Member

At the risk of sounding like a parrot, Saints. Much better than my Strait lines that are twice the price.

Big-Pete
    Free Member

Nano through pin

stenhousemuir
    Free Member

Saints

bartimaeus
    Free Member

Nano through pin or MG-1… Nanos feel bigger and have a slightly better platform, but MG-1s are a bit lighter. I have a pair of each – and each have survived 2,500 miles with no problems.

woolymonster
    Free Member

If you can get them then Saints for damn sure…But if not, then don’t discount Nukeproof Electron pedals (Nylon-reinforced composite body), or Neutron pedals (metal version).

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

Saints are nice, but if its just for a commuter id go with some Plastic jobbies and straps?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Do I man up and just hope it gets better

Listen to your body, if you want to try something different CB Candies are night and day better for float and movement than shimano. The new versions are more robust and bearing changes can be done in 10 mins.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Wellgo mg1 with a few longer pins in them

Blueadvocate

Have Saints (as mentioned above remove the washers) on one bike and Nanos on another – like them both.

grum
    Free Member

I’ve used Wellgo MG1s and Nanos and the Nanoes are miles better – thinner profile and bigger platform, grippier. No contest IMO.

GHill

I’ve got a set of the Nanos (from Carbon Cycles/Exotic) and think they’re pretty good, platform is a good size for my UK13 feet and I’ve managed to replace all of the pins I’ve lost so far.

I’ve had MG1s in the past and think they’re a bit too soft, the bearings died a bit too quickly (probably 9 months) for my liking too.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Another vote for Wellgos here. Bought a pair as “get me home” pedals with a new bike once and decided I liked them so much I never got round to replacing them!

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have Nukeproof’s (electron/proton can never remember which) on both bikes, very happy with them

By the way I have two dodgy knees (broken ACL in both so twisting is dangerous) and I have much greater confidence with flats. I also think spds give more power due to upstroke but that equally pits more pressure on your knees. The only downside with my flats is all the dings in my shin/calf from minor offs, the grip pins on the pedals are ‘kin sharp. With five-ten shoes and Nukeproof’s my feet are very firmly planted on the pedals.

waveydavey
    Free Member

Another vote for Nukproof electrons, decent price too at £35(ish).

ricardo666
    Free Member

my shins love superstar nano’s

NormalMan

waveydavey – Member
    Another vote for Nukproof electrons, decent price too at £35(ish).

Agreed. I bought some when I got my HT and liked them so much I ordered another pair for the FS.
    My previous fav were Mg1’s that now are on the wife’s bike.

freeagent
    Free Member

Saints – bought some this week…

warpcow
    Free Member

Can’t say I’ve noticed a difference in feel between my Nanos and friends’ Saints. Saint bearings seem to be hit or miss though; one friend is on his 3rd warranty pair now.

badllama
    Free Member

Superstar Nano Thru pin.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘which flat pedals under £50’ is closed to new replies.